Genuine question. How are two drivers different than two wedges if the only thing that will be different are length and loft.
That would be my question/argument too for the one ball rule. I mean there is no rule that says you can't hit a weaker lofted/ shorter driver for when you want to play a high cut. So why shouldn't you be able to play, say, a higher spinning ball when you want a particular approach shot?

At least that takes up one of the club spots though. Removes another club from the bag since there’s a rule for the number of clubs you can carry.
This is true. Is there a limit to how many balls you can carry? That may impact a players decision to carry multiple types.

That would be my question/argument too for the one ball rule. I mean there is no rule that says you can't hit a weaker lofted/ shorter driver for when you want to play a high cut. So why shouldn't you be able to play, say, a higher spinning ball when you want a particular approach shot?
I have always felt the one ball rule helped protect the field and elimante a way to cheat. Since on the first tee of a tournament you have to identify your ball to your playing competitors, and notify when changing balls. If identify that I am playing a Pro V1 with my mark on the first hole. Then on hole 3 I hit a in trouble and find a Callaway. It eliminates me claiming that is my ball. If no one ball rule , I could claim the Callaway was my ball. That I changed to Callaway on the 3 tee. One ball rule eliminates that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Agreed, for the most part. I try to play as much by the rules as possible so I look at those things a little sideways but, in all honesty, if that's how he enjoys the game, it's really one of my business (in non-competition play).

I think we agree 100%. I've seen some crazy stuff playing as a single on muni courses. I could care less what they do. Actually, no, I couldn't. :)

I have always felt the one ball rule helped protect the field and elimante a way to cheat. Since on the first tee of a tournament you have to identify your ball to your playing competitors, and notify when changing balls. If identify that I am playing a Prob V1 with my mark on the first hole. Then on hole 3 I hit a in trouble and find a Callaway. It eliminates me claiming that is my ball. If no one ball rule , I could claim the Callaway was my ball. That I changed to Callaway on the 3 tee. One ball rule eliminates that.

That's a good way to look at it, but keep in mind you're with your pairing all day. If you decide to change balls, why not mae a rule that says you have to tell your group at the time of the change? If you don't it's a penalty.

That's a good way to look at it, but keep in mind you're with your pairing all day. If you decide to change balls, why not mae a rule that says you have to tell your group at the time of the change? If you don't it's a penalty.
They certainly could make a rule like you suggest. It would be interesting to see how many would change balls for different situations. My guess is would be a very small number.

They certainly could make a rule like you suggest. It would be interesting to see how many would change balls for different situations. My guess is would be a very small number.

I agree with this. At the level that this rule is being used, I think they want consistency more than anything. Introducing another variable would be more trouble than it's worth. Also, I can only imagine the time it would take some of them many minutes to finish debating whether to change.

If you decide to change balls, why not mae a rule that says you have to tell your group at the time of the change? If you don't it's a penalty.

Here's what not playing golf for a couple decades will do - I thought that was a rule. My golf coach when I was young taught us do it when we changed, so I always assumed you had to. I guess he just wanted us to avoid any confusion that might result in penalty or DQ?

Here's what not playing golf for a couple decades will do - I thought that was a rule. My golf coach when I was young taught us do it when we changed, so I always assumed you had to. I guess he just wanted us to avoid any confusion that might result in penalty or DQ?

I would think so as well. I mean, I'm sure the Brysons of the world (or is there only one) would change to a different model on every hole, and that would just be (expletive deleted) annoying.

One of the guys I play with will very frequently switch balls on the green, usually because he is too lazy to clean the one that got him there. At least it is the same brand and model (I think!).
I sometimes do that. I don't carry a wet rag with me (I do have one on the cart) so when I get to the green, if my back is very dirty,I might exchange it for the clean one in my pocket. My back up ball is always the same as my tee ball though.

i think changing ball brands and types for purposes of different desired characteristics on different holes and or as weather changes can be viewed similarly to the 14 club rule. You make a managerial decision and once made you cant change it just like whatever clubs were decided upon for that given round. You cant change a wedge mid round to a different one with different bounce or add a given club somewhere in the bag while removing another. I view it as sort of the same thing. Not saying i like it or whether or not i agree but only saying that i can see it as sort of being the same reasoning.

I wonder if it’s to prevent people from having different characteristic balls for different situations. Like a par 3 ball where you don’t have to worry about driver performance. Seems like that would happen, at least on tour.
This si exactly why it is in place. There are cheapo balls I can hit a lot further than my regular ball, but I can't putt or chip with them, so they are not gamed.

Are you swapping between 3 very different balls that you have extensive individual experience with?
Generally it is between two different balls that, yes, I am familiar with enough to adjust to differences between them where needed. Also, the conditions under which I use each also tends to even out performance between the two.

In a friendly game, don't we all kind of make up some rules, everyone I've played with "rolls" the ball in the fairway to a preferred lie or I am not going to play a ball anywhere near a tree root. Changing balls should be no different.

Again, it's NOT a rule. Change your ball as much as you want.

However, in a tournament, the tournament organizers may implement it as a condition of competition.

Back