Review OnCore Vero X1 Golf Ball - THP Review Thread

I also did some follow-up testing after my sterling initial round with the Vero X1 ball. I played 9 holes yesterday and shot an effortless 37, again hitting every fairway but one, and hitting lots of good approach shots right at my target. I wasn't putting extremely well, but still managed 15 putts for the 9 holes. Feel with the Vero X1 remained great and accuracy was superb. I'm REALLY liking this ball!

I also did some follow-up testing after my sterling initial round with the Vero X1 ball. I played 9 holes yesterday and shot an effortless 37, again hitting every fairway but one, and hitting lots of good approach shots right at my target. I wasn't putting extremely well, but still managed 15 putts for the 9 holes. Feel with the Vero X1 remained great and accuracy was superb. I'm REALLY liking this ball!

I'm a fan of the feel, I think it has really improved over what I get from the Elixr. I don't know if this will make sense to anyone, but that Elixr ball at times feels like it's a heavy/more dense ball off the face of my irons. I don't get that feeling from this. This falls more in line with what I get from other "tour" balls.

Oncore also has a loyalty club you can sign up for and you receive perpetual, increasing, discounts based on cumulative purchases. Starts out as "Par" account with paltry 5% but at least you don't lose it.

I can't complain too much here...

2F0A6CD6-1D24-4EA3-8864-D3D93B999368.jpeg

Well hello....

and the one I sent you was even better haha Every now and then my 80 year old body can still get through a golf ball.

I've liked the OnCore balls I've tried and this one seems to perform well from reading the thread. Glad the ball feels "normal" relative to some of the other products they've released.

I think I have a bit of hesitation buying into a ball that's labeled "prototype" or something, as I largely like to play the same ball for a season to remove a variable from my game. But I guess you could get around that pretty easily by buying a few dozen if it worked and revisit the next year.

I've liked the OnCore balls I've tried and this one seems to perform well from reading the thread. Glad the ball feels "normal" relative to some of the other products they've released.

I think I have a bit of hesitation buying into a ball that's labeled "prototype" or something, as I largely like to play the same ball for a season to remove a variable from my game. But I guess you could get around that pretty easily by buying a few dozen if it worked and revisit the next year.

you remember us hitting that Caliber ball with I think f6+ and just how terrible that combination was?

you remember us hitting that Caliber ball with I think f6+ and just how terrible that combination was?
Mentioning the caliber makes me want to vomit.

Mentioning the caliber makes me want to vomit.

makes my ears bleed. No issues with that here. Actually the sound is pretty darn good to me.

That was about the worst combo possible. Though combine the Caliber with some of the hollow body irons out there today... that might be a nightmare.

That was about the worst combo possible. Though combine the Caliber with some of the hollow body irons out there today... that might be a nightmare.

oh it could be so so so so so so bad.

Two 18-hole and three 9-hole rounds now have been played with the OnCore Vero X1 ball, and there is no doubt whatsoever that this ball model is staying in my bag! I have shot 72 - 37 - 78- 33- and 38 with it and I'm hitting more fairways and greens with it than I have in at least 20 years. Feel and control are both great, and distance isn't bad (still short of what I get with the Snell MTB-X, but more than acceptable).

Dude - that’s pretty dang good. The spin gives me a little pause but in a great way

Yeah that was pretty low compared to a lot of others I was hitting. I think my average was in the 2700 range. What I liked is that I was seeing a good jump in ball speed vs the elixr.

How about this one though?

CA6D7A4A-82CD-4757-987A-C50B0EBD7F0A.jpeg

Yeah that was pretty low compared to a lot of others I was hitting. I think my average was in the 2700 range. What I liked is that I was seeing a good jump in ball speed vs the elixr.

How about this one though?

View attachment 8957315
Some would say perfect. I’m the some. I quite liked the elixr and played it for a while so I have hopes for this ball. Excited for the review!

Some would say perfect. I’m the some. I quite liked the elixr and played it for a while so I have hopes for this ball. Excited for the review!

its being tidy'd up right now.

If you remember your days of playing Elixr, is there something about that ball that you would have wanted to see improvement to?

its being tidy'd up right now.

If you remember your days of playing Elixr, is there something about that ball that you would have wanted to see improvement to?
Durability I think. I liked the launch and spin. I also recall it being pretty firm but I may be recalling the wrong ball of theirs.

Durability I think. I liked the launch and spin. I also recall it being pretty firm but I may be recalling the wrong ball of theirs.

I'm with you on the durability part. I know feel is a personal thing, but this one certainly felt better to me. The Elixr at times, esp on pitch shots, almost felt heavy to me and I just felt like I couldn't get any decent spin on it.

I'm with you on the durability part. I know feel is a personal thing, but this one certainly felt better to me. The Elixr at times, esp on pitch shots, almost felt heavy to me and I just felt like I couldn't get any decent spin on it.
Well it might just make it on my list of balls to try! The numbers look good - are those better then your gamer?

Well it might just make it on my list of balls to try! The numbers look good - are those better then your gamer?

that's a somewhat difficult question. I haven't really settled on a full-time ball this season. Mostly just trying to play through some old Z-Star stock that I have. The driver ball speed I was getting with these was more than the Z-Star was giving me. Although, while I do like the feel of these, I still prefer the Z-Star on the greens.

Thursday I will be hitting the links for first time in over a month (Don't ask). I will be taking a sleeve of these balls. Is there anything a relatively short hitter like me should know that hasn't already been discussed? I will also be making a debut with the UiHi 18* which I will more than likely use off a few tees and several fairways. Oh, and not to forget the Cleveland RTX4 which I have absolutely zero concerns.

Thursday I will be hitting the links for first time in over a month (Don't ask). I will be taking a sleeve of these balls. Is there anything a relatively short hitter like me should know that hasn't already been discussed? I will also be making a debut with the UiHi 18* which I will more than likely use off a few tees and several fairways. Oh, and not to forget the Cleveland RTX4 which I have absolutely zero concerns.

I look forward to your thoughts post round.

I am not much of a reviewer but wanted to make a good attempt. I am breaking this into two parts, one off course and another on course. The first to be to focus on the ball itself, the second will be to judge performance from a "hacker's" point of view.
Out of the box...secure packaging inside a sturdy outer cardboard mailer. Shipped via UPS with final delivery by USPS. On time and in perfect condition.

First glance. Ball had sharp, albeit busy, graphics with a nice, simple sight line. Labeled as prototype, limited edition, and stamped exp on the sight line. Bounce test quite lively as compared with other high end, four piece balls.

I had a chance to hit a few balls prior to going to the course from 45 feet chips/pitches into a net. Great sound, somewhat muted but not a dull thud. Felt a little like a balata, soft but still solid. First shot went over the net with my normal swing from that distance. The ball bounced on a 2 x 4 (red/brown treated wood) and left a pronounced dimple pattern on the ball that was difficult to remove. The cover seems a bit soft and mars easily. It could be the paint is a little tacky. All shots seemed to hold their line as much as you could tell from such a short distance.

Tomorrow the real test, but don't expect much from my limited skill level.

Back