Ohio Golf courses closed...now reopened

I was going to play Thursday here and Wed, they announced the state-wide stay at home order. Since we are allowed exercise with social distancing, I agree with those who have said, walking on a golf course and hitting a little white ball is no more dangerous than walking on the sidewalk (or more likely to spread the virus). My local pro says I can hit range balls, so I may start walking to the course with a few clubs and wacking away at a hundred balls or so to keep my sanity.

Is there a 'Captain ObLIvious' too? I'm guessing that good caption is making a boatload with that highly desirable set of government mandate 'skills'.

This was inevitable as many courses closed on their own and the open ones were packed full on Wednesday. I know one local place was doing carts for singles only while I heard the other course had pairs still. I'd be fine if they went walking only but that wouldn't meet handicap accessibility requirements.

Now keeping greenskeepers from maintaining the grounds is just ridiculous. If the course isn't maintained it wont be ready for play when they can open. Hopefully there will be some sense applied.

This was inevitable as many courses closed on their own and the open ones were packed full on Wednesday. I know one local place was doing carts for singles only while I heard the other course had pairs still. I'd be fine if they went walking only but that wouldn't meet handicap accessibility requirements.

Now keeping greenskeepers from maintaining the grounds is just ridiculous. If the course isn't maintained it wont be ready for play when they can open. Hopefully there will be some sense applied.
We just got our notice from the local course and they will be allowed to maintain the course during shutdown. That is in CO

I'm kinda surprised that many of my local courses in Western NY are still open although that could change soon. Right now they're spreading out the tee times, can't use the clubhouse and are taking credit card payments only I believe.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The municipal course where I'm a member has been closed for two weeks. The maintenance crew is not allowed to work either. As much as I love golf, I would rather they err on the side of caution than not do enough.

My buddy is in charge of the greens committee at our club and he just told me that the state governors office is firm on not even allowing for course maintenance. They won’t allow even our head greenskeeper to be out on the course all by himself but of course our kitchen is staffed and open 9 hours a day for curbside pickup off the menu and we can also order groceries such as meats, cheeses, vegetables, etc. from the club for curbside pickup. The lack of common sense for not allowing any course maintenance at a critical time of the year here for turf grass is amazing.
That is just pure ignorance right there.

ONE person can't even be on the golf course maintaining it? Dangerous territory for a government to have that kind of unnecessary control.

For contracting or spreading the virus I do not believe "walking for exercise" is the same as playing a golf course. On a golf course players are standing, walking etc... in essentially the same spots and areas as each other all day long, especially the tee box and greens areas.
All factors considered, I think closing golf courses , parks , playgrounds etc...is a good , sensible decision.
Standing in a fairway doesn't infect it for the next person. That's a bit dramatic. Sharing carts, touching rakes, things like that? Agreed. But when those elements are removed, it's a WIDE open space. Nothing close to parks, neighborhoods, etc.

Outside of assuming people don't follow the social distancing protocols, there is no real reason to close a golf course.

Happy I got a round in yesterday afternoon. I get it, they are playing it safe. But I cannot say I agree with it. Agree with @jbuck31 and @Canadan. If you are going to leave parks open, golf should be as well. This just made this whole situation a lot worse for us golf lovers. @Canadan Where do you belong?
I belong to the Oasis in Loveland Ohio. Private.

The GM is pretty disappointed with the decision. It was appealed and upheld. They went above and beyond to respect social distancing as well. No rakes, no carts, 15 minute tee times, no amenities open, etc. No range. No putting green. NO golf without a tee time.

By comparison to many, many things right now, it might be one of the safer places outside of my house to be.

Standing in a fairway doesn't infect it for the next person. That's a bit dramatic. Sharing carts, touching rakes, things like that? Agreed. But when those elements are removed, it's a WIDE open space. Nothing close to parks, neighborhoods, etc.

Outside of assuming people don't follow the social distancing protocols, there is no real reason to close a golf course.

I am not qualified to know which behavior and, or, environment conditions transmits the virus.
Playing golf is not a necessary activity, so it seems to me a good sense decision when authorities close golf courses, playgrounds, parks etc....

I played at Windmill on Thursday and had a tee time for tomorrow. The course called me yesterday and told me about the State's closure of all courses.

That is just pure ignorance right there.

ONE person can't even be on the golf course maintaining it? Dangerous territory for a government to have that kind of unnecessary control.

I completely agree, especially on a privately owned property that has been in continuous operation for 96 years. I get how they have control over city owned parks/golf courses and state parks(which are all open) but private property should retain some rights during a crisis like this one.

One course is defying the order and is open today and taking tee times a week out. I think the owner wants the state to confront him and make the news. I have tee times Monday through Thursday at that course and am holding out hope to play.

I am not qualified to know which behavior and, or, environment conditions transmits the virus.
Playing golf is not a necessary activity, so it seems to me a good sense decision when authorities close golf courses, playgrounds, parks etc....
They are NOT closing parks. They are closing playgrounds.

I just went for a drive down into our local 'downtown' and it was absolutely packed with people. Closing golf courses would be a minuscule fraction of what closing pretty much any other 'local' outdoor place would do.

It's cherry picking at the County level and it's total BS.

