On Course Approach to your Short Game

Like some said, try to keep it as simple as possible, but there are a few factors that will decide what club I use.

1. lie
2. how much green do I have to work with
3. Wet or dry conditions

If it is dry and I don't have much green to work with I will use my 54 almost always. If it's fluffy and not a lot of green to work with I'll pull the 58 PM grind and open the face up. If its damp/wet conditions like it is a lot during the winter, I will use my AW. Less likely to dig and cause me to hit it fat. Also, if I have a descent amount of green to work with I will pull the AW. That being said, the biggest thing that has helped me has been picking a landing spot and not thinking about the rest (after I determine the upper 3 factors). Pick the landing spot and let your perception/club do the rest. You will eventually learn how the ball is going to react based on the club and where to pick your landing spot. I quit looking at the hole and just the landing spot right before I hit and it has given me a lot more up and downs than previously. If you don't have multiple clubs you are comfortable, that's ok too. Get one you are comfortable with and roll with it. Everyone has their own game. Pick a landing spot and go for it.
That's what I've been doing over the past year. I have a large enough yard I can easily practice all shorts of shots with my 58*. Since the grass is tall, I get no roll, but instead I've gotten good at picking a spot and hitting it there. I'm just trying to find another option, especially when I'm in the fairway, short of the green, with lots of green to work with. I think this is the area where I am short of the hole the most.

I try to eliminate variables. I'm all for just clearing the fringe and getting things rolling a lot of times, but if it's a real tough putt from that spot it's a nightmare pitch, so I'd probably fly most of what's making it so. I tend to lean away from using a bunch of different clubs. The number of shots you run into with even 1 is pretty infinite around the green, multiply that by 4 or more clubs, and there's just no way to master anywhere near all of those combos imo. I'll use anything if it's what's truly needed, but I stick with 2 the huge majority of the time, and 1 is my go to. Bread, and butter. I rarely move the ball back in my stance unless I'm on a pitch, focus on body/weight positioning, open the face as a last resort, and try to remember that a neutral handle handles most situations best.

That's what I've been doing over the past year. I have a large enough yard I can easily practice all shorts of shots with my 58*. Since the grass is tall, I get no roll, but instead I've gotten good at picking a spot and hitting it there. I'm just trying to find another option, especially when I'm in the fairway, short of the green, with lots of green to work with. I think this is the area where I am short of the hole the most.
In this case it would be my 54 or AW depending on how wet or dry it is and if I have a lot or little green to work with.

Some of the themes that speak to me:

1. Keep it simple
2. Find a club you're comfortable with and make it your normal go to
3. But, add in another, and use it when the situations call for it.

Define "short game."
For me:

95-105 yds - full attack wedge
85/75/65 - full 54 wedge using marked chokeup points on the Ping/Iomic Dylawedge grip. I'm constantly amazed at how well these work for me, and quite honestly, I don't know why more golfers don't use them, unless they are comfortable choking up without guides/marks.
65/55/45 - full 58 wedge using marked chokeup points

From there in, I use a combination of partial "lob" shots and the bump and run method taught by Paul Runyan in this hoot of an old 2-part video. I have cited this here many times. I use the bump and run whenever I can because it's basically one stroke - my putting stroke, adjusted for distance. If I'm 20 yards from the hole, I'll make the same stroke I would for a 60 foot putt. - I'll vary the club to get the desired fly/roll ratio. In my current set, my 9-iron rolls about as far as it flies. Because I don't play a lot, I this gives me more ability to produce different results around the green, depending.

Define "short game."
For me:

95-105 yds - full attack wedge
85/75/65 - full 54 wedge using marked chokeup points on the Ping/Iomic Dylawedge grip. I'm constantly amazed at how well these work for me, and quite honestly, I don't know why more golfers don't use them, unless they are comfortable choking up without guides/marks.
65/55/45 - full 58 wedge using marked chokeup points

From there in, I use a combination of partial "lob" shots and the bump and run method taught by Paul Runyan in this hoot of an old 2-part video. I have cited this here many times. I use the bump and run whenever I can because it's basically one stroke - my putting stroke, adjusted for distance. If I'm 20 yards from the hole, I'll make the same stroke I would for a 60 foot putt. - I'll vary the club to get the desired fly/roll ratio. In my current set, my 9-iron rolls about as far as it flies. Because I don't play a lot, I this gives me more ability to produce different results around the green, depending.

