Official Rant of the Day

Today, I have reached a breaking point of people who need prescriptive detail to do their jobs..... my gawd does anyone have critical thinking skills anymore.... is it too much to ask?

People who say living the dream... It is what it is... They're is literally no other option

Trying to go through a divorce process calmly with my bi-polar manic wife of 20 years. I love her to death, but my patience is about tapped out. F mental illness

Enough with the rain! Spent the weekend up at the family lake house getting ready for the holiday weekend and just got word from the neighbors that there is severe flooding 😳 the lake is up over a foot since Sunday 😳 and our dock is completely submerged, luckily the pontoon boat is still tied to it but man that is a lot of water

Enough with the rain! Spent the weekend up at the family lake house getting ready for the holiday weekend and just got word from the neighbors that there is severe flooding 😳 the lake is up over a foot since Sunday 😳 and our dock is completely submerged, luckily the pontoon boat is still tied to it but man that is a lot of water

Every night we are panicked about flooding because of history and the severe amount of rain we have been having! Yuck hope everything is ok!

Allergies have kicked in really bad today & now have a sinus headache!

So I believe the other day I posted about our server crashing at work. Friday, despite it being my day off I drove an hour each way to pick up replacement drives that were required. Fast forward to today and I get a call around 10:30 that the box is back up and running, and it appears that we didn't lose very much data. Great, I think to myself but I hold off letting anybody else know..... just in case.....

I was told my the tech that one thing that couldn't be recovered were the log files for our SQL database. Didn't seem like a problem, I use a cloud backup service that protects all four servers. I restore the log files from the cloud, and.... still no SQL. So I reach out to the IT company we use: "Sorry, we can't help you with that". Really? So I reach out to the company that supports our accounting software (database #1) - now I'm waiting for someone to contact me. I reach out to the company that supports our CRM software (database #2) - now we wait for someone to respond. So, I reach out to the service we use for backup to see if they can help me. Guess what? I get bounced around between four departments before someone finally tells me I should hear back within 24-48 hours.

I understand that calls get handled on a first come, first serve basis but I really would have thought that calling one of the companies that we pay good money to for service agreements and saying the phrase "our system is down" would at least warrant a "I'll be in touch first thing tomorrow" type of response.

I’ve been working on swinging faster and I was super excited to swing the 7 iron 96 mph on two swings. And then I grab the 4 iron expecting over 100. 97. WTH is that?!

I have had a Husqvarna leaf blower for several years. End of last year it wouldn't start, so I ordered a new ignition coil for it. Fired right up. First time I needed it this year it wouldn't start. Did a bit of detective work, and wound up buying an OEM coil at $ 100. As a precautionary measure I changed the fuel filter and lines at $ 20. New spark plug $ 10.
It's a $ 240 blower and guess what? It still won't f******g start! :mad: I really want to buy a Dewalt cordless set to replace it and my perfectly good Husky trimmer, but I'm so far invested at this point I can't give up for thought of it being something really simple :banghead:

Well, looks like the new Bronco won't be introduced until next year now. I guess my beater will get driven for a while longer.

Well, looks like the new Bronco won't be introduced until next year now. I guess my beater will get driven for a while longer.
You're not the only one waiting for it. Everything I've seen says they're revealing it within the next few weeks. Sales start in the fall, and deliveries start in December or early next year. Another 9 months of rust reducing resale value on my truck.

I have had a Husqvarna leaf blower for several years. End of last year it wouldn't start, so I ordered a new ignition coil for it. Fired right up. First time I needed it this year it wouldn't start. Did a bit of detective work, and wound up buying an OEM coil at $ 100. As a precautionary measure I changed the fuel filter and lines at $ 20. New spark plug $ 10.
It's a $ 240 blower and guess what? It still won't f******g start! :mad: I really want to buy a Dewalt cordless set to replace it and my perfectly good Husky trimmer, but I'm so far invested at this point I can't give up for thought of it being something really simple :banghead:
Stick with it. My husq. Back pack is a champ. Make sure you drain the gas at the end of the season.

Stick with it. My husq. Back pack is a champ. Make sure you drain the gas at the end of the season.
After dinner and an early evening beer I decided to muck around with it some more. I did get it to start. Once. I've narrowed it down to the carburetor as the purge bulb won't reset after being depressed. New bulb, lines and filter. Gotta be something in the carb that's blocking the fuel flow.

After dinner and an early evening beer I decided to muck around with it some more. I did get it to start. Once. I've narrowed it down to the carburetor as the purge bulb won't reset after being depressed. New bulb, lines and filter. Gotta be something in the carb that's blocking the fuel flow.
If its a 4-stroke engine (regular gas), I'd say its probably the pilot jet in the carb. Depends on the carb if it can be removed and cleaned or replaced, some modern small engine carbs you can't get to the pilot jet and have to replace the whole carb. If its a 2-stroke this is less likely, as the oil mixed with the gas acts as a good fuel conditioner, helping prevent the damage modern gas can do to a carburetor.

Funerals suck

thats all

I am flipping between CNN and fox right now....and its nuts. Both are annoying me

I haven’t watched any TV news in the last few weeks other than catching the local weather for 5 minutes a handful of times. I’m guessing when Covid 19 is hopefully over in a year I will permanently stay away from TV news of any kind.

I haven’t watched any TV news in the last few weeks other than catching the local weather for 5 minutes a handful of times. I’m guessing when Covid 19 is hopefully over in a year I will permanently stay away from TV news of any kind.
They don't tell us nothing good no how.

I'm so turned off to mainstream network and cable "news" (in quotes for maximum sarcasm) that I'll probably never watch any of it again.

The only news I watch is the weather channel. At least when they’re wrong, I’m half expecting it.

We had a couple of gully washers today. In the midst of the second one, I get a call to get to my lab, quick. My lab is split into two parts. I had leaks around the roof drains, with water pouring on my lab benches and floor in both sections. Fortunately no expensive equipment got soaked. Moved what I could, and covered everything else with thick plastic. Then I noticed water geysering up from the floor drain in one of the sections every so often (which explained the water in one section of my lab where there was no apparent roof leak). Spent a couple hours mopping, and picking up ceiling tile that had water-logged and collapsed. An absolute mess.

We had a couple of gully washers today. In the midst of the second one, I get a call to get to my lab, quick. My lab is split into two parts. I had leaks around the roof drains, with water pouring on my lab benches and floor in both sections. Fortunately no expensive equipment got soaked. Moved what I could, and covered everything else with thick plastic. Then I noticed water geysering up from the floor drain in one of the sections every so often (which explained the water in one section of my lab where there was no apparent roof leak). Spent a couple hours mopping, and picking up ceiling tile that had water-logged and collapsed. An absolute mess.
Nightmare. Hopefully everything survives

Nightmare. Hopefully everything survives
Thanks. It appears that, barring a new leak somewhere else, everything of significant value was spared and the stuff that did get wet is still probably functional. The floor and some of our cabinetry may not be so lucky, but at least that is less of an impact on our work than having to replace equipment critical for research. Just wish we didn't have so much rain in the immediate forecast.

I noticed this in print today, and now that it caught my eye I'm seeing it all over the place. The term COVID is an abbreviation for Corona Virus Disease (maybe technically an acronym, but I teach science, not English). So when people say COVID virus, it's pretty much the equivalent of saying ATM machine (another pet peeve of mine).

Back