OITW’s True Spec Full Bag Fitting

OITW

Reaction score
Thanks to @oumagic for posting about the complimentary True Spec Full Bag Fittings.

I’m lucky enough to have a True Spec Fitting Center in the Boston Area

Scheduled my fitting for this morning, 9am.

It was an easy process, called the number, left a message they called back within an hour and we set it up (points for the quick call back).

They sent me a survey to fill out last night to get to know me and my goals for the fitting.

Background:

It’s been 3/4 years since I had a comprehensive fitting, usually just one part of the bag with the fitter at my old course. I’m curious to see what the numbers are since then.

Goals:

1) Shafts are my primary focus - which True Temper Sports shaft is the best for me - which shaft overall gives optimized performance for every club in my bag
1b Most curious about wedge shafts - what’s the optimal setup for me

2) Current setup - my beloved Cobra F9s any tweaks changes to the current setup - whether it’s shaft or Length Lie Loft that could dial it in better for me - get it firing on all cylinders

3) Ideal equipment setup if it’s a departure from my Cobra gear - understanding the why behind it outperforming the current bag

4) Putter setup - 2nd new putter in the bag in as many years and it has taken the dreaded 3-putt out - only have done one putter fitting on a sam machine and we didn’t get into specs - just the best head for me, Want to understand my putter loft/lie better

Overall really excited to do this - hoping to see improvement, or at the very least becoming more knowledgeable about my game and optimizing the bag setup.

Post up any questions you have please.

True Spec Iron Fitting Foresight Data 10.5.19 1.GIFTrue Spec Iron Fitting Foresight Data 10.5.19 2.GIF

Current Setup: Cobra F9 Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 105

Ball used for fitting Srixon XV

I tried a lot of shafts, my iron swing was great for the fitting and we were getting solid numbers from both my gamer and the test shafts.

My goal for the iron fitting was maximizing my current setup - loft lie length and or am I maximizing the performance with the current shaft setup.

I'm getting a new bag next year, so I didn't want to see what from the 2019 lineup could perform better as I am happy overall with my current setup.

Based on my right to left ball flight, launch angle/spin/descent angle

Nick said the goal of the fitting was to improve launch and the metric that he was focused on was descent angle and getting it up from the mid 30s that I was at with my gamer setup.

I tried an assortment of shafts from steel to graphite True Temper/KBS/Accra/Nippon's/Project X

I was fitted for the Rifle Blanks as it improved my descent angle to 40* from the mid 30s and my launch improved as well.,

The crazy thing is the Rifle shafts are 141 grams and the Tour 105s are 107 grams.

It was a big departure for me to go heavier, where in previous fittings the thought was to go lighter. I know SW is a big component, but it was definitely crazy for me to have these shafts give me the best numbers compared to where I've been previously and seen success.

Breakdown of my new specs with the F9 setup:

True Spec Iron Fitting Specs 10.5.19.GIF

He also recommended the MCC Plus 4 for me as my left hand was very strong and my miss throughout the bag in my fitting was the dreaded low hook (more on that with driver/woods :mad:)

Last edited:
True Spec Wedge Fitting Foresight Data 10.5.19 1.GIFTrue Spec Wedge Fitting Foresight Data 10.5.19 2.GIF

Current Gamer Setup: Cobra King Black Wedges 52 Classic/56 Versatile/60 Wide Low
Shafts: Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 105

Ball: Srixon XV

Background:

In my past fittings we never really spent much time with wedges, so I was really excited for this aspect. I've also matched the shafts in my irons into my wedges when I use the clubs for full shots. I did that with my current setup, however I went all Tour 105s instead of going heavier in say the 60, which was a mistake on my part based on the above results.

Normally my 56* is my 110 yard club and it's pretty accurate for me - it's my go to layup yardage, so anything to improve it would be gravy

Fitting:

Started hitting my 56* had some going a little left of target, but overall was pretty dialed in. We saw a bit of rollout with it. Nick suggested going heavier to match the irons, getting more launch and getting it to hit and hold, not really spin back too much but not release as well.

This was probably the most fun swapping the shafts around as the heavier we went the better the results got. We landed on the S400 in Onyx - the full murdered out look. I never would have thought I could game S400s and see improved performance.

