Official Rant of the Day

Amazon feels your pain!

My back has gone - played Saturday, got rained on and my back has seized up and is causing sciatic pain
Hopefully I can get in to see my physio sooner rather than later

A little bummed for my kiddo. She raised over $1k to buy school supplies for underprivileged kids in her school and we have been all over creation and the shelves are wiped, so we aren't able to get very much supplies to donate. We drove an hour away from home yesterday and nothing. Going to drive an hour away in the other direction tonight to see if we can get any luck. We looked on Amazon to order some of it and it's almost triple the price, which significantly reduces the amount of supplies if we go that way. If tonight doesn't work out, we will have to donate stuff throughout the year as it starts to get back in stock.

My back has gone - played Saturday, got rained on and my back has seized up and is causing sciatic pain
Hopefully I can get in to see my physio sooner rather than later

Hope you back is better.

You know it’s a Monday when you show up for a meeting that’s actually tomorrow!🙄

Saturday on hole #13 a big BOOM, front tire on golf cart blows out! Never had that happen before! Sunday hole #5, electric cart goes dead....It was not my weekend to abandon The Pushcart Mafia!!

Saturday on hole #13 a big BOOM, front tire on golf cart blows out! Never had that happen before! Sunday hole #5, electric cart goes dead....It was not my weekend to abandon The Pushcart Mafia!!

I have been playing golf for nearly 50 years. I've seen my share of dead carts but have never seen one blow a tire. Interesting weekend for you!

My sister in law, we have an amicable relationship - she is very nice, but historically she has not always been nice to my wife - anyway. She just lost the ONLY job she has had since her college days - and she is about 60. She is overweight so, sadly won't make a great first impression - face it people are judgmental - add her age, only one job, it sucks.

Also she has (bless her) been my father in law's primary care giver for about 18 months too, now he is going into a facility as he needs to be watched full time - so, good side she can look for a job - but I've no idea if she can get one.

She worked at her local catholic school college she did what I guess is event planning - went on some trips, set up graduations, did stuff for the athletes, she bled for that job put in a crazy amount of hours (unbillable), and did not even charge as much as she could when she was on travel for them.

Anyone have any tips or direction that I could have me or my wife point her in? We head back up to S. Jersey Saturday to talk to her and continue moving my father in laws things out and repairing the apartment he had rented.

Fun times - big post Mizuno Experience downer - but life goes on and the memories will remain.

My sister in law, we have an amicable relationship - she is very nice, but historically she has not always been nice to my wife - anyway. She just lost the ONLY job she has had since her college days - and she is about 60. She is overweight so, sadly won't make a great first impression - face it people are judgmental - add her age, only one job, it sucks.

Also she has (bless her) been my father in law's primary care giver for about 18 months too, now he is going into a facility as he needs to be watched full time - so, good side she can look for a job - but I've no idea if she can get one.

She worked at her local catholic school college she did what I guess is event planning - went on some trips, set up graduations, did stuff for the athletes, she bled for that job put in a crazy amount of hours (unbillable), and did not even charge as much as she could when she was on travel for them.

Anyone have any tips or direction that I could have me or my wife point her in? We head back up to S. Jersey Saturday to talk to her and continue moving my father in laws things out and repairing the apartment he had rented.

Fun times - big post Mizuno Experience downer - but life goes on and the memories will remain.

This is long, because I'm passionate about this.

As I understand it, things will look really good in the job market for another month or two, until the supplemental unemployment benefits end.

I've probably read over two thousand resumes in my career, both as a hiring manager and as a resource to people in search. In my opinion, the biggest issue with most resumes is that they read too much like a job description (what I was supposed to do) and not enough like a performance self-appraisal (the measurable results I delivered.) She should emphasize SCOPE (how big was my job - number of students served, budget, number of events), SKILLS (what portable skills I have - not just event planning, but project management, negotiation skills, conflict resolution, oral and written communications, etc. Don't include Microsoft Office - that's a given these days) and ORGANIZATIONAL IMPACT (is there a way to measure student/parent satisfaction, performance vs budget, how budget grew less than CPI, etc.) This addresses two of the three critical question a good hiring manager wants to answer:
  • Who/what did you manage?
  • What measurable business results did you achieve?
  • How'd you do under fire?
The third question can be answered in the bullet points of the resume.

She is selling her value to a prospective employer. She is not putting out an RFQ.

Remember that numbers are the universal language and percentages are universal numbers. A hiring manager is more impressed by reading that the number of events increased by 67% than by reading they increased from 6 to 10.

I recommend this book. If she is going through search with only one book, this is the one IMO. You may want to buy it for her:

If she is applying for a posted position, Yate's qualifications brief cover letter format is genius and highly effective.

