Ohio Golf courses closed...now reopened

PKorf

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
0-10
get out and golf folks......it’s coming. Ohio has been the first to do all of this ****....

Un...EFFING.....believable....

As mentioned in the rant thread covid can p*** right off

Thank goodness I got out of the state. Sorry to hear this boys!!!

get out and golf folks......it’s coming. Ohio has been the first to do all of this ****....

Un...EFFING.....believable....

New Jersey closed all of its golf courses a week ago. Pennsylvania closed its courses at least several days before that.

But luckily it’s the end of March and April...so...it could be worse.

Ohio has been the first to do all of this ****....
Wisconsin shut down courses on Tuesday as well. There was an online petition that looks like has gotten the attention of a state congressman. I am crossing my fingers for this to get reversed, but not too optimistic as I have been less than impressed with our governors response to all of this. As has been already stated, at least it is March and April and not summer...yet.

Ah man. I was at least able to get out yesterday. I was by myself, so it was a nice walk and great 9 holes. Should have went again today. Oh well, I’ll just keep to the house and walks around the neighborhood as I have been doing.

Helena, MT just shut down our local courses staring tomorrow until April 10th at the earliest

I am pretty annoyed by this. My course did everything they possibly could to accommodate with the expectations.

While I respect the need for social distancing (and actually take it very seriously), eliminating areas that can clearly accomplish this is beyond my tolerance level. I've been in my development after work each evening this week, and I've been around parks. I would argue that golf courses are significantly safer because on the actions I've seen.

What a mess.

Illinois is pretty much the same way. :rolleyes:

I am pretty annoyed by this. My course did everything they possibly could to accommodate with the expectations.

While I respect the need for social distancing (and actually take it very seriously), eliminating areas that can clearly accomplish this is beyond my tolerance level. I've been in my development after work each evening this week, and I've been around parks. I would argue that golf courses are significantly safer because on the actions I've seen.

What a mess.
Agree 100%, we’re “encouraged” to get outside, go to parks etc, but they close the golf courses? Seems counterintuitive to me but What do I know??

Our province up here closed the courses for roughly a week and at a minimum until April 9th I believe although most likely longer, it really depends on the cas volume/ trends. It is so far not a big deal as 99% still not open as still too early anyway. I understand and fully support 100% social distancing and must be practiced 24 X 7 by everyone for the next few months but golf is one activity where under certain restrictions I believe could function.

From a maintenance of the course perspective and the workers, it is rare where employees of the course need to be within 6 feet of each other. Of course, I’m envisioning 100% clubhouse/proshop lockdown, 100% pay in advance, single cart usage (if can’t walk), etc. etc. Regular exercise and body health they say is important element to combat any illness. I just hope when we see this trending down that everyone keeps an open mind. Social distancing will be lasting for months and I don’t want to be sitting at home in June & July.

Happy I got a round in yesterday afternoon. I get it, they are playing it safe. But I cannot say I agree with it. Agree with @jbuck31 and @Canadan. If you are going to leave parks open, golf should be as well. This just made this whole situation a lot worse for us golf lovers. @Canadan Where do you belong?

I wonder what this means for leagues this summer? 😬

Well crap.

I have one that’ll let me on it open or no, obviously walking only if they’re closed, but my lard ass could use it anyways. She’ll probably tell me to avoid the holes that are visible from the road (which are the only nice ones, but some golf is better than none).

There is only one obvious solution for you @PKorf , take you and your wife’s stimulus check and get you a SkyTrak.

Not surprising at all. All states will be headed this way.

Except ours with our ignorant ass bum f**k governor.

Agree 100%, we’re “encouraged” to get outside, go to parks etc, but they close the golf courses? Seems counterintuitive to me but What do I know??

In MN all the state parks are open and they are encouraging everyone to get out. To me a golf course is a 140+ acre park and when walking a round it’s much easier to maintain a 6 foot personal space than I witnessed on the walking trail around one of our many local lakes yesterday. If you made the 2.5 mile loop around the lake you would have been close to many dozens of people.

I've been trying to find an official announcement regarding this, but haven't seen anything. If this is true I'm going to be very...upset. Getting out for a quick 9 is/was the only thing keeping me sane through this mess.

I got out on Tuesday and played Delaware Golf Club because I figured it would happen eventually. Im more annoyed because at first they said that golf courses could stay open as long as they followed certain guidelines and the courses did follow those guidelines and then, later in the week, they changed their mind and said they were shutting them down.
Im also annoyed because they said that we were allowed to get out to get exercise and the metro parks are still open so that you can get out and use the hiking trails and theres no more risk on a golf course than there is if you are out running around your neiborhood or if you are using the hiking trails at a metro park; yet the golf courses are shut down.
Oh well, I get it. Stay at home means stay at home. 🤷‍♂️ I guess the silver lining is that its only March and hopefully the SAH order will be over by May or June.

For contracting or spreading the virus I do not believe "walking for exercise" is the same as playing a golf course. On a golf course players are standing, walking etc... in essentially the same spots and areas as each other all day long, especially the tee box and greens areas.
All factors considered, I think closing golf courses , parks , playgrounds etc...is a good , sensible decision.

In MN all the state parks are open and they are encouraging everyone to get out. To me a golf course is a 140+ acre park and when walking a round it’s much easier to maintain a 6 foot personal space than I witnessed on the walking trail around one of our many local lakes yesterday. If you made the 2.5 mile loop around the lake you would have been close to many dozens of people.
This exactly. We finally saw some warm weather the last couple days. I golfed with three of my regular buddies Thursday. We drove to the course separately, none of us went inside the club house, tee times were spaced way out, I pushed my own cart, the two guys who rode each took separate carts, made sure to never get within 6 feet of each other, or touch anything we didn't bring. Yesterday I hiked one of our public trails with my wife and was so on edge the whole time. Like you said, crossed paths with dozens and dozens of others, often there wasn't a way to maintain 6 feet when passing someone going the opposite direction, no idea how many others used the hand rails to get up or down the steeper sections safely, I needed to grab them several times. If governments are going to force course closures they need to close the trails, dog parks, and a zillion other places the virus is more likely to spread than at golf courses too:mad:

My buddy is in charge of the greens committee at our club and he just told me that the state governors office is firm on not even allowing for course maintenance. They won’t allow even our head greenskeeper to be out on the course all by himself but of course our kitchen is staffed and open 9 hours a day for curbside pickup off the menu and we can also order groceries such as meats, cheeses, vegetables, etc. from the club for curbside pickup. The lack of common sense for not allowing any course maintenance at a critical time of the year here for turf grass is amazing.

One of the benefits to living in a more remote state is that if they actually follow suit (which I doubt), they'll be the one of the last states to do it. Same thing with where we're moving. I have a tour scheduled at one of the courses here later today. I may not agree with the majority of views in either one of these places, but I'm thankful that we share the one on golf being one of the safest things a person can do right now. If done responsibly.

Back