Official Rant of the Day

I just did same day delivery for a knee brace on Amazon, I decided to give it some time this way first, and if it doesn't feel any better after the weekend, I will make an appointment at a doctor.

This article might offer some confidence in "seeing how it goes". Good luck! Hope you are pain free in no time.

This article might offer some confidence in "seeing how it goes". Good luck! Hope you are pain free in no time.

That article definitely tells me I don’t need to see a doctor just yet. There is no instability for my knee at all, it’s strictly the bending/straightening movement that hurts, everything is just fine and in fact there is zero pain unless and until I try to bend it.

My mother in law was a professional tennis player and has had every knee surgery out there, plus two knee replacements and both hips too from years of playing tennis. She told me to get a brace, ice, elevate, ibuprofen, and give it some time before I rush to the doctor. So that’s what I’m doing.

My kids have been home now for the past 3 days. 3 year old and 1 year old both should be at daycare. 1 year old just starting, 3 year old has been there for a year. Home the past 3 days because of cough and runny noses. Why? Supposedly a croup outbreak at daycare, so we keep them home to follow the rules.

Today we get an email. "When are they coming back? Also, we want to talk to you about your 3 year old, what has been going on with him, and the plans we have going forward." Great. This will be fun.

Randomly like a week ago he started biting kids at school. Don't know why, they don't know why, so what do we do. We've been talking to him about it. Reading books about it with him. Discussing what to do instead.

He has been resisting potty training at every turn. I regret that we put it off as long as we did. The wife decided when they had time off at home during covid to not potty train, then we had the 2nd baby, and literally the **** has hit the fan. Nothing we do is working.

I dread picking him up every single day. Behavioral reports are a daily occurence. "He bit someone." Ok why? What was going on. Was there teacher intervention? Usually the answers are "We don't know."

I am at a complete loss. Hopefully he doesn't get kicked out tomorrow, and that they are working up a plan of what to do. Clearly nothing we are doing as parents works. I'm not trained for this parenting thing. I haven't a clue what to do anymore.

Don;t beat yourself up. It's been a bizarre year, and none of us are trained. I could tell you some things that worked with our kids, but today those [non-corporal] things would probably trigger a visit from CPS. I would expect they will have at least one plan to discuss, and that it won't involve expulsion.

Why does a paper cut hurt so much?!?! Managed to get one right across the knuckle of my finger and it is stinging
Crazy glue is your friend here

Today we get an email. "When are they coming back? Also, we want to talk to you about your 3 year old, what has been going on with him, and the plans we have going forward." Great. This will be fun.

To me, this sounds like they don't plan to kick him out. If they have "plans going forward", that sounds like they have some idea of what to do about his behavioral issues.

He has been resisting potty training at every turn. I regret that we put it off as long as we did. The wife decided when they had time off at home during covid to not potty train, then we had the 2nd baby, and literally the **** has hit the fan. Nothing we do is working.

This is the part I don't understand. Do you enjoy changing poopy diapers? And surely your wife knew she was pregnant, and if the older one wasn't potty trained, there would soon be 2 poopy diapers to change! And having extra time at home because of the covid means you are right there to reinforce the potty training lessons.

I am at a complete loss. Hopefully he doesn't get kicked out tomorrow, and that they are working up a plan of what to do. Clearly nothing we are doing as parents works. I'm not trained for this parenting thing. I haven't a clue what to do anymore.

My little Brother had a biting issue when he was small. Guess what happened when he tried that with my Mom? She cracked him across the face! Open hand, of course, but hard enough to sting! This was back in the day when corporal punishment was still tolerated and, sometimes, even recommended! It taught kids that their actions had consequences. Of course PC culture has rendered that out of fashion and you can see the results in the overall society.

But, don't beat yourself up. Our parents faked their way through it with us. We faked our way through it. And your kids will fake their way through it. Kids don't come with an owner's manual.

Last edited:
A local TV station has been renovating an existing building and one of my customers is doing the HVAC work. Several months back he contacted me about the server room. Trying to get information from the IT staff was like pulling teeth; eventually we were told they wanted 18 tons of cooling capacity. We kicked a few ideas around, and came up with a proposal that would use up some of my opportunity stock equipment that was left over from previous jobs. We meet with one of the managers in charge of construction, discussed it with him and after some time to review he approved our proposal.
Fast forward to earlier in the week when my customer started to take equipment to site. IT was there and within minutes they were all "I don't really think that's what we're looking for". He tried to get clarification from them but they were vague, just that they didn't want what we were selling. He tried talking to the manager about it, and it was as though he had been chastised for approving our proposal, because now he won't acknowledge anything. So we get them to call a conference call/video.
Meeting started at 2:00, with my customer, two IT staff and the manager. Within about 30 seconds I knew that we wouldn't be installing the equipment that had been proposed. Again, they weren't sure exactly what they wanted, just that they didn't want our stuff.
Now don't get me wrong, I can deal with losing the sale. I just put the equipment back in the corner of the warehouse it came out of and try to find another home for it. What frustrates me most about the whole ordeal is that the meeting we had today should have occurred about 6 months ago. If the "data centre" as they refer to it is as critical to them as they claim, then they should have put more consideration into where and how they built the room. They couldn't have put it in a worse location within the building, and it's about two sizes too small. The roof structure will not support the weight of any rooftop equipment, and the ceiling does not lend itself to the installation of ductwork of the size they will require. However, they're IT guys so they don't understand these limitations. "This is how we want it, and anything is possible" is their attitude.
And they are absolutely correct - with enough time and money anything is possible. Unfortunately I don't think they have enough of either to make it successful.

