Ohio, Indiana & Surrounding Area chat thread

Heads up for Akron area golfers. The Grint will be adding a new Akron area golf club shortly. More details to come.
Thats exciting news during these times! Thanks for the heads up!

Where has the Akron canton guys been playing ? How are the crowds and spacing of tee times ?

Oh nice! That is great to hear. Can we get some Grint Tour events going through it?

We should be able to. There has to be at least one event for the club per year for the USGA but hoping to have 2 or more.

Where has the Akron canton guys been playing ? How are the crowds and spacing of tee times ?

I have been playing at Sable Creek in Hartville, and Raintree in Green. Spacing has been great, really have not had interactions with anyone in the clubhouse or other golfers. I have been paying over the phone so I do not have to go in the clubhouse and then walking for the most part just to play it safe. Sable has been in great shape, Raintree pretty damp like usual.

We should be able to. There has to be at least one event for the club per year for the USGA but hoping to have 2 or more.

I would love to get involved in that, meet some golfers from the area, and compete!

I have been playing at Sable Creek in Hartville, and Raintree in Green. Spacing has been great, really have not had interactions with anyone in the clubhouse or other golfers. Raintree pretty damp like usual.

Thanks for the info. I live 5min south of Raintree. Used to be my go to spot but got tired of balls plugging up until about mid July 😀. I asked last year, if the city since taking it over, worked on the drainage. They said yes or at least had plans. Was wondering how that progress was going.

I figured they wouldn’t abide by Covid as they always seem to overbook causing 4-6 hr rounds. Their site said they had every16 min tee times but the online booking showed 8min. So they must have been sending people off the back too. I figured the log jam at #10 would be laughable. Glad to hear they seem to be managing it.

Playing Stonelick Hills today, little chilly but glad to be out.

Thanks for the info. I live 5min south of Raintree. Used to be my go to spot but got tired of balls plugging up until about mid July 😀. I asked last year, if the city since taking it over, worked on the drainage. They said yes or at least had plans. Was wondering how that progress was going.

I figured they wouldn’t abide by Covid as they always seem to overbook causing 4-6 hr rounds. Their site said they had every16 min tee times but the online booking showed 8min. So they must have been sending people off the back too. I figured the log jam at #10 would be laughable. Glad to hear they seem to be managing it.

Although play has been fairly quick, I just think it is because of low volume of golfers. You know how it gets in the heat of summer.

Progress has not been great at Raintree. The city is not running it, they hired the Billy Casper Company. It sounds like they are doing a terrible job, and the city is considering taking it out of their hands and having it ran by the city of Green staff.

Although play has been fairly quick, I just think it is because of low volume of golfers. You know how it gets in the heat of summer.

Progress has not been great at Raintree. The city is not running it, they hired the Billy Casper Company. It sounds like they are doing a terrible job, and the city is considering taking it out of their hands and having it ran by the city of Green staff.

Oh wow. Interesting because I believe the Casper group also ran Tam O Shanter which was one of the more profitable and well ran and maintained public tracks around.

FoxDen in Stow opened up yesterday. I haven’t been there, so not sure how the crowds are. I also saw that Roses Run in Stow was open. Have not golfers there either though.

FoxDen in Stow opened up yesterday. I haven’t been there, so not sure how the crowds are. I also saw that Roses Run in Stow was open. Have not golfers there either though.
Gotcha. Those are getting a bit too far for me to drive. With 3 kids At home I need to be really close to the course to get there and back quickly. Otherwise not happy wife 🥴

Great group of golfers here playing some good courses ... Roses Run, Raintree, Fox Den... How are conditions at each... I usually make a round at each of these each year.

Used to always do the Winking Lizard Golf Outing at Tam O Shanter... extremely fun times... now its at arrowhead - bleh.

Great group of golfers here playing some good courses ... Roses Run, Raintree, Fox Den... How are conditions at each... I usually make a round at each of these each year.

Used to always do the Winking Lizard Golf Outing at Tam O Shanter... extremely fun times... now its at arrowhead - bleh.

Being a shorter hitter, I like the layout at Arrowhead as you have options off the tee, but conditions can be iffy there at times. Although last year they kept up with it pretty well.

Never played Fox Den. Roses Run I usually play once or twice a year. Haven't played this year yet. Decent track but odd how the front is more links style golf and the back is more positional type of golf. Good mix I guess.

