OhioGolfer's 2021 Handicap Quest

OhioGolfer

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Weather
I finished the 2020 season with a handicap of 7.1, and realistically would like to get down to a 5.5 in the 2021 season. I am usually not one to practice very much but do play around 100 rounds every year. This year I am going to try and practice more and put a little more effort into getting better. I am going to set some goals for the season and track them in this thread throughout the year. I am going to try and be diligent with my stat keeping this year so I can try and track where I need to improve as well.

1. Handicap reduced to 5.5
2. 20 range sessions
3. 20 1/2 hour putting sessions

Some on course goals for the year

1. 60% fairways hit
2. Average 8 greens in regulation a round
3. 34 putts per round average
4. More rounds in the 70's than the 80's

Current WITB
Driver- Ben Hogan GS53
3 Wood- Ben Hogan GS53
Hybrids- Ben Hogan VKTR
Utility Irons- Callaway X Utility
Irons- Srixon 565
Wedges- Ben Hogan Equalizer
Putter- Ben Hogan BHB01

Putting and try to gain a few mph and iron yardage are on my 2021 list of goals. Might need to do a evaluation of the top end of the bag as I feel it's there and in the wedges I need the most options. Mid and shorter irons I feel I can always club up or down a little and can give up one or even two clubs easily in the 6 - PW range somewhere (e.g. have a weaker 9i and jump to a 48 instead of having a PW in between).

From a stat point of view I found this table to be pretty good and in line with what I saw when I kept these basic stats for my first 20 rounds in 2020:

1609543983288.png

I found the relationship to scoring as presented in this table to be pretty spot on. For putting in addition to total putts I will try to look at putts inside of 5ft and lag putting performance as total putts as a single nr can include a diverse basket of scenarios.

I tried to use ShotScope but was too lazy to keep it going, my understanding is that they'll get strokes gained added to the app soon so will try to pick up the usage again. Otherwise I pretty much keep it to GIR, Putts, D-bogeys, and penalty strokes.

Distance and strokes gained is of course the talk of the town but at least for me on some holes I'd rather make sure I'm in the fairway than as long as possible with risking being in deeper rough / out of position. This Lou Stagner stat would IMO back that up and was actually rather surprising:

1609544643880.png

Awesome goals! Looking forward to the journey!

Good luck brother, you've definitely got the game for it and with actual practice. You might be even better than a 5. My only goal is make contact with the ball and move it forward, which are improvements to my current situation. ;)

1.6 is a great goal! Like the practice session goal too. Good luck!

Dude excited to see your plan for accomplishing this. Will be fun to watch & good luck.

I am focused on jumping on a journey just like this!!!

You need to start playing with us more. That will make you feel better about your game and give you the confidence you need. :LOL:

Join an easier course. That’ll cut it in half
It's going to be tough there, I might need to play some other courses a lot during the year to make this dream a reality haha.

You need to start playing with us more. That will make you feel better about your game and give you the confidence you need. :LOL:
He's had a front row seat to my crappy golf for years. I don't think that's the issue :ROFLMAO:

Best of luck with it. Nice solid plan too. :golf2:

Being in Ohio, not much has gone on since the 1st of the year with my golf game other than a vistit to Top Golf and the simulator a little bit. I am heading to Texas tomorrow and the plan is to get 3 rounds in this weekend. I'm excited to track my stats and see how the weekend goes. I will be putting the Cobra Speedzone driver in play without hitting it before so we'll see how that goes. I will also be using the new Srixon Zstar and Zstar XV that I won off their facebook page to test out.

Good luck on your journey bud.
I like the goals. Very thought out. And achievable.

Thanks man, hoping to take some steps forward with my game this year.

Good luck on your journey and I am looking forward to following along.
I also like how you have outlined your practice goals, something I hadn't thought of and will now "borrow" for myself(y)

The Texas wind won this weekend against me on my trip. It was a tough 2 days, but I was able to keep track of my stats to get a start on the year. With around 6-8 inches on the ground back home I won't be playing for a while.

Tour 18 Dallas
Fairways- 9/14 64%
GIR- 4/18 22%
Putts- 31

Hawks Creek
Fairways- 9/14 64%
GIR- 8/18 44%
Putts- 34

The Texas wind won this weekend against me on my trip. It was a tough 2 days, but I was able to keep track of my stats to get a start on the year. With around 6-8 inches on the ground back home I won't be playing for a while.

Tour 18 Dallas
Fairways- 9/14 64%
GIR- 4/18 22%
Putts- 31

Hawks Creek
Fairways- 9/14 64%
GIR- 8/18 44%
Putts- 34
Nice start with some solid numbers (y)
Looks like the wind had a say on your GIR from the fairways at Dallas?

Tour 18 Dallas
Fairways- 9/14 64%
GIR- 4/18 22%
Putts- 31

Hawks Creek
Fairways- 9/14 64%
GIR- 8/18 44%
Putts- 34

Not a bad start considering, it is February in Ohio and when was the last time you were able to swing a club on the course??
Good Luck on this journey!

Nice start with some solid numbers (y)
Looks like the wind had a say on your GIR from the fairways at Dallas?
Yep, on that day the wind picked up on the back compared to the front. It played a big part in my downfall. I need to learn to play in it a little better.

Not a bad start considering, it is February in Ohio and when was the last time you were able to swing a club on the course??
Good Luck on this journey!
Yeah, it's definitely been a while. Got to hit a few at top golf and once into the screen. Not too mad at the results considering.

I was able to get out and play some simulator golf today while there is still snow on the ground here. Felt good to be swinging again and so far I am loving the Cobra speedzone driver.

Back