Oh, and shortly after this call (yes I was in a great frame of mind) the young guy they hired called me and wanted to know if I would have time to meet with him and help him understand how to install 5 screws on a piece of equipment because he couldn't figure it out himself. Seriously? o_O:rolleyes::mad::sick:

probably the only thing i will miss about masks is not having to smell your nasty smokers breath. please smokers don't take those last 10 puffs right outside the door and then walk in. no one wants to smell that.

Well today sucked! I broke my boob @ work! Severe strain/tear of the left pectoral muscle. No regular work until I am reevaluated, hopefully next week, and no club swings until then. Hopefully only miss golf this weekend. 😔

Well today sucked! I broke my boob @ work! Severe strain/tear of the left pectoral muscle. No regular work until I am reevaluated, hopefully next week, and no club swings until then. Hopefully only miss golf this weekend. 😔
That does suck. Hopefully a quick recovery is in store.

That reminded me of a worker's comp case we had when I was managing a plant in Vermont. The guy was getting WC for a chest injury and, at the hearing, told the administrator, "It only hurts when I pull my compound bow." His claim was allowed.

That reminded me of a worker's comp case we had when I was managing a plant in Vermont. The guy was getting WC for a chest injury and, at the hearing, told the administrator, "It only hurts when I pull my compound bow." His claim was allowed.

I got shoulder surgery because I could no longer draw my compound bow, or swing a club 🤣

I got new irons today, I am off tomorrow, but we are going to Greensboro and Burlington for the weekend!

My golf season has officially ended yesterday as I fell headfirst 12 ft, Broke my wrist, have a severe neck injury, although no broken bones.:mad::mad:
They couldnt get the bones set right so will have to have surgery next week. They didn't want to put me under because of the neck injury so they gave me some sort of LSD drug. Man was that weird. I could hear them talking but couldn't see them. But it was quite painful while they tried to set the bones.

My golf season has officially ended yesterday as I fell headfirst 12 ft, Broke my wrist, have a severe neck injury, although no broken bones.:mad::mad:
They couldnt get the bones set right so will have to have surgery next week. They didn't want to put me under because of the neck injury so they gave me some sort of LSD drug. Man was that weird. I could hear them talking but couldn't see them. But it was quite painful while they tried to set the bones.
Ouch man, that sucks. Did you fall off a ladder or something? Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery!

What did you fall off of? 12 feet is a bad fall, especially head first. Very lucky, hope you heel fast.

Ouch man, that sucks. Did you fall off a ladder or something? Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery!
I was on a plank nailing the first row of roof sheathing and lost my balance somehow. Feel fortunate that I didn't break my neck or get paralyzed. First major accident after 49 years building.

Very sorry to hear that, what did you do to cause a fall headfirst 12 ft? I would say you are lucky to be able to walk and use your hands so missing 1 golf season is the least of it - do the PT - it helps, it may suck at first, but it really does help. Good luck and get heathy soon.

I'm getting a little tired of the price increases I'm seeing on products. Gas, meats, and groceries in general.

We purchased lunch today at the local Galleria Indoor Mall food court. Purchased a $9.99, 2 large slices, pepperoni pizza lunch special, and a small spaghetti tub $3.40 with sauce only. Came with a free bottle of water.

On the reciept, was an extra $2.00 "premium" charge. I didn't look at the bill till we were already eating. So I go back up and ask what the $2 premium charge was for. I was told it was because we added pepperoni to our pizza slices. I then pointed out the sign that showed 2 slices of peperoni pizza for $9.99. The worker told me it was an old sign.......that the $9.99 was for a cheese only pizza slices. Added toppings were extra. Shook my head, and walked back to our table after mumbling something about a little "bait & switch" action going on.

All the best in your recovery!

I'm getting a little tired of the price increases I'm seeing on products. Gas, meats, and groceries in general.

We purchased lunch today at the local Galleria Indoor Mall food court. Purchased a $9.99, 2 large slices, pepperoni pizza lunch special, and a small spaghetti tub $3.40 with sauce only. Came with a free bottle of water.

On the reciept, was an extra $2.00 "premium" charge. I didn't look at the bill till we were already eating. So I go back up and ask what the $2 premium charge was for. I was told it was because we added pepperoni to our pizza slices. I then pointed out the sign that showed 2 slices of peperoni pizza for $9.99. The worker told me it was an old sign.......that the $9.99 was for a cheese only pizza slices. Added toppings were extra. Shook my head, and walked back to our table after mumbling something about a little "bait & switch" action going on.

That is total BS! If there is a sign up, then that is the price in play! You cannot advertise what you are NOT selling a product for. If that were me I'd have ripped the sign down and thrown it at them!

That is total BS! If there is a sign up, then that is the price in play! You cannot advertise what you are NOT selling a product for. If that were me I'd have ripped the sign down and thrown it at them!
Yeah, probably in my other, much younger life. I have mellowed out quite a bit since then, or so my Wife says....lol Besides, it was one of those big 3X3 foot signs, that are lighted, and computer generated. I did fill out the customer survey listed on the reciept.

I am writing/editing an annual progress report for a project. It is currently 99 pages long! My brain is mush.

When you've been in industry over forty years, you get reminded of a lot of past stuff. At my first employer, an engineer had to write a quarterly progress report on construction of a pilot plant. All the mandated sections made it run over forty painful pages. So in the middle of a paragraph on Page 32, right in the middle of a mandated section on something like the metallurgy of the restroom stall dividers, there appeared this sentence: "If you have read this far, please call H_____ G_____ at x532 and I will send you $1.00." There were over forty people on the distribution, and he paid out one dollar.

My dad left his wedge on the course. After asking a few groups if they saw it, one replied that there is a group that found it and was asking around. We waited, asked every group that came off the course, and asked the pro shop. No luck. Called the course twice over the last few days, no luck.

I hate when people keep stuff that isn't theirs. Unfortunately, this is norm for my area.

Back