Offseason work with TrueMotionGolf

Back to where I was about three months ago: Working on full back-swing. I'm starting to see somewhat repeatable/consistent form. Might be ready to send a video in as early as tomorrow.

Couldn't figure out why the upper part of my trailing arm was pointing so low. Watched a video of Tim, several videos back from where Matt demonstrated what we're supposed to do. Slightly different camera angle revealed my mistake: I was pushing my arms behind me--thus forcing my trailing arm to collapse in. Matt cautioned against that, but it didn't "take" until I re-watched Tim's video.
Jim, you can also put a pool noodle on that trail arm to help keep it straight and give you the width you need.

True Motion's coaches are now using an app called OnForm. It's a pretty cool app. (I may even sign up for a subscription after my TMG training is done--which I assume will happen eventually 🤪.)

Anyway... I'd bought a tripod adapter for my iPad because it's a lot easier to review your videos on a 10 in. tablet than an iPhone SE :) It arrived this morning. I set it up on the tripod and did a down-line video just to test it. That looked so good I did a front video, too. That also looked good, so I submitted them both to my coach for comment. He responded they looked great and unlocked the next segment for me :alien2:

What I'm happiest about is that back-swing is becoming sufficiently ingrained that I get it right even when I'm not trying particularly hard. It's not like I can just step up to the ball and swing away. I still have to pay careful attention to my setup and "get my head in the right place" before I start my take-away, but I am getting increasingly consistent.

Now on my 2nd training restart and now just back to full back-swings with a club.

Approaching my goals with new attitudes. Firstly: More focused, more interested in getting it right than getting it done. More thinking of new segments, new motions, as challenges to meet and overcome than PITA things I have to do to complete the training.

Thus, when I found myself swaying toward the target in starting back-swing drills with a club, a swing fault I'd thought was history: Instead of becoming frustrated and annoyed I set about thinking about what might be source of the problem, so I could fix it properly, rather than arbitrarily trying things to make it go away. (Turned out to be, as Matt predicted, though I couldn't feel it, I was ever-so-slightly pushing with my lead side once I had a club in-hand.)

Several segments back I discovered the reason I'd had a particular problem in the past go-arounds: Keeping my head from moving forward, over the ball, during my back-swing: Insufficient ground force. That also turned out to be the problem I'd been having much later, at the beginning of the down-swing micro-motions training, in being able to properly initiate a slight target-wards hip shift.

In both instances I briefly tried compensations to "fix" the problem, then thought "No, compensations are bad. Figure out the root cause of the problem and correct it." In the latter case it meant I had to back up, get my footwork right in the segment I should have in the first place, and work back up to where I was when I'd figured it out. It was worth it. In the case of the target-wards sway I'll have to do some extra work, just training myself to let the lead arm "go along for the ride," not even working to keep it straight, before I'll actually be able to start doing the drills in this segment.

Another attitude change is understanding that, if I truly want to enjoy the game, rather than be angst-ridden about my swing all the time, I need to make it automatic, make it all ingrained. So, rather than "Ok, I've got this segment done. Yippee! Now I can move on," I take my time to make sure I really have it down and, even after I complete a course segment I continue to review the the drills it taught to more-thoroughly ingrain those motions.

Along the way of my re-re-training I discovered a really neat training aid: Instead of using a down-line mirror to check myself, I have my iPhone on a tripod, mirrored to my iPad on a small tripod in front of me. This allows me to check my down-line view without having to move my head out of position.

Make sure to get lots of reviews of the drills you do. I think that is where I went wrong.
Yeah, that's another change in my training regimen this time around: For a new motion I'll do one of two sets of drills, then submit a video to make sure I'm on the right track. Save myself from having to back up and start all over again :ROFLMAO:

The other, related, change is if I feel what I've developed is "too fragile," I'm having to work too hard to maintain good form, that may be telling me I'm not getting something right. That I may be unconsciously applying compensations to make it appear to look right in the mirrors or on video.

