Oklahoma Onion Burgers

YukonLiving

Team Hackers
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Anybody make Oklahoma Onion Burgers before? I just learned of them yesterday and gave it a shot for supper tonight. Super simple to throw together, and quick too!

I used 80/20 ground beef, yellow onions, brioche bun and topped with mustard, pickles and cheese. Salt and pepper to season while beef was cooking.

I really liked them! I’ll definitely be making again!

I’ll have to snap a photo next time... they disappeared before I had a chance!

Anybody make Oklahoma Onion Burgers before? I just learned of them yesterday and gave it a shot for supper tonight. Super simple to throw together, and quick too!

I used 80/20 ground beef, yellow onions, brioche bun and topped with mustard, pickles and cheese. Salt and pepper to season while beef was cooking.

I really liked them! I’ll definitely be making again!

I’ll have to snap a photo next time... they disappeared before I had a chance!
You know it my man!

LEGENDARY. I was actually born in El Reno which is the onion burger capital of the universe. Several little competitive diners in town. They originated when meat was on rationing abs onions were a way to stretch them. The key is to get them thin and greasy haha

Never have but want to now.

How much onion is mixed in with the burger?

You know it my man!

LEGENDARY. I was actually born in El Reno which is the onion burger capital of the universe. Several little competitive diners in town. They originated when meat was on rationing abs onions were a way to stretch them. The key is to get them thin and greasy haha
Yeah, I saw a little film about them last night and had to give it a try!

Next time I’ll add a little butter in the pan first I think.

Wow what a cook top! That looks super nice to prepare food on!!
I do a ton of cooking. So when we built the house I insisted on having a 48” 6 burner stove and griddle.

Never have but want to now.

How much onion is mixed in with the burger?
Absolutely worth a try!!

I used one whole onion on two burgers! Haha there was a lot of onion, but I think that’s the whole point. Some were fantastically charred, caramelized, and fried. And some even with a little bite still!

Onions are sliced paper thin and then piled on the burger after you smash it down while it’s cooking.

Absolutely worth a try!!

I used one whole onion on two burgers! Haha there was a lot of onion, but I think that’s the whole point. Some were fantastically charred, caramelized, and fried. And some even with a little bite still!

Onions are sliced paper thin and then piled on the burger after you smash it down while it’s cooking.
Man sounds tasty!!! I’d be the only one eating the burgers though. Everyone hates onions in the house besides me.

Man sounds tasty!!! I’d be the only one eating the burgers though. Everyone hates onions in the house besides me.
Yeah, nobody wanted any here either! Haha! Worked for me though - fewer onions I needed to slice.

Onion burgers are the best burger. Johnny's in El Reno, OK is the "original" and one of the best.

So it’s just a burger......with onions?

Born and raised in Texas. Never even heard of an Oklahoma onion burger

I love a good onion burger. My mom used diced onion at about an onion per pound of beef and then fry them up (thin patties were key). We would grill them often and I think that was when she first tried the diced onion/burger mixture.

This sounds so good. Love onions and burgers.

They were originally called Depression Burgers from the Great Depression

They’re amazing.

Ahhhhhh haaaaaa........ now I get it. I was like, ok....onions. Lol. But this.....this looks delicious.
TotWBurger.jpg

Almost reminds me of a Whiteys burger up near Brecksville.
Yes a bit. You’d be disappointed to find out that they now only use frozen beef.. found that out two years ago.

Ahhhhhh haaaaaa........ now I get it. I was like, ok....onions. Lol. But this.....this looks delicious.
TotWBurger.jpg
Knowing full well that I just had my first taste of these, and I made them with zero comparisons, I’d confidently say that they’re very tasty!

These are the two juggernauts apparently. What’s better about each?!
They’re really close to each other, the rivalry is tame now but once upon a time there was three, Johnnies, Sids, and what was my favorite growing up, Roberts which had literally 8 seats at a bar in it.

Back