Oh, just stamp the darn degrees on irons please!

The only place I get a little wiggy is honestly Bryson and the WOW he hit a PW.. Because of the unique set up of OL. It does cause me to eye roll a bit..

For one his 8 iron is 7 iron length and 33 degress so 7 iron loft. His PW is 42 degrees.. He absolutely smashes the ball now so I give him full credit but. There is a little bit of bait and switch to it due to when people hear that they think of "their" 8 iron and PW..

I have friends that asks me what I hit on par 3s and some approach shots. I just tell them the distance and they should choose on their own.

I don’t care if the jack the lofts. If the gapping works, what’s the big deal?
Not jus the gapping, but the flight - I think that part is critical.

We are in an era of technology where lofts don't make sense to be the same for every 7 iron on the market, between the tech packed into it and the type of player intended to use the product. It simply cannot be expected to be apples to apples.

The only place I get a little wiggy is honestly Bryson and the WOW he hit a PW.. Because of the unique set up of OL. It does cause me to eye roll a bit..

For one his 8 iron is 7 iron length and 33 degress so 7 iron loft. His PW is 42 degrees.. He absolutely smashes the ball now so I give him full credit but. There is a little bit of bait and switch to it due to when people hear that they think of "their" 8 iron and PW..
Dynamic loft plays a pretty big role here, doesn't it? I've got strongly lofted irons to accommodate my approach into the ball yet hit the ball higher than pretty much anyone I play with. If my peak height is higher than average, wouldn't it do more to validate the established lofts?

Anybody that bitches about lofts should just go buy the strongest lofted irons they can afford and be done with it. This loft argument has been going on for eons. I don’t give one single sh*t that my playing partners hit the ball further then me because his lofts are stronger. Instead of bemoaning the state of the game, focus on your own.
I've never genuinely understood why distance is such a curiosity for people, but I guess it's pretty natural to be competitive in that sort of way.

Dynamic loft plays a pretty big role here, doesn't it? I've got strongly lofted irons to accommodate my approach into the ball yet hit the ball higher than pretty much anyone I play with. If my peak height is higher than average, wouldn't it do more to validate the established lofts?

Of course it does. I understand that. I just think it is a bit of an announcer deal that I dont like.

WOW!! He hit his PW 180 yards!! OMG.. Well, there are many factors at play here with that number. I understand that completely but many golf fans do not.

I still like the numbers on the bottom of my clubs. And even though my 7 iron may really be a 6 iron, it still plays like a 7 iron in my hands LOL.

Anybody who's comparing their 8 iron distance to Bryson's 8 iron distance has been hitting the crack pipe too hard. He hit an 8 iron yesterday from something like 268 yards - that's almost twice the distance I hit my 8 iron.

People need to quit paying so much attention to what the PGA Tour guys do and be realistic about their own game. 99.9% of amateur/weekend golfers are nowhere near that stratosphere, nor will they ever be.

Anybody who's comparing their 8 iron distance to Bryson's 8 iron distance has been hitting the crack pipe too hard. He hit an 8 iron yesterday from something like 268 yards - that's almost twice the distance I hit my 8 iron.

People need to quit paying so much attention to what the PGA Tour guys do and be realistic about their own game. 99.9% of amateur/weekend golfers are nowhere near that stratosphere, nor will they ever be.

HEY!!! I don't appreciate your reality wrecking my dreams.. :ROFLMAO:

Pick the irons you like.
Chart your yardages.
I need my ____ club for ____ yardage.

Lofts aren't the problem, thinking that lofts are the problem is the problem. Hit the irons, have fun, play golf.

I'd be fine with lofts on irons just not either/or. Give me both.

The lofts can be small and stamped on the hosel for all I care. As it is now, I've saved pics of the various spec sheets of the irons I've owned for reference.

To be clear, I don't care about loft jacking, what others hit or claim to hit. I'd just like to be able to peek at the club to view stock specs, much like I can with a wedge. Shafts too, loved that the RIP shafts showed torque number.

my next irons are going to be custom stamped with wingdings symbols instead of numbers or lofts

"perfect yardage for the funny looking squiggle"

Oh that’s a great idea, I think I’d go with the names of former presidents.

“I need this ball to carry a depression in the green go ahead and hand me FDR”

I have a few different clubs with the same loft that have different results from a ball flight and distance standpoint. Loft is only one factor. Isn’t this like saying “My car has a V6 engine so it’s just as fast as yours because the engine is the same size. Says so on the decal on my car!” ...No it doesn’t.
When you talk about scoring clubs all that matters is accuracy. A green is a green. Closest to the hole is the best shot. Every single time.
The only club that I’ve ever been distance obsessed with is my driver. Possibly my 3 wood. And again that is in an effort to get closer to the hole.
Last I checked you don’t get to deduct strokes because you hit your club with a number 7 on it further than my club with a number 7 on it. If I stick it closer to the hole with my club with a number 6 on it then who cares???

I'll take the regular number on the bottom of the club. As many others have stated as well as myself I don't really care what the loft is as long as the club does what it needs to. Goes high enough, spins enough, goes far enough etc.

Hogan did that with their PTx irons and people hated it
If memory serves correctly Hogan bought the company that was in Ft Worth and input their lofts on clubs. That wasn't a Hogan deal prior to that acquisition.

Just find clubs that your enjoy playing and have fun. Whatever distances you end up with you can we the rest of your bag around.

I totally understand what @JB is saying, My M5 Driver is a 12 degree and I have had more than one look at it and shake they're heads. Ball go far

Labels on clubs don't matter. You just need to know which one goes how far. The rest really isn't relevant

Not jus the gapping, but the flight - I think that part is critical.

We are in an era of technology where lofts don't make sense to be the same for every 7 iron on the market, between the tech packed into it and the type of player intended to use the product. It simply cannot be expected to be apples to apples.

I couldn’t agree more.

Think lofts nowadays are just a number. Like the legend Aaliyah said “age is just a number” I am going to coin “loft is just a number” hold on while I patent it , none of you are taking my shine. 🙃

Back