Once i think i am out, it pulls me back in.

golfdawg

Reaction score
Handicap
This is in regards to trying to switch to a one plane swing from a two plane swing. Last 2 months i have been playing well for the most part with my new CB3s, and was tinkering around and found what i would call a very flat one plane swing was working well with them.

I come to find out from a fitter who tested them with me, two things, KBS 90 are just not stiff enough for me, but also the irons where anywhere from 3-4 degrees too flat as well. After he bent them to what he though would work best after using some tape, i had two of the worst rounds in some time last weekend.

So count me frustrated, but still trying to figure out what's going on, so fast forward to the past weekend, and i am in GG hitting some AP2, Apex, AP1 and so on against my own 6 and 7 irons. I can't seem to get very good contact, i have hit about 25 balls or so, and just not getting very good strikes.

Well i said hell with it, and take a good old school(two plane) swing with a AP2 7 iron, and it was a pure strike, and close to +15 yards more on the simulator. I shook my head, made the same swing 3 or 4 more times, and same results, effortless. Went back through all the clubs i just tried and same results, better strikes, MUCH better numbers, and then took my own 7 iron out and same thing, went from 140-145 that i was getting to closer to 155-160.

I do have another dilemma as well, my driver swing has been tweaked with the help of my instructor and working well the last few rounds, but it's more of a one plane swing as well. Not sure i can do one swing with woods, and then a different swing with irons, my instructor has his work cut out for him.

Was in a charity golf event yesterday up in VT, and first five or six holes i tried out the "Newer" flatter swing, and was not all that effective. Then the rest of the round I went back to the steeper two plane swing, and produced a much greater number of quality shots that helped my team in our best ball format.

Funny this thread would pop up now. After yesterday, I have two distinct swings. I am more upright with the driver, keeping my left arm pinned to my chest (shoulder turn cannot be steep enough for a one plane). I hit 8 fairways, either straight or draw, and not once hit the ball to the right.

I was was not hitting my irons very well and changed to a decidedly different approach, albeit not foreign. I went back to a steeper spine angle, flatter swing (one plane). With this swing I hit a consistent high draw with 9-5I. I typically just aim right of target and ball starts right and ends on line or left.

What confuses me is that all I have studied says flatter with longer clubs, more upright with shorter clubs. I hit each better the opposite way, because I am confident in the shot shapes. So I most definitely have two different swings and will continue to have two different swings.

Back