Oh, just stamp the darn degrees on irons please!

TLuke

Reaction score
Handicap
None
Just watched Matt @ Golf Sidekick on YouTube hitting (no, bombing) a 26* Epic Star 7 iron. That’s my 5 iron loft! With all the iron loft jacking, why don’t OEM’s just stamp the degrees on their clubs? I know your answers already. Anyway, I’m going to the basement now with a Sharpie to renumber my irons. Must keep my ego inflated for 2021.

loft jacking..

Hogan did that with their PTx irons and people hated it

the loft would just be another arbitrary number anyways

All you have to know is how far your 7 iron goes.

Hard no.

Happy to go down this road/discussion again though. ;)

Man I wish I could find that picture where I sharpie'd mine. It exists here somewhere...

THP bans political discussions. How about a ban on loft jacking threads? 😂

It's time for the loft jacking discussion. Yea! It's been a few weeks.

There was one on a Mizuno group this week that just got nasty - lots of name calling over lofts.

THP bans political discussions. How about a ban on loft jacking threads? 😂

no thanks, always informative to get perspectives.
Everybody seems to rush into them though, proclaiming they hate them haha.

I have two drivers.
12*
10*

I hit the 12 degree farther. The argument that suggests, loft and only loft as a distance tool is incorrect.

Count me in the group who prefers just the Number on the Iron, not the loft.

If my 7iron is 30* and yours is 27*...

I don't care.

Meh I had a fitting and the X Forged 6i (29°) and Mavrik 6i (24°) had a 4 yard carry difference and less than 1 yard total distance difference. I am also exceedingly unknowledgeable in this field.

no thanks, always informative to get perspectives.
Everybody seems to rush into them though, proclaiming they hate them haha.

I have two drivers.
12*
10*

I hit the 12 degree farther. The argument that suggests, loft and only loft as a distance tool is incorrect.
I am just joking. Sure you know that.

• Appreciation
Reactions: JB
The beauty of it is those of us(me included) that want to play a set that starts with a 46* PW have plenty to choose from. Some in my regular foursome can hit their 7 iron as far or farther than I can hit mine but my 3 wood still goes farther than their driver. :)

A proper gapping session will let you know what you need in the bag and what you don't. If there is an iron at the top of the bag or the bottom of the bag that needs to be added/subtracted, you can do that.

Phil played the Epic Forged irons because he could hit them high enough to stop the ball.

I have a similar take to @JB’s. I loved the look of the Smoke Green PVD shaft so much that I decided to buy one and put it in a more lofted, higher spin driver head than I am used to using. I had it lofted at 11 degrees. I don’t remember ever having a driver at 11 degrees. When my body felt really good, I hit that driver longer than anything I have hit in the last 20 years. I wish my body could always feel loose and that driver would have been in the bag a long time. However, the point again is that loft was just one factor in the equation for distance.

I will never care what the lofts are for the sake of number of degrees. In irons, I would like consistent distance (more is good) and great gapping. From there, the number on the iron tells me which iron to pull and sequentially, it is easier to remember 7 than 31*, or whatever.

I actually liked the lofts stamped on the original PTx but it took some time to get used to it. It was definitely a mind eff for awhile.

Just watched Matt @ Golf Sidekick on YouTube hitting (no, bombing) a 26* Epic Star 7 iron. That’s my 5 iron loft! With all the iron loft jacking, why don’t OEM’s just stamp the degrees on their clubs?

A 26 degree 7 iron is absurd.
I agree about the degree stamping.

My Cleveland RTX4 wedges say 52 and 56 but I had them bent to 54 and 58. Do i need to send them back to Cleveland for corrected loft numbers?:ROFLMAO:

I demoed the PTx irons when they first came out, had to put the numbers on the clubs with a marker so I wouldn't forget. Cleveland has done a numbers/loft on some of their irons, but I still prefer numbers on clubs.

My Cleveland RTX4 wedges say 52 and 56 but I had them bent to 54 and 58. Do i need to send them back to Cleveland for corrected loft numbers?:ROFLMAO:
Many iron sets are adjusted here and there for gapping. Your lost is clever but on point.

Back