Yeah, that's another change in my training regimen this time around: For a new motion I'll do one of two sets of drills, then submit a video to make sure I'm on the right track. Save myself from having to back up and start all over again :ROFLMAO:

The other, related, change is if I feel what I've developed is "too fragile," I'm having to work too hard to maintain good form, that may be telling me I'm not getting something right. That I may be unconsciously applying compensations to make it appear to look right in the mirrors or on video.
Are they still pretty quick with getting feedback back to you? Is is still Matt and Tim?

Are they still pretty quick with getting feedback back to you? Is is still Matt and Tim?
Usually. Yep: Still Matt and Tim.

But now Matt's using OnForm (I mentioned this last year). Much easier to submit videos and discuss them in-line. OnForm's recording controls aren't great. (E.g.: I can't start/stop them with my watch.) So, instead, I record with iOS' native app, edit (if necessary), import into OnForm, then share with TMG.

OnForm also has built-in swing analysis tools. I haven't played with those yet. I mean to. If they're useful enough perhaps I'll do an individual subscription to OnForm even after my TMG training is complete--if it's not too spendy.

They were great with getting back to me. I mostly worked with Tim and I have texted with him a bit even after I dropped the program. I almost always heard something in a few hours or less and always within a day.

Usually. Yep: Still Matt and Tim.

But now Matt's using OnForm (I mentioned this last year). Much easier to submit videos and discuss them in-line. OnForm's recording controls aren't great. (E.g.: I can't start/stop them with my watch.) So, instead, I record with iOS' native app, edit (if necessary), import into OnForm, then share with TMG.

OnForm also has built-in swing analysis tools. I haven't played with those yet. I mean to. If they're useful enough perhaps I'll do an individual subscription to OnForm even after my TMG training is complete--if it's not too spendy.

I found OnForm really easy to use. I put a wireless earbud in and I could say start recording and stop recording and it worked awesome.

I found OnForm really easy to use. I put a wireless earbud in and I could say start recording and stop recording and it worked awesome.
I don't think that Bluetooth earbud verbal start/stop works anymore. I put one of my Apple AirPods in and no option for it shows up, anymore.

I don't think that Bluetooth earbud verbal start/stop works anymore. I put one of my Apple AirPods in and no option for it shows up, anymore.

It worked for me a couple of weeks ago. I didn't have to do anything but set it up to record then say "start recording". I haven't tried it recently though.

It worked for me a couple of weeks ago. I didn't have to do anything but set it up to record then say "start recording". I haven't tried it recently though.
Yeah, end-user headspace 🤪 I'd been saying just "start." Tried to find the docs & couldn't find anything on it. Finally reached out to OnForm, yesterday, to ask about it. They were very responsive and very helpful. So, yeah: It actually does work :)

My back-swing when I get it right:

Interesting thing about this is all I was concentrating on was sequencing. Everything else just seemed to kind of fall into place. Notice the "knock" sound at the end. That's the club lightly striking the floor right at the "ball." What I was actually looking at was an iPad placed about two feet above that spot, watching my form.

Last edited:
You have higher ceilings than I do. I shortened an old wedge so I could do that.

You have higher ceilings than I do. I shortened an old wedge so I could do that.
Standard seven-foot-high ceilings. But I did have to move to a 9i for clearance. Even then: If I stand up just a little too much in my back-swing: *clunk*. Luckily, I'm doing these reps relatively slowly, otherwise there'd probably be damage.

Already seeing some limited improvement in initiating my back-swing with my feet. I still have to consciously do it, but now my worst reps are about as good as my best reps were just yesterday.

I think one of the things that is probably helping is to concentrate on always initiating a turn-to-the-back with my feet. E.g.: A dynamic warm-up/stretching exercise I do is stand with my back to a wall, about 1-1/2 feet away, turn, and place my hands flat on the wall. Turn the other way and do the same. Ten reps each direction. Good for improving sense of balance, too :) Today I concentrated on doing that routine by initiating my turns with my feet, rather than my torso.

Just videoed myself doing a couple take-aways and three full back-swings, from front and down-line, with no warm-up practice and w/o watching myself in a mirror or with my iPhone mirrored to my iPad. Trying to simulate what I'd do standing over the ball on the range or playing.

Still got a bit of that bob and weave thing going, but it's less than it was last week, and last week was better than when I started, so there's been improvement. Not as fast as I'd like, but, as long as I keep seeing improvement I'll keep at it. The motion is becoming more smooth, natural-feeling, and effortless.

