Old school golfer swing traits you have

Paladin

Otter be golfing
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So this was something I was thinking about when I read through some comments about my swing from the Mark Crossfield live lesson. One of the comments said I raise my right heel too early to be successful with swing changes, especially changing my slice to a draw. I thought about this, and I looked through some videos where I found another golfer who was under-sized and swung very hard in an effort to hang with guys who were much taller and objectively stronger. That golfer's name is Gary Player, whose right heel comes off the ground as soon as his left heel comes down.

I don't swing like Gary Player. I'm not gifted with the long arms he has relative to his height, and I think in our respective heys I was probably a bit stronger in terms of power lifts. But I still ended up with his knee kick-in that helps me keep my weight inside of my right knee, and I definitely explode off my right foot like he did. There's been a lot of talk through the golf community about how we've lost sight of what makes the swing great and powerful, but I keep finding hints of that old school flow in my swing, which is normally about as "brute force & ignorance" as it gets.

So my question...whether intentionally or simply as a byproduct of trying to make your swing functional, what "old school" traits did you end up with? A flying elbow? a knee kick-in? Moe Norman's single-plane swing?

Last edited:
I used to kick with my right foot on the downswing, but that led to some discomfort on my right hip, which was a bit scary because it coincided with Tiger's "hip problem" which ended in back surgery.

Right now I've shifted to rolling my left foot to start my downswing.

As for old school, my follow-through is Moe Norman-ish, where my arms are pointing to the target at almost chest-height rather than hip height.

I rotate my head to the left before take-a-way like Jack Nicklaus!!

i think tempo would be more old-school than new-school for me. i do not have an aggressive move like the crazy kids these days.

I think my tempo fits this category. I always wanted to swing like Payne Stewart. If nothing else, i think i got close to his tempo.

Lately I have been doing the unforgivable by using my wrists during my putting stroke. My putting has improved especially my lag putting... Also sometimes i get very wristy during chip shots which pops the ball on the green with alot of roll.

I turn into a grumpy old man if the group in front of me plays too slow.
My golfer buddy refers to it as becoming a 'curmudgeon'.

But, I guess 'grumpy old man' isn't really 'old school'.

I try and swing like Ben Hogan. In my mind, I feel like my swing is exactly like his. However, on video it ends up looking more Happy Gilmore.

I rotate my head to the left before take-a-way like Jack Nicklaus!!

Stenson is a current player who does that too. I have a bit of the same

How far I hit the ball sadly

My swing is home grown and old school. It's had some modern tweaking with the takeaway but that's about all that's been done. I'm about one question: am I hitting target? Y/N.

Moe Norman single axis swing without a doubt. I may not do it exactly the same, or any where near as well, nor consistently, as Moe, but his influence, as well as that of Jack Kuykendall, Scott Hazeldine, and Todd Graves, are written all over my swing.

Back