OGputtnfool's 2019-2020 offseason swing rebuild

OGputtnfool

Reaction score
Handicap
Anyone got any good tips or drills for me to use to cure my awful, awful habit of coming across the line at the top? I found one video on YT and I'm gonna make me a dedicated club to use for the drill, but any advice is welcome.

This is what I'm looking at now...

Are you talking across the line at the top of the swing, or over the top on the downswing? If you put a towel under your right arm and keep it in place during the backswing, it's really difficult to get that club across the line up top.

Across the line at top... mainly. I have a video that I'm uploading to YT now, but it's taking forever. I don't think I'm OTT on the downswing, but I could be wrong.

Are you talking across the line at the top of the swing, or over the top on the downswing? If you put a towel under your right arm and keep it in place during the backswing, it's really difficult to get that club across the line up top.
Exactly....and the towel should drop beyond the spot of the ball after hitting. All the very good players at my club focus on connecting the arms during DS rotation.

I snapped a few pics from the video. Arm connection to torso in practice swing would likely hold a towel, or at least close. During the actual swing the right arm extends up which would surely drop the towel. In the other pic your spine angle is lost due to a lack of connection upon rotation in the DS. Your chest is already at the ball before your hands, so you gotta stand up to make room. I've been there and done this so many times I can't count.

Attachments

• 11-22-2019 11-26-12 AM.jpg
    11-22-2019 11-26-12 AM.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 11-22-2019 11-26-46 AM.jpg
    11-22-2019 11-26-46 AM.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 11-22-2019 11-27-50 AM.jpg
    11-22-2019 11-27-50 AM.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 24
Your not keeping your left wrist straight at the top of your backswing. Try keeping the flex out. There are lots of drills on YT for that.

You are starting the backswing too much to the inside. This causes your shoulders to turn flat. Instead, the lead shoulder should be pointed to a spot just outside of the ball and at about the time the club shaft is parallel in the backswing. So the hands and arms need to feel like they are travelling down the target line longer, and then the arms should move upward from there as opposed to further around. In other words too much around with not enough up and down.

The wrist positions at the top also need to swap. You have a cupped left/lead wrist and neutral right/rear wrist. Flip them so that the lead wrist is neutral (semi-flat) and the trail wrist is cupped. On the way down you'll need to start bowing the lead wrist. This will reinforce a strong body turn to keep the shot from going left. The early extension is just a byproduct of the other faults, and is your brains way of keeping from hitting a big push (saving the shot).

You are starting the backswing too much to the inside. This causes your shoulders to turn flat. Instead, the lead shoulder should be pointed to a spot just outside of the ball and at about the time the club shaft is parallel in the backswing. So the hands and arms need to feel like they are travelling down the target line longer, and then the arms should move upward from there as opposed to further around. In other words too much around with not enough up and down.

The wrist positions at the top also need to swap. You have a cupped left/lead wrist and neutral right/rear wrist. Flip them so that the lead wrist is neutral (semi-flat) and the trail wrist is cupped. On the way down you'll need to start bowing the lead wrist. This will reinforce a strong body turn to keep the shot from going left. The early extension is just a byproduct of the other faults, and is your brains way of keeping from hitting a big push (saving the shot).

Thanks for the input. I've read that through about a bajillion times. I need to get home and get a club in my hands. I'm not a reading learner. I'm 100% visual and trial and error.

Are you saying (" lead shoulder should be pointed to a spot just outside of the ball") a line from my right shoulder thru my left shoulder should be pointing to the right side of the ball when the shaft first crosses parallel in the takeaway?

I've known about the bowed left wrist for some time. I might have to weaken that one a little to get it into the correct position.

Thanks for the input. I've read that through about a bajillion times. I need to get home and get a club in my hands. I'm not a reading learner. I'm 100% visual and trial and error.

Are you saying (" lead shoulder should be pointed to a spot just outside of the ball") a line from my right shoulder thru my left shoulder should be pointing to the right side of the ball when the shaft first crosses parallel in the takeaway?

I've known about the bowed left wrist for some time. I might have to weaken that one a little to get it into the correct position.

Sorry, I mean beyond the ball. You are closer to the red line in this image, and you need to get more toward the green:

SwingTRU_SHoulderTiltTop_600.jpg

Not to be difficult, but what ball flight issues will this fix? Are you missing in two directions? Why are you looking to fix this? There is no issues with trying to be more aesthetic with your swing, but this seems a lot like being more consider with "golf swing" than with golf.

Not to be difficult, but what ball flight issues will this fix? Are you missing in two directions? Why are you looking to fix this? There is no issues with trying to be more aesthetic with your swing, but this seems a lot like being more consider with "golf swing" than with golf.

