Official Rant of the Day

When I first moved to Portland the downtown area was the most livable vibrant downtown area I had ever seen. Cafes and bars with people sitting outside talking and socializing was the norm. People walking around. Shopping. Art. Etc. it was often said the Portland was what NYC may have been say 70 or 80 years ago.

I drove through downtown for the first time in almost 7 months today. A full city block was fenced and turned into a tent city, apparently with approval of the city. My own office - a large financial services company - was fully boarded up and further protected with chain link fence against the boards. Several other buildings had the same treatment or merely had all their windows boarded up. Several buildings were trashed with non political - non Civil Rights graffiti. Companies I used to visit daily are now out of business. Once beautiful common areas are defaced and overrun by people living in tents. I can’t quite say it looked like a 3rd world country, but it wouldn’t be a stretch to say it reminded me of pictures you’d see of say Detroit when it was down. It was depressing and maddening.

Last edited:
I hate the kids' Amazon Fire tablets almost as bad as I loathe the Tar Heels.

When the cop has someone pulled over on the side of the road, and you have moved over to the other lane to accommodate them, there's no need to HIT YOUR BRAKES AS YOU GO BY!:mad: They already have someone stopped. They're not coming after you. You weren't going much over the speed limit but now, NOW, because you hit your brakes, you're going WELL UNDER the speed limit.:mad: Now get out of my way!:ROFLMAO:

When the cop has someone pulled over on the side of the road, and you have moved over to the other lane to accommodate them, there's no need to HIT YOUR BRAKES AS YOU GO BY!:mad: They already have someone stopped. They're not coming after you. You weren't going much over the speed limit but now, NOW, because you hit your brakes, you're going WELL UNDER the speed limit.:mad: Now get out of my way!:ROFLMAO:

In New York State, the law is written so as to allow for broad interpretation by the LEO on the sccene. It is clear that motorists must slow down, and so they do. Boy, do they.

New York's Move Over Law Has Changed
Effective January 1, 2012

Protects law enforcement officers, emergency workers, tow and service vehicle operators and other maintenance workers stopped along roadways while performing their duties.

• Drivers must use due care when approaching an emergency vehicle that displays red or any combination of red, white or blue emergency lighting or a hazard vehicle displaying flashing amber lighting, or a vehicle displaying blue or green lighting:
    • On all roads and highways, drivers must reduce speed;
  • On Parkways and other controlled access highways with multiple lanes, when approaching an emergency vehicle that displays red or any combination of red, white or blue emergency lighting, or a hazard vehicle displaying flashing amber lighting, or a vehicle displaying blue or green lighting, drivers must move from the lane immediately adjacent to the emergency or hazard vehicle, unless traffic or other hazards exist to prevent doing so safely.
Penalties:

• Violations of this law are punishable as a moving violation.

Last edited:
I saw an Amazon delivery guy launch a package from the street onto my neighbors porch about a month ago. I have no idea what was in there, but that guy gave 0 F...ks on the package. I saw another van pull half way through my other neighbors wet yard. Left some good ruts. I let him know that it was the delivery guy, not that it will do any good.

I have received compensation from Fedex, UPS, and Amazon for damage to my yard. Document it and submit the claim.

We eventfully put up a sign saying no trucks at the end of our driveway. This did not stop the amazon vans from coming in but after our 3rd claim there must be a note on our account because they park and walk up.

I replaced every faucet in the house and tightened all the pieces causing the leak (oops). Now TWO of our three toilets are running! :angry: I voted to replace all the toilets but was overruled. Now I get to grab a couple repair kits and see what I can see. Just when I thought I was done playing with the plumbing... :banghead:

I replaced every faucet in the house and tightened all the pieces causing the leak (oops). Now TWO of our three toilets are running! :angry: I voted to replace all the toilets but was overruled. Now I get to grab a couple repair kits and see what I can see. Just when I thought I was done playing with the plumbing... :banghead:

Neither option is difficult, but I'd much rather repair the internals than replace the entire toilet. The Fluidmaster 400 units have worked really well for me. Easy to adjust and pretty reliable.

How hard is your water?

Neither option is difficult, but I'd much rather repair the internals than replace the entire toilet. The Fluidmaster 400 units have worked really well for me. Easy to adjust and pretty reliable.

How hard is your water?
It’s moderately hard. These toilets and likely everything in them are 20 years old so it’s time. I just put on my hard hat and got all excited to put in a new toilet after replacing the vanity in the master. But with company coming this weekend it’s probably best I just replace the insides. (And cheaper!)

If anyone ever asks you to replace a cylinder head temp sensor on a BMW 328i....tell them that's a HARD NO pal!:mad:

If anyone ever asks you to replace a cylinder head temp sensor on a BMW 328i....tell them that's a HARD NO pal!:mad:

But certain of their models will now have a dipstick.