Mainly, I need to get into that trail leg a little more on the back-swing--surf my backside to the back a bit more, work harder to keep my lead arm straighter going back, and get a little more onto that lead leg coming back down .

I'm beginning to suspect one thing I may have to do is sacrifice a bit of turn back in the name of consistency. At the end of last nights reps I tried going back effortlessly, w/o "pushing" to get those last few degrees out of my turn, and I was getting very nice, very easy turns, remaining centered throughout w/o conscious effort. Perhaps there's only so much I can reasonably expect out of my 71-year-old body :ROFLMAO:

Just videoed myself doing a couple take-aways and three full back-swings, from front and down-line, with no warm-up practice and w/o watching myself in a mirror or with my iPhone mirrored to my iPad. Trying to simulate what I'd do standing over the ball on the range or playing.

Still got a bit of that bob and weave thing going, but it's less than it was last week, and last week was better than when I started, so there's been improvement. Not as fast as I'd like, but, as long as I keep seeing improvement I'll keep at it. The motion is becoming more smooth, natural-feeling, and effortless.

Mainly, I need to get into that trail leg a little more on the back-swing--surf my backside to the back a bit more, work harder to keep my lead arm straighter going back, and get a little more onto that lead leg coming back down .

I'm beginning to suspect one thing I may have to do is sacrifice a bit of turn back in the name of consistency. At the end of last nights reps I tried going back effortlessly, w/o "pushing" to get those last few degrees out of my turn, and I was getting very nice, very easy turns, remaining centered throughout w/o conscious effort. Perhaps there's only so much I can reasonably expect out of my 71-year-old body :ROFLMAO:

I agree that you may need to manage your turn. I was always getting pushed to turn more but I had a hard time making the turn and not swaying off the ball. For me I need to stay centered as well.

I agree that you may need to manage your turn.
I've been working on flexibility, and, to a lesser degree, strength, but, yeah... seventy-one years old. That doesn't mean I'm going to accept defeat. I'll still try. But I gotta deal with reality, too :)

I was always getting pushed to turn more but I had a hard time making the turn and not swaying off the ball.
Yeah, they want a full back-to-the-target turn if you can do it. I can do it, but those last few degrees, guessing 10-15° or so?, are were it starts becoming effort. I'm going to guess that when I'm out on the range or playing I won't work to get that much turn. I'll do what comes naturally.

Plus, it's when I push for those last few degrees of turn my lead arm begins to bend. That brings my trail arm in and could lead to my getting that arm behind me on the down-swing. Not a good thing.

Thing is: I'm tall (6' 4") and have long arms. My first instructor told me I don't need to turn back all that far to get good distance.

Just happened to catch a snippit on a recent PGA event where they were discussing Finau's swing, noting he didn't turn back as far as most pros, but is still one of the Tours longest hitters.

For me I need to stay centered as well.
We all do :)

I've been working on flexibility, and, to a lesser degree, strength, but, yeah... seventy-one years old. That doesn't mean I'm going to accept defeat. I'll still try. But I gotta deal with reality, too :)

Yeah, they want a full back-to-the-target turn if you can do it. I can do it, but those last few degrees, guessing 10-15° or so?, are were it starts becoming effort. I'm going to guess that when I'm out on the range or playing I won't work to get that much turn. I'll do what comes naturally.

Plus, it's when I push for those last few degrees of turn my lead arm begins to bend. That brings my trail arm in and could lead to my getting that arm behind me on the down-swing. Not a good thing.

Thing is: I'm tall (6' 4") and have long arms. My first instructor told me I don't need to turn back all that far to get good distance.

Just happened to catch a snippit on a recent PGA event where they were discussing Finau's swing, noting he didn't turn back as far as most pros, but is still one of the Tours longest hitters.

We all do :)

Frankly I think I hurt my back trying to get my back to the target. I am younger than you but don’t have a ton of flexibility. Forcing the turn strained a muscle in my back. I am all for the turn if you can make it work just be careful as you try to get there.

