On line Ping fitting

jhtr20

Reaction score
Handicap
I was wondering if anyone has done the online fitting on the Ping website. Sitting around on a snowy, rainy, can't do anything because of covid Saturday I figured I would give it a whirl.
Driver and fairway weren't a surprise, 9 degress G410 plus with a Tensi orange 60 stiff, fairway was the same shaft but the 70 version. What I found really intriguing was the irons. i210 with Nippon Modus 105 X stiff. Heading towards 59 years old I was a bit taken back. Looking at shaft specs these are within a couple grams of 120. People have expressed that the on line fitting was spot on for them. But I can't figure the rational of the x stiff shaft selection. I did indicate accuracy over distance in the tool. Any thoughts as to the iron shaft selection?

How do you know what your numbers, such as carry distance , are to input ?

The iron shafts are based on what you put for your carry distance. Each 5 yard increment gives a different recommendation. Just happens to have one that recommends 105X at lower carry number than you expected.

Iron heads are based on your handicap and if you want distance or precision.

It's a static fitting not a dynamic fitting. It basically translates their charts into recommendations. As the warning states at the beginning, this is not a replacement for a dynamic fitting.

How do you know what your numbers, such as carry distance , are to input ?
From years of playing and hitting hundreds of shots on launch monitors.

From years of playing and hitting hundreds of shots on launch monitors.

For determining carry yardages I think the most sensible method is to play 10 shots from level lie, level terrain, no wind, moderate temperature conditions. From those 10 shots determine the average carry distance. Repeat same process a week or two later. After multiple sessions a reasonably accurate carry yardage may be established.One challenge with this method is measuring carry yardage. Even if one can find a level lie and level terrain shot to a level terrain green, hitting 10 shots into a green is not good etiquette . Another option is to have a friend spot and mark where shots land, similar to how discus throwing marks are done.
The electronic methods popular today, such as Trackman or GC Quad, don't seem to provide accurate real course carry yardage numbers, so I don't believe electronic generated numbers are useful for club fitting.

Never knew they offered that option

I mean, don't buy from a static online fit if you don't have to, but it put me in pretty decent recommendations right now. Red dot iBlade or i500s (depending on what desired), Nippon modus 3 105x, standard size tour velvet. I hate those Nippon, but they really should fit me better than they seem to (it's a weight thing), I don't want blades, but I've hit the i500s and like them, I play standard grips, and red or orange dot lie angles. So, not bad. I'm a little impressed it got the red dot thing. That's already better than other online fits generally do.

It may also have to do with the fact that stiffness isn't standardized between manufacturers - so an XStiff Nippon Modus could be as stiff (or less stiff, or more stiff) than an XStiff from another brand.

I agree with @OldandStiff, don't buy from a static online fit if you don't have to, but if it's all you have it's better than nothing. You said you have years of playing experience and seem to know your numbers pretty well, so you're probably in a better position to self-fit than somebody who doesn't have those things going for them. There are a lot of fittings done off the launch monitor numbers. Not many fitters have the opportunity to take you out on a course for several sessions and observe/measure your stats there.

It may also have to do with the fact that stiffness isn't standardized between manufacturers - so an XStiff Nippon Modus could be as stiff (or less stiff, or more stiff) than an XStiff from another brand.

I agree with @OldandStiff, don't buy from a static online fit if you don't have to, but if it's all you have it's better than nothing. You said you have years of playing experience and seem to know your numbers pretty well, so you're probably in a better position to self-fit than somebody who doesn't have those things going for them. There are a lot of fittings done off the launch monitor numbers. Not many fitters have the opportunity to take you out on a course for several sessions and observe/measure your stats there.
If I'm putting down the cash I'd be fit in person and hit the irons outside on a range. You bring up a good point about shaft flex standardization, or lack there of.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Online fittings in almost every aspect are educated guesses and should be used a tool to assist, but rarely ever taken as a true fitting. You're giving them information that you (not saying you specifically, but more the golfer in general) possibly don't know if it's correct. More often than not, amateur golfers don't know their carry yardages. They take what they see on the course, but don't factor in wind or elevation etc. Those are just a few of the initial troubles online fittings run into, they require extremely accurate data in order to take the first steps. Then the bigger issue we run into is knowing how you respond to weight, EI profiles and other variables. If you're looking to purchase clubs, the best investment you can make before that is to get fit by someone who knows what they are doing AND can tell you WHY you fit into their suggestions. Online fittings are typically shots in the dark that sometimes get lucky.

Back