Valid point. For this instance, I'd say 25 yards and in. More so greenside, but 25 yards and in is sufficient and more what I'm wanting to target.

I've been working through what you outline though. I have a good idea of what a full and 3/4 swing gets me in my 50*, 54*, and 58*, and have a basic feel for what I need to cover yardages from 110 and in. Do I always execute...no, but this methodology has definitely allowed me to get much better with a wedge in my hand. Need to work on, and see how choking up works though, for distance control.

Valid point. For this instance, I'd say 25 yards and in. More so greenside, but 25 yards and in is sufficient and more what I'm wanting to target.

I've been working through what you outline though. I have a good idea of what a full and 3/4 swing gets me in my 50*, 54*, and 58*, and have a basic feel for what I need to cover yardages from 110 and in. Do I always execute...no, but this methodology has definitely allowed me to get much better with a wedge in my hand. Need to work on, and see how choking up works though, for distance control.

I've found the partial sand and lob wedges from shorter distances 15-30 yards to be good options that I didn't really have until I was forced to develop them because the sims I played didn't acknowledge bump and run shots. It was more of a bump and stagger. But the scores are better the more I bump and run from around the green.

As I search for a way to get more up and downs, I'm turning to you THP for ideas on how you approach your short game, specifically greenside shots. I know a lot is dictated by your lie, hazards, etc, but what is your on course approach to your short game?

Do you have one club you feel comfortable with and you use it from all greenside shots? Do you use 4 different clubs depending on what's in front of you, or how much green you have to work with?

Do you want to get it high and stop shortly there after, or do you want to keep it low and let it roll out?

Do you have a swing thought that has helped improve your consistency?

Let's hear what works for you, and if it doesn't work currently, maybe you can learn something new and improve!
Wow, I think I could write my own book on my short game thoughts.

First of all, on all green side shots, I always read the green, just like I would a putt.

Next, from off tee, I'm always looking for an approach shot into the green, from 100 yards or closer. My comfort zone.

As for what club I use, I have no favorite. I will use various clubs, depending on the situation, and the shot needed. Carry vs roll out type thing. I use the same stroke for all my chips, and shorter pitches. Doing this allows the club to do all the distance work. I will use any club from a 6i, to my 60* degree lw. Sometimes, even my 7W might be my short game club.

High vs low shots, again a a situational type thing. I do prefer the the shorter carry longer running shots. I find that judging the roll out is much easier than judging a higher carry shot. This goes back to reading the green.

I'm not apposed to hitting a higher carry shot, especially when something is in my way, that will inhibit a longer roll out. I'm a pretty good flopper of the ball.

If I have a swing thought, it's to just get the ball close enough, for an easy one putt.

I have adopted a chipping stroke that is identical to my putting stroke. I will use this stroke even shorter pitches. Paul Runyon (RIP) has some You Tube videos on this. I've found this adds consistency, and accuracy to my short game. I get alot of one putt opprutunies with this stroke.

I probably spend 2/3s of my practice time on my short game. Yes, I know all about the strokes lost, and gained practice regimen today's practice gurus like to see. That's fine for others, but not for me. Plus practicing my short game is easier, and cheaper than spending time on my long game off the tee, and fairways. That said, I don't neglect my longer clubs. They still get a 1/3 of my practice time, which actually is quite bit.

I practice short game shots from all types of lies. Both clean, and awkward. More so on the awkward shots, especially from those four, pesky uneven (ball/feet) lies.

I also spend time practicing my green reads. I don't know many golfers who spend time on this aspect of the short game. It just stands to reason, that the more I know about the roll of the ball, the closer to the cup the ball is going to stop at.

Im also fortunate to have two courses near by that allow me different greens to practice on for my green reads, and putting.

Another thing I do with breaking putts, if I miss, I want to miss on the high side of cup. Using the high side allows more of the cup to be used.