The only other head that I tested was the MIM wedge and the crazy thing was we put the same shafts in there and I was tugging it left, with all of the shafts, it was a downgrade in performance - Nick attributed it to the changed grind in the versatile 56* and more turf digging ?‍♂️

Murdered out Cobra Black wedges baby!

See below for the Wedge specs:

True Spec Iron Fitting Specs 10.5.19.GIF

Last edited:
True Spec Putter Fitting Foresight Data 10.5.19 1.GIFTrue Spec Putter Fitting Foresight Data 10.5.19 2.GIF

Received the Putter Fitting Data from Nick.

My gamer is an Odyssey SL #3 Putter 35"

Srixon XV was the gamer ball for this test.

Used a GCQuad for the putter data.

10ft carpet was the distance.

In our conversation pre putting, I told him about my beloved Nead with ALL.OF.THE.TOE.HANG. (My fail was not bringing it) I told him about my EXO experiment, however it didn't have enough toe hang and I struggled with it. He said going to the three with the Toe Hang was a good move off the bat, and see if he could dial it in or find something that worked better.

We talked about alignment, Nick was surprised at how many people he fits that don't align the ball toward the hole. I always put the arrow at my target on all of my putts.

We did not look at length of the putter or any kind of static fitting like that.

I rolled a few putts with my gamer - based on the numbers he adjusted the lie to 1.0 Flat - he said it seemed like the heel was catching or dragging a bit, helped make it a cleaner strike.

My numbers and putting improved after that tweak. However in column three of the first picture, I wasn't generating an forward spin with the SL in both versions, he had me try an Ardmore, but it wasn't an improvement over the Odyssey.

His outside of the box thought was to try the Bettinardi QB9 which is a mid mallet, with my Arc stroke he wanted to get me into another head that offered toe hang but had the mid mallet forgiveness.

It was pretty close performance comparison the QB9 to the Flat SL - I think I might have made one more putt than the SL. However his big callout was that I wasn't generating Forward roll with the SL, but the QB9 when we looked at all of my strokes, I was generating the forward roll.

Needless to say, I ordered a QB9 from @Ryan_BudgetGolf - who HOOKED me UP!

Last edited:
True Spec Driver Fitting Foresight Data 10.5.19 1.GIFTrue Spec Driver Fitting Foresight Data 10.5.19 2.GIF

Current Setup: Cobra F9 10.5* +1* OLYSS 65g SW D6
Ball: Srixon XV

Background:

I've started playing the OLYSS 65g back in August and I have 20 rounds under my belt. It has been the best combination of this driver that I've tried compared to both a HZRDUS Smoke Shaft/ UST Elements Helium and MCA Tensei Blue.

This was the most frustrating part of the fitting for me, as my swng absolutely deserted me and it wasn't the great performance out of the gamer setup, that I was hoping to see. On that note, nothing else really helped me.

Fitting:

It was frustrating, I tried a bunch of different shafts, including some long drive Patterson shafts lol. The best results that I saw were when we took the SW down from D6 to C9.

Follow-Up:

Played 18 holes yesterday, played the front 9 with the C9 setup and really struggled - switched to my Unicorn setup and crushed some big bombs. Just highlights the frustration if you don't bring your "on course" swing

Fairway wood was just as big a disaster - and how I've been trending with it, I think I'm going back to the Thriver setup to finish out the year.

Good news was that the HZRDUS Red that I have in there was the best option for me compared to some of the other ones that I tried.

Last edited:
B5D2A1D3-EC9C-4355-9F59-B269E8BB5889.jpeg66DA89B8-D430-4D97-8554-8EC75CC60365.jpegCA7FBCBA-5AD4-42AB-91CC-5E35B2DDC8F1.jpegA3341D5D-8F3C-413E-BD37-6D9F103EB7AD.jpeg2F1FC9B1-29FE-4349-A7C5-50079403379C.jpeg

The Fitter: Nick DelSapio was fantastic.

He met me at my car, carried my bag inside. The service was top notch.

It was just the two of us in the facility (the other bay is currently open).

He was very knowledgeable, but he was also able to take the information and communicate it in a manner that was understandable and he was concise in the delivery of the information as well.

He also had some great stories about his time as a Pro, that were very cool and helped to kind of break up the fitting (sorry no spoilers, you gotta see him for yourself).

He sent me my data within an hour after completing my fitting, which was great.

Facility: The facility was top notch, it looked brand new, even though he said they've been there a little over a year. Everything looked brand new.

