OhioGolfer's 2021 Handicap Quest

Distance and strokes gained is of course the talk of the town but at least for me on some holes I'd rather make sure I'm in the fairway than as long as possible with risking being in deeper rough / out of position. This Lou Stagner stat would IMO back that up and was actually rather surprising:

View attachment 8986007

Knowing Lou, I doubt he'd agree with your conclusions.

He's pretty big on hitting it as far as possible if the only potential problem is the rough.

The data table tells us the actual difference between the two though? So the risk reward changes depending on the lenght of the hole assuming hitting it farther in the fairway has more risk associated to it.

The data table tells us the actual difference between the two though? So the risk reward changes depending on the lenght of the hole assuming hitting it farther in the fairway has more risk associated to it.

Yeah so assuming a 300 yard drive (about average for the pga, and note this table is for the pga tour), there's a much bigger advantage going from 200 out to 180 out, then there is from being 100 out to 80 out. Thus you should be willing to take on more risk in the first situation than the second situation.

That being said, on a 360 yard hole where there's as much trouble 300 yards from the tee as 250 yards from the tee, he'd still tell a tour player to hit driver.

Another way to look at it would be to imagine a 500 yard hole. According the chart 312 in the rough is as good as 275 in the fairway. Let's say you hit your driver 312, and hit your 3w 275. You would have to never miss the fairway with 3w, and always miss the fairway with driver to make hitting 3-wood as good as hitting driver. Even if you hit the fairway 99% of the time with 3w, and 1% of the time with driver, hitting driver is the superior choice.

It's a lot different for a 350 yard hole, where 293 in the rough is as good as 214 in the fairway. Crudely speaking, this says that being in the fairway instead of the rough is worth about 80 yards of distance. If this is true, and your 3-wood goes 30 yards shorter than your driver, you would have to hit the fairway 37.5% (30/80) more often with 3w than driver for 3w to be the better play. Unless you are god awful with your driver, no player is going to see such accuracy improvements but dropping one club - most people would be lucky to see even a 10% improvement in accuracy.

Last edited:
Got out and played back to back days at the same course. Greens haven't been cut yet for the year and were super slow making chipping really easy and putting really difficult. Gaining a lot of confidence with the Cobra driver and also played the last 2 rounds with my Hogan Ptx Pro irons instead of the srixons. I hit them really well as well, so all in all pretty good 2 days.

1st round
39-43 82
33 putts
6/18 GIR
9/14 Fairways

2 doubles on the back 9 derailed a good round.

2nd round
38-40 78
31 putts
9/18 GIR
9/14 Fairways

Was testing out the G410 hyrbrid for the first time and hit 2 OB on 2 different back 9 tee shots. Re-teed both times and made par for doubles.

Joined a new course this week and this was my first round there since. Played the back 9 first.

40-43 83 with 1 birdie
30 Putts
5/18 GIR
10/14 Fairways

Outside of my double/triple back to back it was a pretty good round. It was pretty wet and some greens were punched so not taking too much into this round other than had some good swings and some bad ones. Can't wait to play here more throughout the year.

Played 18 on Sunday in Cincinnati at Legendary Run. Getting off the tee was the best part of my game in the round. I felt like I hit the irons pretty well but for some reason couldn't figure out the distances. I would hit it right at the pin and then fly the green by 10 yards and then the next hole come up a club short. Having a hard time scoring to start the year.

41-43 84
30 Putts
5/18 GIR
11/14 Fairways

Best of luck on the journey. I'm at 10.7 and want to get to 8 this year. I'm in the Loveland/Milford area if you ever want to link up for a round. Always looking for fellow golfers to play with.

Best of luck on the journey. I'm at 10.7 and want to get to 8 this year. I'm in the Loveland/Milford area if you ever want to link up for a round. Always looking for fellow golfers to play with.
Absolutely, we travel around Ohio to play throughout the year.

Played 18 on Sunday in Cincinnati at Legendary Run. Getting off the tee was the best part of my game in the round. I felt like I hit the irons pretty well but for some reason couldn't figure out the distances. I would hit it right at the pin and then fly the green by 10 yards and then the next hole come up a club short. Having a hard time scoring to start the year.

41-43 84
30 Putts
5/18 GIR
11/14 Fairways
It didn't help that when you did hit a green, it was 40 feet by the hole when it finally stopped and you couldn't land short cuz the ground was soft. Damned either way. I thought you hit the ball pretty good.

Absolutely, we travel around Ohio to play throughout the year.
Anything south of I-70 I'd be in, and always game to head into bourbon county if we meet up with @ KY Golfer

1st full range session in the books today. It was pretty wet, so mainly worked on driver/woods. Got a Cobra speedzone 3 wood the other day so spent a lot of time with that on the range today trying to dial it in.

Got out the other day and played. Struck the ball pretty well for the most part, and pretty happy with my score.
37-41 78 with 2 birides
29 putts
6/18 GIR
9/14 Fairways

Got out on Tuesday and the wind was howling and made it a little difficult. Either way I was pretty happy with the round and how things went. 3rd time out this year at the new course I joined, have now played it probably 8-9 times in my life so I'm getting the hang of it.

41-40 81 with 2 birdies
30 putts
8/18 GIR
8/14 Fairways

Through 8 rounds

Fairways- 66%
GIR- 6.375 per round
Putts- 31 per round

Handicap- 7.8

Last round the other day was

46-39 85 with 2 birdies

The front 9 was atrocious with 3 3putts. Made back to back birdies on 17/18 to finish, with a hole out from the bunker on 18 (My first time doing that) so at least finished strong.

9/14 fairways
7/18 GIR
34 putts (20 on the front 9)

Back