Official Rant of the Day

So we have a new guy on our team. I was somehow selected to train him. I thought no big deal, but the guy has no idea how to use word or really computers in general and our job is 100% done on computers. Not sure how he was hired not understanding computers and word, at least the basic functions. I'm trying to make it as basic as possible for him, but he's not getting it. Not sure what else to do right now. Just frustrating.
I feel for you man - I just went through this at work, only in my case it was technical and hands-on stuff. Like you, how he got through the hiring process was questionable from the day I met him. Several of us tried to tell the guys who hired him but it felt like it fell on deaf ears. I showed him step by step how to do simple tasks and he still couldn't do them by himself. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.
I had faith that the situation would correct itself eventually, and that happened on Monday. In fairness they said they tried their best to give him the benefit of the doubt, but after four months of mediocrity they finally ripped off the band-aid and let him go.

Reading through the "choose your dream foursome" thread I had to chuckle when @JB had to point out that a certain entries didn't meet the rules. It was a perfect reflection on my rant for the day - I left my cell phone on site Tuesday morning to act as a hotspot so I could monitor a unit remotely. I changed my voicemail message to state that I did not have my phone, didn't know when I would get it back and that I could not retrieve messages.

I retrieved my phone this afternoon and there were fourteen voicemails. Four of them were from the same individual, with each consecutive message getting more irate as to why I wasn't getting back to him.

If only there was some way I could have let people know that I wouldn't be available for a couple of days.... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I forgot to mention: as part of the updated voicemail message I provided an alternate phone number for contact.

Last edited:
Had a message from my playing partner, he has had a positive lateral flow test this morning, so it looks like we won't be playing in a tournament tomorrow now

Spoke to him and apparently someone who was at the same function as them the other day has tested positive so they were contacted, and after doing their tests, he has tested positive yet his wife has tested negative

There was a break in tjhe monsoon, so I trimmed a few bushes around the outside tonight. Couldn't complete a burning bush because I uncovered a bird's nest with two little birdlings in it. If I had been half an inch lower I would have mangled them, and they still may not make it because now the nest is exposed. I didn't know it was there, but I thought I'd waited long enough to avoid this. If it had been a chipmunk or mice, I wouldn't have sweated it, but birds? All they do is eat bugs and bomb my car. Feeling much regret right now.

It's apparently a good thing for the birdies that I'm much more accurate with my hedge trimmer than with my irons. This picture taken yesterday. Looks like all three will make it.

1627046548497.jpeg

i think our pup is nearing the end. she's over 15 years old, so it's been a long good life. but it's still sad.

i think our pup is nearing the end. she's over 15 years old, so it's been a long good life. but it's still sad.

It is sad. Sounds like you're a little farther down the road than we are with our 14 year old Lab, but maybe just a little. The absolute worst part of having a dog.

It is sad. Sounds like you're a little farther down the road than we are with our 14 year old Lab, but maybe just a little. The absolute worst part of having a dog.

she's been declining for awhile. sleeping most of the day. doesn't really want to be touched. then all of a sudden in the last couple weeks she's exhibiting classic signs of dementia. she just paces around the house endlessly. she'll stare at walls, into corners, just off into space at nothing really. eating less. whimpers and shivers for no reason, then stops as abruptly as she starts. she seems to have forgotten that she's supposed to use the bathroom outside. we've been blessed with many years with her. it may be time to let her rest.

she's been declining for awhile. sleeping most of the day. doesn't really want to be touched. then all of a sudden in the last couple weeks she's exhibiting classic signs of dementia. she just paces around the house endlessly. she'll stare at walls, into corners, just off into space at nothing really. eating less. whimpers and shivers for no reason, then stops as abruptly as she starts. she seems to have forgotten that she's supposed to use the bathroom outside. we've been blessed with many years with her. it may be time to let her rest.