We used the Foresight GCQuad for both the full swing fittings and also the putter fitting.

Facility was very clean as well.

Location was easy to find, they provided great directions.

Pre-Fitting Booking/Customer Service:

It was easy to schedule the fitting, I called their corporate number, left a message and they called me back within the hour and setup my appointment.

The day before I received a survey to fill out to assist the fitter with the goals and information about my game. It was short and easy to fill out, nothing too crazy.

They also sent a few surveys post fitting to inquire about the experience. It was great experience and I would highly recommend Nick and True Spec for your fitting needs if you're in the Boston area.

Last edited:
Really looking forward to your thoughts.

Very curious to hear your thoughts on this.

Full bag is a lot of swings.

Can’t wait to hear your thoughts. I have my fitting with them coming up next week.

I agree the process was very easy to setup as I did mine completely through email

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can’t wait to see your thoughts. Hope there is a break in there somewhere that is a lot of swings! Putter fitting is most intriguing to me and is near the top of my want to do list.

That is awesome, have fun today! Looking forward to your feedback.

Lucky! I’m excited to see how this good and what you end up getting fit into!

Looking forward to seeing the experiment and results you get.

Question, is driving iron fitting a thing? I would be very interested to know how that would work out for you and the results you would see, just to see how much difference there is, if any, from what you and I have been playing.

i hope you get out of it everything you want!!!! and i’m really excited to read your wrapup.

Have fun and report back. Looking forward to hearing about the putting, iron and wedge fitting parts.

Lol I’m planning on bringing three putters - all to be adjusted to me hopefully.
One driver head and three shafts to see If any could be repurposed into fairway shafts or maybe used as ideal driver shaft.
I will also ask about final set gapping because if the iron fitting is like many - hit 7 irons with a variety of shafts I won’t be impressed. Hopefully they have some kind of deal if I buy a custom order iron set through them direct from maker they’ll have me back to see all the specs and performance of all irons and tweak if necessary. Hard to believe like magic a 1 degree upright through the entire set is ideal for anyone considering the variability of life angles across manufactures from one set to the next cant be everyone’s ideal.
Mizuno stock is different from ping and the change from iron to iron is different so to say you’re just two up in Mizuno or 1 up in Titleist seems like a ball park.
Also I’m curious to see how a soft stepped 4 iron compares to a standard 4 iron. Will I get more height. Will it make it easier to hit? Etc.
I’ll make sure report back after my fitting. Also I will push to stay within the manufacturer custom catalog to avoid huge up charges on shafts. I don’t mind paying an extra 150 for a driver shaft due to upgrade but no way will I except nothing in the catalog fits and I must buy full priced driver and 350 for after market shaft lol that’s when you get into the 700-900 driver category. Been there and wasn’t impressed long term.

Take it from me unless your money grows on trees a close stock offering will be just as good as the absolute best combo they found after about 5-6 months of using it. Swings change. Bodies change. You’re skill ebbs and flows. If it’s close and 400 less go with that option.

I will also ask about final set gapping because if the iron fitting is like many - hit 7 irons with a variety of shafts I won’t be impressed.

These type of fitting centers have 7-iron/6-iron heads and a bunch of shafts. I’m going to say there is almost a zero percent chance they have the ability to gap your entire bag with the resources they have. I would also be surprised if they have the ability for you to hit a standard and soft-stepped 4 iron.

Last edited:
Looking forward to your results and thoughts.
I really wish we had something like that here in Spokane.....

But I wonder if for a discounted rate you could bring your new set in ordered thru them , they check specs, maybe adjust swing weight, go thru the set maybe tweaking a little if needed - not for free but not the just walked thru the door price since you went thru them to purchase and fitting etc. would be really nice and definitely feel more fit for you.

Yea the soft stepping an iron is hard. Easy to do on my own though too. So i could always just get the shafted and pull and install it as long as they’re taper tip i don’t mess with parallel.
If they did it’s a good chance it would only be a few models in a few brands more than likely in stiffer flex’s - I’m pretty much an x100 guy but I’d love to try s400 tour issues to see if maybe I get a little more out. Idk. The x100’s to me feel smooth and just right. Plenty high and plenty of spin.

You got soft stepped regular flex in your 68* degree wedge?

More like 60g catalyst soft stepped

Hope you’re having a blast dude. Can’t wait for the write up

Back