Just when I thought about making a tee time, the white stuff just started coming down again. sick and tired of Winter.

Playing Stonelick Hills today, little chilly but glad to be out.
What kind of shape was the course in? One of my favorite courses for sure.

Oh wow. Interesting because I believe the Casper group also ran Tam O Shanter which was one of the more profitable and well ran and maintained public tracks around.

I did not realize they ran Tammy, that was always a nice track. Such a shame they shut it down. Sad every time I drive by there and see the overgrown weeds :cry:

I played Roses Run a few weeks ago. Absoulte mud show. Barely playable.

Once it dries out, that course is fine with some fun holes!

Being a shorter hitter, I like the layout at Arrowhead as you have options off the tee, but conditions can be iffy there at times. Although last year they kept up with it pretty well.

Never played Fox Den. Roses Run I usually play once or twice a year. Haven't played this year yet. Decent track but odd how the front is more links style golf and the back is more positional type of golf. Good mix I guess.

Just when I thought about making a tee time, the white stuff just started coming down again. sick and tired of Winter.

@Gman79 I agree with you on the bleh of Arrowhead.. Not a fan.

@erock9174 You play the Sanctuary the most?

[/QUOTE]

Nah.
Very nice for a public track but I play as a single mostly and try and squeeze in 18 in slightly less than 2 hrs if all goes well.
Or if I’m in testing mode I like to get ahead and then camp out and hit test shots.

They always group up singles with Others and that slows my roll so to speak.

They get a ton of play so it’s not the best course if I want to test clubs etc.

@Gman79 I agree with you on the bleh of Arrowhead.. Not a fan.

It just really sucks that Tam O' Shanter sold off, played my league there for many years, 10 minutes from my house, The Lizard sponsored our league, Thursday night will never be the same. A handful of us jumped on the Prestwick deal last year and are enjoying that. It's a good and challenging layout, and the new owner is slowly bringing it back to where it was years ago.

Nah.
Very nice for a public track but I play as a single mostly and try and squeeze in 18 in slightly less than 2 hrs if all goes well.
Or if I’m in testing mode I like to get ahead and then camp out and hit test shots.

[/QUOTE]

That makes sense. I feel like it is hard to find places where you can fly around solo? What is the go to track?

It just really sucks that Tam O' Shanter sold off, played my league there for many years, 10 minutes from my house, The Lizard sponsored our league, Thursday night will never be the same. A handful of us jumped on the Prestwick deal last year and are enjoying that. It's a good and challenging layout, and the new owner is slowly bringing it back to where it was years ago.

Nice.

Prestwick will be back in shape over the next couple years if they put money into it. I played my league there for a few years, and yes it is a great layout and tough track. What did they charge your for league fees at The Wick?

What kind of shape was the course in? One of my favorite courses for sure.
It was great, not to sure about the fairways as I wasn’t there too much lol. The greens were awesome though, held while hitting into them and were pretty fast. Sucked that is blowing about 25mph all freakin day and I was paying like a 25 handicap instead of a 5 lol. Otherwise the course was great.

Nah.

That makes sense. I feel like it is hard to find places where you can fly around solo? What is the go to track?
[/QUOTE]

I pick and choose my spots usually. Will often just look at online tee times during the week and if a large group are still avail I’ll book
Then and just take some PTO to play.

but that usually means playing like a 7am round on a Tues morning.

courses like Chenoweth, Raintree, Arrowhead, Chippewa etc are usually pretty dead week days from 7-2 before leagues start.

Nice.

Prestwick will be back in shape over the next couple years if they put money into it. I played my league there for a few years, and yes it is a great layout and tough track. What did they charge your for league fees at The Wick?
I didn't play in a league there. Four of us from our league at Tammy joined. Last year golf was $99/month plus cart fees, annual golf fee of $399, quarterly food and beverage $225. Monthly golf fees increased to $130/month this year starting on your individual anniversary date, but we knew this when joining last year. After being public for a few years they went back to private this year, which was their goal. They had a tremendous response to the membership special offered last year, and they've added more memberships from Rosemont in Fairlawn closing, so we'll see if it feels more crowded this year. Last year 3 1/2 hours was considered a long 18. The food at Prestwick has been very good, so $225 has been easy to spend, and that is low compared to most clubs.

Back