Wow, I think I could write my own book on my short game thoughts.

First of all, on all green side shots, I always read the green, just like I would a putt.

Next, from off tee, I'm always looking for an approach shot into the green, from 100 yards or closer. My comfort zone.

As for what club I use, I have no favorite. I will use various clubs, depending on the situation, and the shot needed. Carry vs roll out type thing. I use the same stroke for all my chips, and shorter pitches. Doing this allows the club to do all the distance work. I will use any club from a 6i, to my 60* degree lw. Sometimes, even my 7W might be my short game club.

High vs low shots, again a a situational type thing. I do prefer the the shorter carry longer running shots. I find that judging the roll out is much easier than judging a higher carry shot. This goes back to reading the green.

I'm not apposed to hitting a higher carry shot, especially when something is in my way, that will inhibit a longer roll out. I'm a pretty good flopper of the ball.

If I have a swing thought, it's to just get the ball close enough, for an easy one putt.

I have adopted a chipping stroke that is identical to my putting stroke. I will use this stroke even shorter pitches. Paul Runyon (RIP) has some You Tube videos on this. I've found this adds consistency, and accuracy to my short game. I get alot of one putt opprutunies with this stroke.

I probably spend 2/3s of my practice time on my short game. Yes, I know all about the strokes lost, and gained practice regimen today's practice gurus like to see. That's fine for others, but not for me. Plus practicing my short game is easier, and cheaper than spending time on my long game off the tee, and fairways. That said, I don't neglect my longer clubs. They still get a 1/3 of my practice time, which actually is quite bit.

I practice short game shots from all types of lies. Both clean, and awkward. More so on the awkward shots, especially from those four, pesky uneven (ball/feet) lies.

I also spend time practicing my green reads. I don't know many golfers who spend time on this aspect of the short game. It just stands to reason, that the more I know about the roll of the ball, the closer to the cup the ball is going to stop at.

Im also fortunate to have two courses near by that allow me different greens to practice on for my green reads, and putting.

Another thing I do with breaking putts, if I miss, I want to miss on the high side of cup. Using the high side allows more of the cup to be used.
Great thoughts, thanks! I too have adopted the stroke that almost mimics my putting stroke. Leads to a lot more consistent results!

Chipping is my bugaboo. I try to get the ball on the ground as soon as possible but where my issue is the landing area. I land it short a lot. It his the fringe and kills or hits the skirt and jumps. I have to find a way to get that landing area more consistent to 2 feet on the green.

I have been working my way into more options around the green. I used to just grab the 60. Have been using 9-LW.

Biggest thing I have learned from over analyzing and trying to much when it comes to short game, have a go to shot/technique and use it 98% of the time. Adjust the club as needed for distance.
For me, its sort of what Phil has said is hinge and hold but there’s plenty of release in order to deliver the bounce at contact.

I do have a decent flop shot if needed and I can give it the old punch/stab too, but not typical shots and on it for specific instances.

I use one club for 98% of my greenside or shorter distance shots. And I truly think it's the strongest part of my game. Like you mentioned in the things you're seeing most responses of, I keep it simple. I know what that club can do in all the different ways I use it so I can rely on it almost all the time. Conditions may call for a different club but with everything considered equal a majority of the time, one club does the job for me.

Get ball on ground running asap. Only time I don't is when I must cover a bunker or rough

Going to make this a focus in my afternoon round today.

I remember hearing this too, and it kind of started my ponder.

I think it is the most consistent way. There are people that argue both sides but to me it seems much more reliable. I am talking about greenside. There are always situations that change things like the lie, the contour of the green, whether you have to carry a trap etc. In general I am strong in my belief that it is better to get the ball on the ground.

It is pretty easy to learn how far different clubs rollout after carrying in the air. From that point you only need to have one swing and not create different swings for many shots. This is mostly referring to chip shots/bump and runs. For most shots more than 20 yards from the green up to about 80 I use my 58* including out of the sand.