I completely agree, especially on a privately owned property that has been in continuous operation for 96 years. I get how they have control over city owned parks/golf courses and state parks(which are all open) but private property should retain some rights during a crisis like this one.

One course is defying the order and is open today and taking tee times a week out. I think the owner wants the state to confront him and make the news. I have tee times Monday through Thursday at that course and am holding out hope to play.
It's a county level decision here.
About 10 miles away, there are courses open for walking.

This is obnoxious.

I belong to the Oasis in Loveland Ohio. Private.

The GM is pretty disappointed with the decision. It was appealed and upheld. They went above and beyond to respect social distancing as well. No rakes, no carts, 15 minute tee times, no amenities open, etc. No range. No putting green. NO golf without a tee time.

By comparison to many, many things right now, it might be one of the safer places outside of my house to be.

Very disappointing.. It is safer for them to stay open for the mental health of THP and the rest of the golfing world.

I just wonder how long this ban holds? For us in Ohio it’s a short few months of golf season and it would be devastating for that to be cut in half..

They are NOT closing parks. They are closing playgrounds.

I just went for a drive down into our local 'downtown' and it was absolutely packed with people. Closing golf courses would be a minuscule fraction of what closing pretty much any other 'local' outdoor place would do.

It's cherry picking at the County level and it's total BS.

The message I've heard from Government leaders is "the best way to control the spread of the virus is for people to stay at home unless it is absolutely necessary to leave home".

The message I've heard from Government leaders is "the best way to control the spread of the virus is for people to stay at home unless it is absolutely necessary to leave home".
The best way to avoid spreading COVID is to social distance. That can be easily accomplished on a golf course. EASILY. Closing a place that spreads people out on HUGE properties is not a reasonable decision, and even worse that it's happening at the county level. Parks aren't closed, playgrounds are. How in the hell is this different?

I am for closing down dine in restaurants. I am for closing down non-essential stores, malls, theaters, and etc etc with enclosed areas. I am for a LOT of that, but we are talk even remotely in that realm. Allowing courses to let four people off every fifteen minutes is incredibly low risk by comparison to walking in a park or downtown'ish area, and it's not even close.

The best way to avoid spreading COVID is to social distance. That can be easily accomplished on a golf course. EASILY. Closing a place that spreads people out on HUGE properties is not a reasonable decision, and even worse that it's happening at the county level. Parks aren't closed, playgrounds are. How in the hell is this different?

I am for closing down dine in restaurants. I am for closing down non-essential stores, malls, theaters, and etc etc with enclosed areas. I am for a LOT of that, but we are talk even remotely in that realm. Allowing courses to let four people off every fifteen minutes is incredibly low risk by comparison to walking in a park or downtown'ish area, and it's not even close.

It’s a ridiculous restriction that only a non-golfer could find reasonable. The parks and walking trails around the lakes here have 10 times the density of people that our golf course would have. The funny part is I’d mostly be going out as a twosome and half of my rounds would be with a buddy who’s already recovered from Covid 19 and is no longer contagious nor at risk for getting it.

It’s a ridiculous restriction that only a non-golfer could find reasonable. The parks and walking trails around the lakes here have 10 times the density of people that our golf course would have. The funny part is I’d mostly be going out as a twosome and half of my rounds would be with a buddy who’s already recovered from Covid 19 and is no longer contagious nor at risk for getting it.
Could not agree more, and honestly, my wife and I are taking this VERY seriously. We disinfect everything that comes into the house, we are exceptionally careful, and even when we go out into the neighborhood for walks with our Son, we adhere to social distancing of others with no exceptions. I see the request to social distance and I respect it immensely, but I do not believe this is an appropriate action. I cannot support it.

It's kind of like cheating on a handicap. People are going to social distance, or they aren't. Doesn't matter where they are. Reality is, if someone comes inside my six foot bubble at a golf course, I've got 14 clubs to wave around making sure they know I'm not messing around hahaha

Could not agree more, and honestly, my wife and I are taking this VERY seriously. We disinfect everything that comes into the house, we are exceptionally careful, and even when we go out into the neighborhood for walks with our Son, we adhere to social distancing of others with no exceptions. I see the request to social distance and I respect it immensely, but I do not believe this is an appropriate action. I cannot support it.

It's kind of like cheating on a handicap. People are going to social distance, or they aren't. Doesn't matter where they are. Reality is, if someone comes inside my six foot bubble at a golf course, I've got 14 clubs to wave around making sure they know I'm not messing around hahaha

Couldn’t agree more. We are taking this seriously and staying at home and even having groceries delivered. My golf buddies are the same and it’s super easy to stay 6 feet away from them on a golf course. I’m normally 50 yards ahead waiting for them to hit anyway!

One article from the chronicle said, "But employees were still being required to leave their homes and be in contact with the public, and that’s what the state is trying to avoid". I played twice last week and did not come in contact with one employee. Does not make sense to me 🤦‍♂️

One article from the chronicle said, "But employees were still being required to leave their homes and be in contact with the public, and that’s what the state is trying to avoid". I played twice last week and did not come in contact with one employee. Does not make sense to me 🤦‍♂️

Private courses that implement walking only don’t need the pro shop open or any interaction. Our club if allowed to be opened has proposed to the State that no guests, no carts, no contact with any employee. We don’t even need a starter as all of our tee times are made on the Foretees app the last few years anyway.

Back