Equally as dangerous: when people finally see the cop running a radar speed trap and they hit the brakes. People, with laser radar if you were the lucky one the cop would already have his lights on by the time you saw him. If he's still sitting there you're okay - KEEP DRIVING AT SPEED!

Add an Acura TL oil pump to the "hard no" list. 3 evenings of my life and 7 layers of skin on my hands ill never get back.

I was training a semi driver and we were going up a hill we were about halfway up and a cop popped the top, next thing I knew the trainee slammed on the brakes. Out of reaction I reach over and smack the guy in the back of the head. The cop saw me do it and just started laughing. Cars behind us, not so much it was a big hill and a gutless truck.

Told him slamming on brake equals cops thinks something is up and will stop you.

I was training a semi driver and we were going up a hill we were about halfway up and a cop popped the top, next thing I knew the trainee slammed on the brakes. Out of reaction I reach over and smack the guy in the back of the head. The cop saw me do it and just started laughing. Cars behind us, not so much it was a big hill and a gutless truck.

Told him slamming on brake equals cops thinks something is up and will stop you.
Please explain to that rookie how to use a Jake brake properly! I can't tell you how much that drives me nuts!

Please explain to that rookie how to use a Jake brake properly! I can't tell you how much that drives me nuts!

This was 10-12 years ago. It took me years to get that feed mill to buy a truck with a Jake Brake. This was a little 250hp 12ft bobtail. We had 9 tons of it at that hill even without hitting the brake you would loose 15-20 mph on, it was bad.

I am a miserable unhappy person currently. I cannot pinpoint why, but I have been irrationally angry for like 4 days straight now.

I dont know how to deal with it. It is causing all sorts of problems with my work, my marriage, and with my oldest kid.

I am a miserable unhappy person currently. I cannot pinpoint why, but I have been irrationally angry for like 4 days straight now.

I dont know how to deal with it. It is causing all sorts of problems with my work, my marriage, and with my oldest kid.
While I can’t help you with the situation, it might help to know you aren’t alone. I had one of those weeks a few weeks back. It went away but it wasn’t pleasant.

IIRC from reading your posts it's been a tough year for you. I can't offer much in the way of advice other than to suggest you let your wife and kid know that you know and get some advice from an expert. Does your workplace have an Employee Assistance Program (EAP)? Keep plugging and I'm hoping things turn for the better for you.

Why do restaurants with other good food try to get by with Cisco or PFG potato salad and baked beans, or some other cheap pre-made crap? Place here was doing smoked and fried ribs which were decent enough. But the potato salad and beans were absolute ****. It's so easy to make good versions of both from scratch. I guess peeling a potato, and the few other ingredients, is too much work. Damn, shame too because their BBQ is good for this town but you have to go another joint to get good sides.

Found out that our oldest is going to be distance learning again. Didn't go well for her last Spring. Minimum of two weeks.

And my mini rant. Hardee's sends me an email advertising their new Prime Rib Burger. Looks really good and I was going to be in the neighborhood during lunch. It was meant to be.

20201001_172110.jpg

And, this is what they serve me. Hardee's used to be better than this.

20201001_124440.jpg

At least it did taste good.

In New York State, the law is written so as to allow for broad interpretation by the LEO on the sccene. It is clear that motorists must slow down, and so they do. Boy, do they.

Well hell yes. How else can you screw as many people as possible? Broad range.

I’m a LEO supporter, my house looks

I’d tell you I’d love to hear the story but I know it too damn well.

I worked on my brakes recently. My damn car is almost 20 years old and weighs almost 6k pounds. The Jack was barely up to the task at my strength.

No way in hell my kid gets those wheels off the ground. He’s a strong little monkey too. But no way. I broke a knuckle as it was.

Had a crown replaced this morning. I’m usually a one shot of Novocain and I’m good kinda guy. The dentist stuck me no less than 10 times this morning To get it numb. 6 hours later I feel like Tyson slugged me in the jaw And it from the shots not the dental work.
oh....and it was 106 in SoCal today.

first world problems.....

Found out that our oldest is going to be distance learning again. Didn't go well for her last Spring. Minimum of two weeks.

And my mini rant. Hardee's sends me an email advertising their new Prime Rib Burger. Looks really good and I was going to be in the neighborhood during lunch. It was meant to be.

View attachment 8966604

View attachment 8966605

Do not believe commercials. C’mon man, you’re smarter than the Oven Mitt, lol!

Had a crown replaced this morning. I’m usually a one shot of Novocain and I’m good kinda guy. The dentist stuck me no less than 10 times this morning To get it numb. 6 hours later I feel like Tyson slugged me in the jaw And it from the shots not the dental work.

first world problems.....

Hey, if deezballs are hurting, all of us hurt.

Feel better!

View attachment 8966604

View attachment 8966605

Back