My wife has been trying to prolong our dog's quality of life. We have the incresed sleeping, but she is still with it. She goes to a holistic vet, and has almost as many supplements as my wife and I put together. I'd say it all helps because of what happens should we miss a day, but the outcome is inevitable. Our vets have told us we'll know when it's time. I always said I'd rather wait one day too long than to do it one day too early, and I think we called it about right. I'm sure you and your family will, too.

So sorry to hear that Chris. We've been through that a couple times in the past few years.. never fun

Sorry to hear. Always soooo hard.

Our 6.5 year old refrigerator was not keeping things cold the other day for second time in three months. Got everything moved, first to the 29 year old fridge in the basement, then to an iced-down cooler, then to a stopgap fridge we found in stock at Lowe's. Put a thermometer in the empty fridge and it registered 80 degrees. My normal repair guy told me it was likely a compressor. parts covered under warranty but not labor, but I would have to go through an authorized &% brand repair agent. First agent said they weren't booking &% calls, because of problems getting the parts from overseas. Second agent said it would be four weeks until they could get out to see me, and my minimum repair bill would be $1200 for a unit that cost $1800 new. She described it as an "older" unit and said the repair 30-40 "newer" units of the &% brand every month. This is in an area of roughly one million people.

So we'll use the stopgap unit until we redo the kitchen next year, and I'm rethinking ditching the old relic in the basement. Any new appliances are not going to be that brand that just died.

hang in there bro. We are starting to see the decline with our oldest dog. She seems to have more good than bad days, but the bad days are catching up and her physical limitations are showing more and more

PSA: When using Icy Hot for your torn pectoral muscle, don't get it on your nipple!!😳😢

Our 6.5 year old refrigerator was not keeping things cold the other day for second time in three months. Got everything moved, first to the 29 year old fridge in the basement, then to an iced-down cooler, then to a stopgap fridge we found in stock at Lowe's. Put a thermometer in the empty fridge and it registered 80 degrees. My normal repair guy told me it was likely a compressor. parts covered under warranty but not labor, but I would have to go through an authorized &% brand repair agent. First agent said they weren't booking &% calls, because of problems getting the parts from overseas. Second agent said it would be four weeks until they could get out to see me, and my minimum repair bill would be $1200 for a unit that cost $1800 new. She described it as an "older" unit and said the repair 30-40 "newer" units of the &% brand every month. This is in an area of roughly one million people.

So we'll use the stopgap unit until we redo the kitchen next year, and I'm rethinking ditching the old relic in the basement. Any new appliances are not going to be that brand that just died.
I’ve repaired many of our GE I’m called top of the line crap, including both the fridge and microwave. Both because they are built in odd size and really expensive.

Please find your model on Google, track down the issue, then search for the DIY on YouTube.

But genuine parts on Amazon and do it yourself. If the fridge is not that old it’s possible that it’s semi easily repaired.

Good luck.

Sorry to hear that, @McLovin. They're family members, it's so hard to let them go.

I’ve repaired many of our GE I’m called top of the line crap, including both the fridge and microwave. Both because they are built in odd size and really expensive.

Please find your model on Google, track down the issue, then search for the DIY on YouTube.

But genuine parts on Amazon and do it yourself. If the fridge is not that old it’s possible that it’s semi easily repaired.

Good luck.

Hmmm. Thanks! I will check that out.

Everything lights up, compressor runs continuously and gets slightly warm to the touch after an hour. Everything seems to work but no cooling.

BTW, it's an LG, not a GE.

It's apparently a good thing for the birdies that I'm much more accurate with my hedge trimmer than with my irons. This picture taken yesterday. Looks like all three will make it.

. . . and the nest was empty this afternoon

Hearing things like this always put me in a melancholy mood. Its been 2 years since I've lost my best friend of 13 years and not a day goes by that I don't think of him. You will know when the time is right to let her go and then have the rest of your life with fond memories of the good times. 😔

Everything lights up, compressor runs continuously and gets slightly warm to the touch after an hour. Everything seems to work but no cooling.

typing "lg refrigerator won't stay cold" into google brings up a few YouTube videos. Apparently the linear compressors aren't very reliable.

