Oldest Course You've Ever Played

Presidio Golf Club in San Francisco which was originally built in 1895.

EDIT: I was wrong. It's Catalina Golf Club on Catalina Island which was built in 1892. Don't know if that nasty run down 9 hole course counts though. :D

Ottawa Hills in Toledo built in 1899, one of my all time favorite courses.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I was looking at a scorecard from Sea Island Plantation Course a little while ago and that course was first designed back on 1927. That got me thinking about what the oldest course I have ever played may be. Right now I think the oldest course I have played to date would be the Brunswick Country Club founded in 1899. I was a bit surprised to see that was the oldest course. I thought it would have been the Atlanta Athletic Club or East Lake (East Lake was the AAC at one point I think). The oldest in the State of Georgia is Savannah Golf Club which was started way back in 1794 and claims to be the "oldest golf club in North America and USA, on a non-continuous basis". Foxburg Golf Club In Pennsylvania (1884 with 8 holes, expanded to 17 in 1887) appears to be the oldest course in continuous operation.

So what is the oldest course you have played?

Without looking them up individually, I'd guess it'd be Kalakaua Golf Course that was on Schofield Barracks on Oahu, HI. It is closed now, but was opened in 1922.

Chicago golf club “Oldest course in America “. Allegedly 1578676085049.png

Washtenaw Golf Club, a now Semi-private course with some spectacular rolling fairways. Opened in 1899 and has saw very minor redesigns through the years. Fair but challenging.

US- St Andrews 1888
World- St Andrews 15th century

Swipe memorial opened 1934 Tillinghas design.

The original 9 holes of Capital City Country Club opened in 1914, but thre second 9 wasn't added until 1935. El Campeon at Mission Inn was opened in 1917, so that's the probably the oldest course I've played as 18.

then I guess I’ve played an older course than I thought. Didn’t know it was that old

Mohawk Golf Club Schenectady NY. Club was incorporated in 1898 and course dates back to 1903 or 1904.
This. ^^^^^^

I could claim the Cape Arundel GC in Kennebunkport,ME. It opened in 1&96 but the original course was replaced with a Walter Travis design in the 1920s

A couple local courses:

- Miami Springs 1923, hosted the Miami Open with winners Gene Sarazen and Sam Snead.

- The Biltmore 1926, a Donald Ross course where Al Capone and his gangsters used to hang out in the hotel. During WWII, the property was used as a hospital taking care of wounded soldiers.

Annie Lake is the oldest for me... ca. 1942.

Augusta Country Club, 1899. The nicest Donald Ross design in town.

Brackenridge Park Golf Course in San Antonio (oldest 18-hole public golf course in Texas: 1916)

Locally, probably Twin Lakes (Kent, OH) which Inthink was 1923

there were a few in England when i was stationed there from the mid to late 1800's,
I have no idea about here in the US

Probably my old course back in the UK, Hartley Wintney. 1891.

**edit** Nope. Ballycastle beat it by a year. 1890.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back