OGputtnfool's 2019-2020 offseason swing rebuild

I'm frustrated to say the least. My woods and partial wedge are working and my putting ain't too bad, but my full swing irons and wedges are seriously hindering my performance. I shot an ugly 93 today with 2 birdies, but SIX triples. Ugh...

Did not know/remember about this thread. Catching up...

I'm frustrated to say the least.
After reading through the thread, it's easy to point out you have too many swing thoughts going on, while the fundamental problem has already been noted, but has not been impacted with all the "changes":
This causes your shoulders to turn flat.
I really respect your efforts to re-build. It takes a lot of dedication and overcoming adversity to take on that challenge. But here's the bone sandwich; you're working on the wrong end of the horse. Your problems begin at take-away, and that's where you should be focused. Take-away sets the stage for the rest of the swing. It defines your levels and angles. You are lifting (snatching) the arms and hands, then "catching up" with the torso, turning it near level.
Getting the torso to rotate on the correct plane is VERY difficult to learn. We are vertical/horizontal oriented creatures. When we rotate the upper body from an inclined position, we seek level. We all do. Our muscle and neuro systems have it ingrained. Once the correct shoulder plane is learned however, the rest of the swing suddenly gets exponentially easier.
Learning your ideal shoulder plane is something only you can define. A camera can get close, but your body is equipped to nail it. The drill below is the vehicle. Pay close attention to the details. Plant the elbows against your rib cage as shown. Don't let them move; no rotating, no moving off the rib cage. Get in set up position and actually hit balls with it. Keep the butt of the club pointing at your stomach. You won't be able to swing back far; that's fine. Swing back til you feel resistance, and let it all fall back to the ball, keeping the elbows glued to your side the whole time. This forces you to rotate on the correct plane. If you swing to flat, the club will not rise, but go behind you, or your left arm will raise up.
This is the best tool I know of to teach yourself your correct take-away shoulder plane, and as a bonus, it also teaches you correct impact position.. Hope it helps!
(Hogan is not in address position, so his shoulders stay mostly level in this demonstration. His intent was to just get the feel of the swing, not define shoulder plane, which requires beginning in address position to accomplish)

View attachment BEN HOGAN Five Lessons Training ExerciseC.mov

Last edited:
Huge change today. For the first time in many moons, I was hitting the 4i great today. Reshafted the 4h so I put it in the bag for the range session today. Hopefully, it carries over to the course.

Ok I’ve gone through most of the posts and Unfortunately your pro sent you down a rabbit hole with grip and other things he had you working on. For example your posts still have your balance points in two very different places. One you’re on your heels the other slightly your toes.

I know you don’t want to hear this but let’s get your SetUp rock solid, then let’s fix your Takeaway because your rip the club inside and that’s not helping you out.

Stand tall, arch your upper spine by doing a standing crunch, then let your arms just hang. Check my pic out below.

87D14CB4-D34F-42C3-905D-3703326F1C90.jpeg

Ok I’ve gone through most of the posts and Unfortunately your pro sent you down a rabbit hole with grip and other things he had you working on. For example your posts still have your balance points in two very different places. One you’re on your heels the other slightly your toes.

I know you don’t want to hear this but let’s get your SetUp rock solid, then let’s fix your Takeaway because your rip the club inside and that’s not helping you out.

Stand tall, arch your upper spine by doing a standing crunch, then let your arms just hang. Check my pic out below.

View attachment 8955462

Pro definitely addressed my posture at address at my last lesson. I haven't done any videos for some time. I appreciate the feedback.

I've almost fixed the takeaway. It took forever to feel right, but it's starting to feel normal. The trip change was my doing. I wanted to eliminate the left side and, other than the occasional pull, I have basically succeeded.

I'll post more videos soon.

Back