Many people in her situation focus on their limitations - age, weight, etc. But her long tenure can be an asset if a) she can show growth in the job (and she can, I'm sure), and b) she stresses her loyalty. Age brings experience and maturity, valued qualities that can be brought out in a cover letter.

Done correctly, the process of putting a resume together should improve her self-image: I did all of that. . . I have these skills . . . I bring value to an employer . . .

Many companies use software for keyword searches, so be sure she includes those keywords in her resume.

Many human screeners decide whether to read a resume within ten seconds of reading a cover letter. The cover letter gets them to read the resume. The resume gets them to want to talk with you. It's a numbers game. On average, it takes seven interviews to get one offer. If she conducts an effective job search, it can be much lower than seven.

And make sure she has a professional NON-AOL email address. Especially important if she is 60. I can't tell you how many times I've seen something like WildThang6969@aol.com.

I've been in search myself several times in my career, and I can't tell you how many people have helped me, so I am on a perpetual mission to pay it forward. If your SIL would like a pair of experienced eyes to look at her cover and resume, I'd be happy to do so. PM me if she is interested. I will be blunt. Standing out gets you noticed. Getting noticed gets you hired.

If she had a CDL, she could probably have five offers today.

This is long, because I'm passionate about this.

As I understand it, things will look really good in the job market for another month or two, until the supplemental unemployment benefits end.

I've probably read over two thousand resumes in my career, both as a hiring manager and as a resource to people in search. In my opinion, the biggest issue with most resumes is that they read too much like a job description (what I was supposed to do) and not enough like a performance self-appraisal (the measurable results I delivered.) She should emphasize SCOPE (how big was my job - number of students served, budget, number of events), SKILLS (what portable skills I have - not just event planning, but project management, negotiation skills, conflict resolution, oral and written communications, etc. Don't include Microsoft Office - that's a given these days) and ORGANIZATIONAL IMPACT (is there a way to measure student/parent satisfaction, performance vs budget, how budget grew less than CPI, etc.) This addresses two of the three critical question a good hiring manager wants to answer:
  • Who/what did you manage?
  • What measurable business results did you achieve?
  • How'd you do under fire?
The third question can be answered in the bullet points of the resume.

She is selling her value to a prospective employer. She is not putting out an RFQ.

Remember that numbers are the universal language and percentages are universal numbers. A hiring manager is more impressed by reading that the number of events increased by 67% than by reading they increased from 6 to 10.

I recommend this book. If she is going through search with only one book, this is the one IMO. You may want to buy it for her:

If she is applying for a posted position, Yate's qualifications brief cover letter format is genius and highly effective.

Many people in her situation focus on their limitations - age, weight, etc. But her long tenure can be an asset if a) she can show growth in the job (and she can, I'm sure), and b) she stresses her loyalty. Age brings experience and maturity, valued qualities that can be brought out in a cover letter.

Done correctly, the process of putting a resume together should improve her self-image: I did all of that. . . I have these skills . . . I bring value to an employer . . .

Many companies use software for keyword searches, so be sure she includes those keywords in her resume.

Many human screeners decide whether to read a resume within ten seconds of reading a cover letter. The cover letter gets them to read the resume. The resume gets them to want to talk with you. It's a numbers game. On average, it takes seven interviews to get one offer. If she conducts an effective job search, it can be much lower than seven.

And make sure she has a professional NON-AOL email address. Especially important if she is 60. I can't tell you how many times I've seen something like WildThang6969@aol.com.

I've been in search myself several times in my career, and I can't tell you how many people have helped me, so I am on a perpetual mission to pay it forward. If your SIL would like a pair of experienced eyes to look at her cover and resume, I'd be happy to do so. PM me if she is interested. I will be blunt. Standing out gets you noticed. Getting noticed gets you hired.

If she had a CDL, she could probably have five offers today.
What an awesome reply - I will pass it all along to her. She is really heartbroken - I can't blame her either.

Side note, how did you find my email address!? Oh, and it's funny, about the email address, I said the same thing to my brother in law when he was looking and had a yahoo email address - he thought I was crazy.

Such is life - thanks again for some really great, great input. I'll try to get back with any feedback I can share.

I live about 15 miles from DC. The golf clubs I got from Japan, I ordered a hat same day, same company. It was shipped from CA and sent USPS first class - arrived today, a solid 2ish weeks later - was being 'sorted' in DC, since mid last week. I could literally have WALKED THERE and back in less time.

If you need it or want it fast, FedEx next day (or 2 day) is it. UPS usually ok, Fedex ground I will not use, USPS priority usually ok. Amazon great, seldom late, and even then usually only a day. 2 weeks first class for a ball cap ? ugh.

