Olympics Golf 2016 - Winnings

Mmaynard11

Grandaddy Captain Alumni
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Not only will the winner of the 2016 Golf Olympic Event take home a gold medal, they will be winning an exemption for all of the 2017 Major's!

2016 Olympics - Gold Medal Winner Will Be Exempt into All Majors in 2017 | Golf Channel http://www.golfchannel.com/news/gol...-winner-will-earn-exemptions-all-majors-2017/

For me I think this addition is great and will bring an added fire for the competitors.

Thoughts?

That is a huge additional prize.

Wow that's a pretty big prize for some.

Additionally silver and bronze medal winners will be exempt for first round of US Open qualifiers.

Pretty huge.

That's pretty cool. I think the olympics deserve a big prize.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very big. Great to see the PGA, R&A, USGA and Augusta National all the same page.

Just saw that. Stakes raised.....

JM

WOW huge prize there! that will keep everyone on their toes!

I think the stakes just got much bigger for those lower ranked from smaller countries. Golf in the Olympics just went to...

#AllEyezOnMe

Great incentive to win the Olympic gold.

Not that they aren't already but that should get their attention.

Definitely worth getting whatever disease you walk out of Rio with.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

That's a huge prize, I'll be curious to see who wins and who gets in that wouldn't have otherwise.

That is huge for the countries with players outside of the top 50 in the world. Anything can happen in a 72 hole stroke play event

Wow that is huge! I love seeing this, should definitely put a lot more emphasis on getting that gold medal!

I agree this is huge and it will improve the competition. And that makes me a touch sad - I kind of wish an olympic gold medal was enough.

I agree this is huge and it will improve the competition. And that makes me a touch sad - I kind of wish an olympic gold medal was enough.

For some of these competitors, how long will a gold medal feed the family? It's an amazing feat to win a gold medal, no question. For some of these folks that chance to compete in a major could change their lives. It's a chance for so much more, a chance to maybe really improve their lives and their family's lives. I think it will probably turn out like expected with one of the top 4/5 ranked people winning, but like PhillyV said, 72 hole stroke play, you never know what could happen.

NOw that is awesome!

I really like this move! Really makes it matter for those lower ranked guys.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Wow...there are a number of smaller countries players who would benefit from this a lot!

For some of these competitors, how long will a gold medal feed the family? It's an amazing feat to win a gold medal, no question. For some of these folks that chance to compete in a major could change their lives. It's a chance for so much more, a chance to maybe really improve their lives and their family's lives. I think it will probably turn out like expected with one of the top 4/5 ranked people winning, but like PhillyV said, 72 hole stroke play, you never know what could happen.
Many of the countries pretty much pay you for life if you win a gold medal and you are given the ability to move your family to better living situation. Some of the asian countries especially. They take their Olympics much more seriously than we do.

That said I doubt the winner isn't already a full time member on PGA/EPGA, so they are probably already in 3/4 of them. Never know though.

That's pretty sweet! Although I'm not too excited about the whole situation in Brazil.... I think this is a great way to put some extra push from all the athletes involved.

That is pretty awesome. Definitely makes things more interesting and should be a great motivator.

This is monstrous, I saw the announcement last night and I was blown away by it

Back