One Club Between Driver and Irons?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Could you do it? Would you do it? What club would go in that spot?

I did it for a very long time. It used to be a strong 3 wood.

Now I think I would go 4 wood and get a very big forgiving 3 iron.

When I dropped having a 3W+ and a 5W down to just a weaker 3W I noticed I had less mistakes.

I did it for a long time, carrying only a 5-wood before my 4-iron. I recently added a 3-hybrid and a 3-wood and ditched the 5-wood.

3 wood for sure. Perfect for a second hit on a bad driver whack.

I could not do it. I currently have 3W, 5W, 4h between driver and 6-iron. I've played enough with this setup to know I need a club between the 4h and 6i, and I'm debating 5-i vs 5h. It would be easier for me to switch my metals to hybrids than to add more irons.

Currently....a lone 5 wood fills that void for me. because I have a two 4i bag. ;)

I once gamed a single club between my driver and 4-iron so that I could carry an extra wedge. I chose a Titleist 16-degree 4-wood but that experiment didn't last long. Now I have a 3-wood and a hybrid and I can't imagine ever using anything less for that gap.

5w for me. Carry it now and I could go to just that if needed.

I would go with 3H. I have that and a 5W which I hit some but not that often. I wouldn't miss it and could make just a 3H work. When I hit it good and I can get it out there a ways, especially off the tee.

Wait didnt Phil mention a 2 Wood in his interview? Well then..I'm off to Ebay to find one..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

i could totally do it. would probably do a 6w or 7w, maybe built just a little over length.

Yes I do it with a 5 wood.

Researching driving irons but at moment 3 wood.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

I'd go 5 wood for sure. Hit a draw and its a 3 wood, fade and its a 7 wood.

I could do it, I'd just need to tweak the set up slightly. I'd keep my current strong 3 wood and then add some sort of driving iron at 17* or 18* to replace my hybrid. That way I could keep everything essentially the same. I'd just go from 3 wood to an iron instead of 3 wood to hybrid.

4h, like is in my bag currently.

Depending on the course but could get along very well with a 2 hybrid. With size of some of the new hybrids it should work well

In my minimalist golf interest, I would very much consider one club in that area. I think I would go with a utility iron.
wait is a utility iron not considered an iron in this situation?

Yes. I have two 4 irons I game, one being a driving iron for mainly off the tee. Then I slot in a 3w, that I use sparingly. So I actually think I could go straight from irons to driver and not affect my game that much. Looking to try out a hybrid though, to see if I can get more consistancy out of my slot which is currently filled with my 3w.

If hybrids count as irons then yes, I only play one fairway wood and 3-4-5 hybrids. If hybrids do not count as irons then no, I can't hit long irons well enough and need the extra forgiveness of hybrids.

I would go with a 5 wood in that spot. It would fill in nice for me.

Back