Week 9 of waiting for my Vokeys to get to me... :banghead:

My college is mandating we wear masks again starting tomorrow!:mad:(n)

From a post on my local community FB page

Proposition 1 is a little confusing in the way it’s structured (perhaps intentional), and it’s been the subject of a lot of misinformation (definitely intentional), but the underlying questions at hand are quite simple.

Do you support perpetuation of a 1950s-era discriminatory housing restriction in Webster Groves?

Do you oppose efforts by our City Council and others to foster a consciously inclusive community?

Do you support the continuation of racial and economic segregation in our region?

If your answer to these question is “no,” please get to your polling place today and VOTE NO on Proposition 1.

The irony is that he’s presenting his opinion as fact and at the same time calling everything else misinformation.

I just don’t get it. We live in one of the most desirable places to live on all of St. Louis that is filled with 100+ year old homes. We also have price ranges that start around $200k and go up to $2 million plus. I’m still not exactly sure what people in our community think. When there is new construction, it’s leveling an “affordable home” (because it’s in too much disrepair to bring up to code) and building a home that at a min will cost $500k because of the land cost and the construction cost. Even the mayor who LOVES diversity says that any changes won’t change a thing. The economics just to not make sense.

By the way, I’m voting yes, so to many in my community, that makes me a racist that hates poor people. 🤣🤣🤣

I love my community but hate the self righteous attitude of so many people it. Rant over.

A little bummed for my kiddo. She raised over $1k to buy school supplies for underprivileged kids in her school and we have been all over creation and the shelves are wiped, so we aren't able to get very much supplies to donate. We drove an hour away from home yesterday and nothing. Going to drive an hour away in the other direction tonight to see if we can get any luck. We looked on Amazon to order some of it and it's almost triple the price, which significantly reduces the amount of supplies if we go that way. If tonight doesn't work out, we will have to donate stuff throughout the year as it starts to get back in stock.
Update. The Wal-Mart we drove to an hour away the other direction last night had plenty of supplies. She was able to spend all but $40 that she raised and she will be donating all the supplies to the school tonight at her "meet the teacher" night.

From a post on my local community FB page

The irony is that he’s presenting his opinion as fact and at the same time calling everything else misinformation.

I just don’t get it. We live in one of the most desirable places to live on all of St. Louis that is filled with 100+ year old homes. We also have price ranges that start around $200k and go up to $2 million plus. I’m still not exactly sure what people in our community think. When there is new construction, it’s leveling an “affordable home” (because it’s in too much disrepair to bring up to code) and building a home that at a min will cost $500k because of the land cost and the construction cost. Even the mayor who LOVES diversity says that any changes won’t change a thing. The economics just to not make sense.

By the way, I’m voting yes, so to many in my community, that makes me a racist that hates poor people. 🤣🤣🤣

I love my community but hate the self righteous attitude of so many people it. Rant over.
Well, people are dumb. They project their real thoughts onto other people by trying to appear to be the ones saving the day, when they really think the people they're "helping" can't manage to do it themselves.

Golf withdrawal is a real thing... 2 weeks in counting since I hit a golf ball/set that was not made by Little Tikes haha

Hopefully 27 holes this week on Wed/Sat....

Well, people are dumb. They project their real thoughts onto other people by trying to appear to be the ones saving the day, when they really think the people they're "helping" can't manage to do it themselves.
What bugs me about the whole thing is that I present the financials based on first hand knowledge of us building a new home in the area since we went through the process. I ask for an explanation of exactly how “affordable housing“ will happen because my first hand experience says otherwise and the builders I know says the same thing. The bottom line is that money cannot be made on mew construction for anything less than $600k. When I ask, the only responses I get are the equivalent of “well you just don’t like poor people / you are a racist.“.

Speed rating too low on the tires???

What bugs me about the whole thing is that I present the financials based on first hand knowledge of us building a new home in the area since we went through the process. I ask for an explanation of exactly how “affordable housing“ will happen because my first hand experience says otherwise and the builders I know says the same thing. The bottom line is that money cannot be made on mew construction for anything less than $600k. When I ask, the only responses I get are the equivalent of “well you just don’t like poor people / you are a racist.“.
I guess you'll just have to accept that not opening your newly constructed doors to vagrants makes you a bigot. Don't expect the neighbors to do that, though, they're only keen to offer up someone else's time and resources.

I guess you'll just have to accept that not opening your newly constructed doors to vagrants makes you a bigot. Don't expect the neighbors to do that, though, they're only keen to offer up someone else's time and resources.
Ironically the guy that made the original post lives in one of the wealthiest parts of his community. I still have not seen him offer up to replace his $200k+ backyard oasis that includes an in ground pool. He could tear that all up and build with a ”guest house” that he could offer up as an affordable housing option.

@wubears71, good for you to stand on your beliefs.

I find it interesting that so many who are so quick to defend "my truth" or "her truth" are equally quick to claim that something is "misinformation."

Back