Last edited:
Up until recently, I've had a large gap in my bag between 50/58 and I never felt confident enough in the 50 to put it to work too often - leaving me with the 58 for most things from about 75 yards and in. I've made it work for long enough with mixed results that this winter I have made it a point to learn more shots around the green (and fix that gap in the bag). I don't necessarily feel as if my game is at the point where I need to worry a lot about face manipulation but if I can add to the repertoire of shots around the green and continue to lunchpail myself to a reasonable amount of success then I'm happy for the meantime. I can see the benefit in having a few stock shots to pull out of your pocket that you use 60-70% of the time but thinking back over this season at that 20-30% of times I looked at a lie/obstacle/etc and was basically a turtle on a fencepost is making me rethink my short game.

Lately I have been subscribjng to the Mickelson school of thought of using one club, in my case a 58* wedge, for all of my green side shots and altering ball placement to dictate hight and roll out.

For 100 yards to greenside, I basically go Pelz mode with 4 wedges. I have a stock full, half, and 1/3rd shot with all of them and a known distance of how far they'll play, give or take 5 yards.

I chip with a SW if the greens are small or they're fast, and a GW if they are big and rolling gently. I like the iron-putt approach but rarely find myself in situations where I need that much rollout. A lot of times I'm on the collar, I just putt it.

The LW is never too far away. I use it for most bunkers and for hero flops.

I sort of stab my chips with a very small version of my full swing aimed just in front of the ball. Probably not pro stuff, but it has been getting me up and down pretty well lately. I'm a shallow swinger and 99% of my blown chips are thinned, so that technique keeps me hitting down on the ball.

All my pitches and chips are set up the same way, feet together and ball just inside my front foot. I want to add a low back foot shot to the bag, but it thins way too often. Gonna work at it on the range tomorrow.

Last edited:
As I search for a way to get more up and downs, I'm turning to you THP for ideas on how you approach your short game, specifically greenside shots. I know a lot is dictated by your lie, hazards, etc, but what is your on course approach to your short game?

Well... you said it, it's quite dependent on the lie, and all that.

Do you have one club you feel comfortable with and you use it from all greenside shots? Do you use 4 different clubs depending on what's in front of you, or how much green you have to work with?

The latter. Different shots, different clubs.

Do you want to get it high and stop shortly there after, or do you want to keep it low and let it roll out?

Lie and pin position permitting, my preference is to get it on the ground and rolling as quickly as I can.

Kinda...

I choose a spot where I want the ball to land. It's a very specific spot, and I focus hard on that spot, and try to hit it.

Let's hear what works for you, and if it doesn't work currently, maybe you can learn something new and improve!
I use whatever club best suits what I'm trying to accomplish, given the lie, pin placement, hazards, etc. It could be a 6 iron, it could be a 58° wedge, could be a putter, or anything in between. If there's nothing between me and the hole that I need to deal with, my goal is usually to get it on the ground and rolling as soon as possible. With that said, I love being creative with the short game - even sometimes when it's not in my best interest! I'll vary ball position in my stance, open/close the club face, toe down chip, etc.

I use what I guess you'd call a "modified hinge and hold" for most shots - "modified" in that I preset the hinge before I swing, and hold it there through release. The best swing throught for me is that I want to concentrate on rocking my shoulders back and through, almost like a putting stroke - I don't want it getting handsy/flippy unless I need that to pop the ball straight up in the air, and I definitely don't want to decel into the shot. When I start getting handsy and flipping the clubhead, chunks and skulls are more likely to happen.

One thing I was working on while chipping today:

Staying absolutely as LOOSE as possible - hands, arms, shoulders, legs, all loose. Relaxed. No tension. The only muscles I was consciously activating were my abs.

The results were (for me anyway, YMMV) pretty stark. The more relaxed and loose I was, the better the chips got.

I mean, you could’ve very easily pulled the club from my hands, they were that loose and relaxed. It took me several times thinking “My hands are so loose I’m gonna drop this damn club” before I could trust it.

I’m gonna see if I can take that out onto the course tomorrow.

Back when I was competent at short game it was 1) keep it simple; 2) lean on 1 club for everything unless I absolutely had to do a specialty shot; 3) practice, practice, practice.

Back