Official Rant of the Day

Yes I would l love to hear my FIL story about his old job for the 100th time.

I have one of those too. It sounds like a by product of getting older.

I chose to work at a Big4 firm again in 2019 when I got this job, after vowing I would never return to one, knowing it would require sacrifices, long hours, lower pay than industry and general misery at times. I think I have run out of my patience and ability to remain bought into the 'learning value proposition' that they sell.

The sensation of just being another monkey building an invisible pyramid that no one will ever look at is just too real these days.

Little man is looking really pale, I fear he’s coming down with something. :(

Double rant for today

First up, was supposed to be playing golf today but due to the storm hitting the UK the course was closed

Second, due to said storm we have some damage to the roof over the kitchen which Jen found out when she came downstairs this morning to see water dripping through the ceiling. Managed to get a roofer to come and look and it isn't a big repair needed but he can't do it for a few days so need to hope the weather doesn't get any worse

As a guy who drives an F-250 crew cab, I approve of this message.
20211126_172349.jpg
Pulling up beside it the length of the spot looked questionable at best. What's that motto - if it fits it ships?

You build a brand new building, and make the parking spots too small. Why. Do normal things.

In many cases you can blame planning boards. They want to minimize number of parking spaces and paved area. Often they “ bank” parking spaces - green now, reserved for lot expansion

My parents' house is like a terrarium.

1120DECD-5217-4036-A48F-262FFBD5B0A7.jpeg

I need about a week totally unplugged.

Preach. This week has absolutely kicked my ass. Cold for me, then 10 year old had to go to minor emergency because she threw up every night for 4 days and lost 5 pounds. No explanation. Mix in her b-day, thanksgiving and wife’s b-day, and then sheeting and stucco repair I have going on. And I start a trial tomorrow so I’m headed to the office now on a beautiful day that I should be golfing.

I am feeling this song so hard right now.

For the first time in a long time we used an artificial tree that a friend of ours gave to us for free last year. It’s a huge tree but the lights didn’t work. I just went and cut all the lights and wires off and strung up new ones. We weren’t necessarily trying to save money for it but it was such a nice tree and it’s still strong so it holds all the ornaments up really well. When we did buy trees, Costco normally has them here in North Tx for around $65.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After I completed my MPA in August, and after we moved our daughter up to her dorm at the University of Arkansas, I took a few weekends in a row and did nothing but watch football. It was nice just sitting around and not studying for a change.

Freaking gout!!!

In many cases you can blame planning boards. They want to minimize number of parking spaces and paved area. Often they “ bank” parking spaces - green now, reserved for lot expansion

Yep.Watched a Joe Rogan podcast today with Randall Carlson. Designing and building is how he makes his money, although that's ot what the podcast was about. However, in a segment when subjecting ones self to authority came up, he said that 40 years ago when he was getting started, you might not need a permit at all, depending upon where the job was. 20 years ago, you might need 2 or 3, and could usually get that wrapped up in a week. He said now that he had to go before 7 or 8 board and took almost a month to get all the permits he needed for a project.

Broken bones I didn’t have time to deal with when they happened. Starting to add up and suck now that it’s gotten cold.

Well today was the straw that broke the camel’s back. I have had knee pain since April and hit an MRI a couple of weeks ago and I have a torn meniscus from when I played hockey 15 years ago. It was kinda getting better, but playing today I felt a sharp pain after hitting my tee shot. I then tried to hit my approach and it felt like someone stabbed me in the knee with a knife. Had to quit and go home after only 5 holes and now I can’t fully extend my knee or hardly walk due to the swelling and pain. Looks like my golf is over until I can get it surgically fixed. This SUCKS!

After I completed my MPA in August, and after we moved our daughter up to her dorm at the University of Arkansas, I took a few weekends in a row and did nothing but watch football. It was nice just sitting around and not studying for a change.

A good unplugged period is good for the soul.

Well today was the straw that broke the camel’s back. I have had knee pain since April and hit an MRI a couple of weeks ago and I have a torn meniscus from when I played hockey 15 years ago. It was kinda getting better, but playing today I felt a sharp pain after hitting my tee shot. I then tried to hit my approach and it felt like someone stabbed me in the knee with a knife. Had to quit and go home after only 5 holes and now I can’t fully extend my knee or hardly walk due to the swelling and pain. Looks like my golf is over until I can get it surgically fixed. This SUCKS!

That does not sound enjoyable! Hope you can get all fixed up quick!

I’m done caring. I have a project that I said back in June I don’t have time for. (I only got involved in it last February when I asked a question on it because I could see the ball was completely dropped). me not having time was ignored. I got a quote from another party on August 6 to complete the work. The response - “that’s too expensive”. Okay, then come up With another solution mr Project Manager. Two weeks ago, I said once again here are your two options right now
  1. Me drop everything I’m doing until end of year and focus 100% of my time on this like this (I’m billing 50+ hours a week on other projects).
  2. outsource it like I suggested in August.
Here we are and the PM/my company is sitting on issuing the PO as if some miracle will happen and it becomes cheaper. all the while time is ticking away and the deadline has not changed. Zero f***s given now by me, except when I get the question “why are we behind?”

I took off my wedding ring this morning and forgot to put it back on. It feels so damn funny without that thing on my finger.

I took off my wedding ring this morning and forgot to put it back on. It feels so damn funny without that thing on my finger.
I don’t think I’ve gone longer than an hour or two in over 16 years with my ring. It does feel odd.

Back