Frankly I think I hurt my back trying to get my back to the target.
That probably didn't do your training any favors, either :(

I am younger than you but don’t have a ton of flexibility.
It may be you could have it, though--lacking any physical limitation such as a back injury. The trick to doing it without injury, or pain more than muscle soreness, is work up to it.

I was doing stretches after a workout one day. This young man spoke up and said something like "You're my idol." "Eh?" "The way you can stretch like that." "Oh. Well, I didn't get here in a day. It took me between six months and a year, gradually pushing further, to get to where I can do this." Out of curiosity I asked him how old he was. Thirty-five. Nearly half my age at the time.

Every day, before I begin swing training, I do a set of static and dynamic stretches, first. When I start playing I'll do the same thing before heading out.

... just be careful as you try to get there.
That's why I'm saying that, when actually swinging at the range or while playing, I'll probably abbreviate the turn back. I do the training motions at relatively slow speeds, which allows me to easily control just how far or with how much effort I do things.

There've been days my left-side lats, in particular, have been pretty sore from working those turns in training :)

That probably didn't do your training any favors, either :(

It may be you could have it, though--lacking any physical limitation such as a back injury. The trick to doing it without injury, or pain more than muscle soreness, is work up to it.

I was doing stretches after a workout one day. This young man spoke up and said something like "You're my idol." "Eh?" "The way you can stretch like that." "Oh. Well, I didn't get here in a day. It took me between six months and a year, gradually pushing further, to get to where I can do this." Out of curiosity I asked him how old he was. Thirty-five. Nearly half my age at the time.

Every day, before I begin swing training, I do a set of static and dynamic stretches, first. When I start playing I'll do the same thing before heading out.

That's why I'm saying that, when actually swinging at the range or while playing, I'll probably abbreviate the turn back. I do the training motions at relatively slow speeds, which allows me to easily control just how far or with how much effort I do things.

There've been days my left-side lats, in particular, have been pretty sore from working those turns in training :)

I have had a couple of ruptured disks in my back plus a chronic issue nobody can figure out. That said I stretch and do core 4-5 days a week plus do a dynamic warm up before hitting balls or playing.

Sent my TMG trainer complete sets of front and down-line videos of my first back-swings of the day, with no practice/warm-up reps before-hand, and no watching myself in mirrors or mirrored video. The idea is to capture what I might do In Real Life.

He wrote back I'm "looking good" and am "for sure" ready to move on to down-swing training
banana.gif

For anybody who may be keeping track: That's eleven days of nothing but back-swing drills, 3-5 sessions/day, 25-30 reps/session. That's somewhere around ±1200 repetitions of that one drill.

Even as I move on, I'm going to keep doing them to make certain it's really ingrained.

This is fascinating. It was a bit less than a week ago I started on the downswing training. First micro-motion they teach is a small hip-shift target-wards, push that target-wards buttock back a bit, and screw your feet into the ground turning your hips target-wards.

I haven't done anywhere near the number of reps they want, yet, but already I can see the effect in my downswing.

As I've been doing every day for the last week I start my training with a bunch of light static and dynamic flexibility exercises and some light, body-weight-only, strength exercises. Then I do a set of back-to-the-target drills, a set of back-swing drills, then several sets of that latest micro-motion throughout the day and evening.

Doing the downswing after each back-swing motion, just now, I found myself initiating it with that left hip shift, buttock-back thing and, without meaning to, the club was coming back much faster than it's been, without me consciously doing anything to make that happen.

God, I'm lovin' this! :love:

Yesterday got the go-ahead to progress from the pivot-back segment to what appears to be the last full-swing training segment: Shallowing the club. Matt gave me high praise for my pivot-back, for maintaining my spine angle essentially unchanged during the motion.

The video I posted of that move creeping into my actual down-swing not so much, though. I over-did it--causing what should be a small hip-shift left to become a full-blown slide. Not Good. The good news there is I'm pretty sure that was because I was purposely over-emphasizing it. I think that, if I just swing, I won't do that. I'll have to video myself again, without consciously trying to get that "feel," to see.

Also: Tim made a video for me to demonstrate how he recommends training with the Orange Whip :)

When my training is done I'll have to find a new hobby. Hmmm... Maybe I'll try golf? :ROFLMAO:

Back