This forum is called "Swing Tips", not course management, tips to shoot lower scores, etc...

But getting a more neutral path and tightening up the face-to-path relationship will increase his distance and improve his direction - both of which could lower his scores. Not having to rely on early extension to save the shot when it's set to go too far right will help with his consistency and dispersion - again, both of which could lower his scores.

Sorry, I mean beyond the ball. You are closer to the red line in this image, and you need to get more toward the green:

SwingTRU_SHoulderTiltTop_600.jpg
Good post...but also notice the right armpit of the Pro is connected to his side, not flying up and away. Just a thought.

Good post...but also notice the right armpit of the Pro is connected to his side, not flying up and away. Just a thought.
Yep. That flying elbow is a result of the reversed wrist positions the OP has at the top of the back swing.

I’m not a fan of the towel under the arm/connection drill unless you understand that the towel needs to drop at some point in the back swing. No tour pro keeps his arms pinned to his chest throughout the swing.

This forum is called "Swing Tips", not course management, tips to shoot lower scores, etc...

But getting a more neutral path and tightening up the face-to-path relationship will increase his distance and improve his direction - both of which could lower his scores. Not having to rely on early extension to save the shot when it's set to go too far right will help with his consistency and dispersion - again, both of which could lower his scores.

You're right. I didn't see he posted a video. Your post about shoulder rotation and too much around and not enough up and down was perfect.

My bigger thinking, especially with the golf swing, something happened to make the fault happen. To try and fix the fault without the cause is nearly impossible. To not be across the line at the top would be meaningless if he didn't fix his takeaway and back swing.

It doesn't matter really, but this post was really good and quite spot on in my opinion.

I
Yep. That flying elbow is a result of the reversed wrist positions the OP has at the top of the back swing.

I’m not a fan of the towel under the arm/connection drill unless you understand that the towel needs to drop at some point in the back swing. No tour pro keeps his arms pinned to his chest throughout the swing.
The illustration above shows a Pro position that would hold a towel.

I

The illustration above shows a Pro position that would hold a towel.
It’s a graphic to illustrate a different issue. There is a point where the right/rear bicep separates from the body enough that it would be tough to hold a towel there.

It’s a graphic to illustrate a different issue. There is a point where the right/rear bicep separates from the body enough that it would be tough to hold a towel there.
Why show a graphic of a Pro and then determine it's not really how they swing?

Now, we're talking! That's what I needed... a picture!

Thanks...

Missing both ways and general inconsistency. Did you watch the video? Some left. Some right.

This is the first time in 15+ years that I'm gonna seriously make a concerted effort to improve my swing and get more consistent this winter. I could squeeze a round in here and there, but from now until March, my goal will be to practice as much as possible. I'll likely play 9 here and there, but the focus over the winter will be improving my swing for next year.

Missing both ways and general inconsistency. Did you watch the video? Some left. Some right.

This is the first time in 15+ years that I'm gonna seriously make a concerted effort to improve my swing and get more consistent this winter. I could squeeze a round in here and there, but from now until March, my goal will be to practice as much as possible. I'll likely play 9 here and there, but the focus over the winter will be improving my swing for next year.
When you hit a ball dead straight where there is no curve left or right, is that generally to the right of the target line as in a straight push, or is it left of the target line in a straight pull?

I did watch the video. After I made my post, it was brought to my attention that I typed before reading.

You're snatching the club inside on your takeaway. Bring the club back with your shoulders, not your hands. I would stop the habit of watching the club go all the way back and up. Speaking from experience, you will start doing that in the round. Just move your eyes a little to make sure the clubhead is still outside your hands when the shaft is level with the ground.

BTW, doing this move, with a shoulder turn, your swing will feel 60% shorter. Don't worry, it's not. Trust it.

When you hit a ball dead straight where there is no curve left or right, is that generally to the right of the target line as in a straight push, or is it left of the target line in a straight pull?

I don't know if I ever hit a straight ball in my life. If it goes left, it's a hook/draw/pull, if it goes right, it's a slice/fade/push, and if it goes straight, then it's a miracle, right?

I'd say I push much more than pull.

Why show a graphic of a Pro and then determine it's not really how they swing?
It’s a static image, not a video of a golf swing. The point the graphic is representing is shoulder tilt. Google your favorite pro’s swing sequence and you’ll see most have little skin contacting and it would be tough to hold a towel there. That’s all I’m trying to get across.

I think any connection between the arms and body should be soft and fluid. The golf swing is athletic. That being said, if the OP wants to do connection drills it’s his choice.

Back