I ran into a somewhat similar problem with a basic top/bottom GE that I have in the garage. The freezer gets ice cold, but the fridge would only get to about 60*. Everything seemed to be working fine. After trying some troubleshooting (replaced fan, replaced temperature sensor) nothing worked. I ended up removing a big plastic airflow diverter-type thing on the inside ceiling of the fridge, it is now cooling well enough to get the beer cold (~38*). Not sure if it is a "band-aid" type fix, but I'm not too concerned since it's a garage fridge.

It's funny - not really, I think I agree to some extent, my sister sent well concealed cash to my daughter about 2 or 3 years ago, magic that the envelope was torn and no cash inside - and the note was fully intact. I'm not trying to speculate, but well, it's funny.

I do wonder this though - is it possible that some things get better service from shipping (all of them) in certain areas? I am near DC never lost a package or sent one that arrived damaged (other than that cash) - via USPS. Same for UPS or FEDEX, but both UPS an FEDEX have been extremely slow here, much slower than USPS.

Now, I did send a package to Hawaii, and it took forever, and another to southern VA, it too took forever, both of those (sent priority, in USPS packaging), were sent at the height of the USPS issues of late Dec - into early Feb.

Still - I wonder how much (If any) is sort of regional, might be interesting to see where say Fedex is best for shipping, versus the others - could help us as both shippers and receivers in choosing the right option.

I do remain steadfast (despite your package) in the Fedex ground is the worst option for most people, most of the time!

It's uncanny... I'd venture a guess to say that "someone" has years of experience handling envelopes and can tell by feel whether there's cash in it or not... and they're able to lighten said envelope of its heavy load of bills.

I ordered clubs for my wife on the 12th and had them fed ex on the 15th so no complaint but I do have a rant.

I unpacked the 9 clubs. 3 hybrids and 6i through sw, exactly what I ordered. I opened the box in the living room and we went though them; all present. I brought a few of them out to the garage to re-grip them. Then I brought out more to be re-gripped and somehow in that process misplaced the 6 iron. It was definitely included but after three days of searching, it appears to have vanished.

We have searched and searched in every room, every garage, every vehicle, my golf bag, all around the yard and property, in trash barrels, in the shipping box, under couches, behind doors, in the refrigerator, the oven, you know, we're down to crazy places. It is simply gone and how do you lose a club? It's not a set of car keys. Cripes...truly frustrating because I've done the give up looking, it'll just show up sometime thing a couple of times. It ain't showing up.

The only scenario I can imagine is a real doozy. A bear busted in through the garage window and got to the trash this week....dragged a couple of bags out and hauled em off toward the woods. Did he snatch up the club and run off with it?

...yeah, Like a said, a real doozy but I'm pulling my hair out in search of WTH happened to it.

Worm hole. That's where the club is. Somewhere else someone just found a 6i and is wondering how it got there.

Or! You only THOUGHT you saw a 6i and it was actually never there... regardless of whether you think it was there or not.

Or! It was aliens.:confused2::LOL::LOL::LOL:

It's uncanny... I'd venture a guess to say that "someone" has years of experience handling envelopes and can tell by feel whether there's cash in it or not... and they're able to lighten said envelope of its heavy load of bills.

Worm hole. That's where the club is. Somewhere else someone just found a 6i and is wondering how it got there.

Or! You only THOUGHT you saw a 6i and it was actually never there... regardless of whether you think it was there or not.

Or! It was aliens.:confused2::LOL::LOL::LOL:

The damn thing is still in the worm hole! At least it wasn't a middle number and she'll hit the 6 hybrid about the same.

...I'm still blaming the bear.

Sorry. Ours are GE, i think it’s the compressor, ours ran but did not cool. Almost all the components are modular plus a few wires and screws. If you can get access relatively easy you can likely replace it.

good luck!

Back