Oldest Course You've Ever Played

Lahinch Golf Club in Ireland. 1892. That’s not what I shot but closeπŸ˜€

Ardglass Golf Club - Est 1986 but the club house dates from 1405AD if that counts

Also visited but couldn't play (it was lashing wind and rain and also members day) but walked out on the first and tenth tees at Royal County Down when I went back home 6 weeks ago. RCDGC - 1889.

Pebble Beach built in 1919

Without knowing the history of many courses I play it is hard to say. For sure Fall River Country Club, 1895 and Sakonnet Golf Club, 1899. These courses have been played by the likes of Harry Vardon, Frances Ouimet, Bobby Jones....I try to keep that in mind as I play and i find knowing a bit of the rich history really changes the playing experience

Harry Vardon - six time British Open Champion and the 1900 U.S. Open Champion. Plays at the Fall River Country Club in 1900
93258600_1321216448072568_4237281070556381184_n.jpg

My home course dates from 1900 - Elsham Hall Golf Club.
Earlier in the season I played Woodhall spa golf club which is the National golf Centre in the Uk and is less than 60mins from where I live. It dates back to 1891.

I’ve played Kebo Valley in Bar Harbor, ME

Founded in 1888 claims to be the 8th oldest golf club in the nation.

I was looking at a scorecard from Sea Island Plantation Course a little while ago and that course was first designed back on 1927. That got me thinking about what the oldest course I have ever played may be. Right now I think the oldest course I have played to date would be the Brunswick Country Club founded in 1899. I was a bit surprised to see that was the oldest course. I thought it would have been the Atlanta Athletic Club or East Lake (East Lake was the AAC at one point I think). The oldest in the State of Georgia is Savannah Golf Club which was started way back in 1794 and claims to be the "oldest golf club in North America and USA, on a non-continuous basis". Foxburg Golf Club In Pennsylvania (1884 with 8 holes, expanded to 17 in 1887) appears to be the oldest course in continuous operation.

So what is the oldest course you have played?
The "New" course. 1895, I think!!

Three of our local course date from 1895 ( Country Club of Rochester ), 1899 ( Genesee Valley Golf Club ) and 1901 (Oak Hill Country Club ).

Old Courseβ€”St Andrews

Donald Ross course in Lenoir, NC. Probable early 1920's. Looked it up, 1927.

Last edited:
Taconic Golf Club in Williamstown, MA. Opened in 1896.

Plum Lake Golf Club in Sayner, WI. It was built in 1912 and considering northern Wisconsin, I cant imagine what else was there when it was built.

St Andrews and Montrose Golf Links
Well, if you read history about Scottish golf, you will find that St Andrews dates back to 1552. However, the "club", The Society of St Andrews Golfers was formed in 1754. "In 1552, Archbishop John Hamilton gave the townspeople of St. Andrews the right to play on the links. In 1754, 22 noblemen, professors, and landowners founded the Society of St Andrews Golfers"
First recorded mention of golf at Montrose was in 1562 but the "club" was instituted in 1810.
Those are my 2 oldest courses to have played.
As far as courses in the US, the oldest course I have played is Highland Park (original Country Club of Birmingham) in Birmingham Alabama built in 1903

Last edited:
Off the top of my head I would say:

Franklin Park Golf Course - Dorchester, MA 1896 (2nd oldest public course in America)

Back