One Good Thing (Golf Edition)

BigDill

2023 Morgan Cup - Team Hackers - Cobra Golf
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf is funny game. On one shot you may feel like a pro on tour, and on the next you look like it’s the first time you picked up a club. You may sink a putt from thirty-plus feet, but miss a three footer, all in the same round. Often times I focus on what I could do better, as opposed to what I actually did better. I think I need to think about what I am doing right just as much as I think about what I am trying to improve on. So that’s the point of this thread....

Tell us One Good Thing (OGT) you did during the last round that made you feel happy or that showed you how much you are enjoying the game of golf.

My round on Friday at Streamsong was a blast, despite the fact that I spent more time in the sand than David Hasselhoff. Great people, great course, and great weather. My OGT from that round was a 3H I crushed on hole 10 of the black course, a par 5. I hit my first tee shot OB, so I reloaded and crushed my drive into the middle of the fairway. From there I had about 220 to the pin. I pulled a 7 iron to lay up and take some trouble out of play, but then I decided to grab my Cobra SpeedZone 3H which has been very reliable and let it rip. The green is elevated from the fairway so you can’t see much of it from where I was standing. I hit it dead straight and well struck, and watched it disappear into the horizon and over the hill.

The greens at this course are really firm and fast. I knew it was on line, but I wasn’t sure it was going to stop. I pull up to the green and there it was, about 20’ from the hole. What an awesome feeling that was. I missed the par putt, but saved a bogey. Now I can’t stop thinking about going back and giving it another try. What a great time.

Sounds similar to the "Best shot of the round" thread.

Congrats on the great shot and the decision to go for it.

Sounds similar to the "Best shot of the round" thread.

Congrats on the great shot and the decision to go for it.
Good things could be other than a shot. I just happened to pick that as my example.

Good things could be other than a shot. I just happened to pick that as my example.
That's why I said similar and not exact.

Should be fun.
I can tell you that tomorrow’s round the one good thing will be shake my fathers hand at the end of it.

I taught some beginners the importance of yelling fore when you hit a ball in the direction of other golfers. That is the nice way of saying what I told them after a ball came off #1 tee and landed a yard of two directly in front of me as I am standing in the middle of #9 fairway preparing to hit my 2nd shot.

I played a course north of my home last Thursday called Cary Country Club. I did not have a very good round of golf and the front 9 was especially bad. On the par 5 ninth hole I chipped a ball from off the left side of the green. The ball rolled all the way over to the fringe on the right side of the green leaving me somewhere in the neighborhood of a 45 ft putt. Sank the putt for a bogie 6. Go figure!!! ;)

I got along great with a 9some that we played through. We joked and laughed and as much as I don't approve and could have been a Richard about it, we all got along great and wished each other well on our rounds.

when you get paired up with another player who's new to the course, you get to tell them all the proper shot placements, and they dial them in based on your help.

I do believe that making birdies on 5 consecutive holes qualifies as one good thing. It was one streak.

When I finished today’s round and was packing the clubs in the car, the course manager saw me and came over to chat.

The last time I’d communicated with him I asked if he knew of anyone I could donate my clubs to. I was seriously done with the game.

I’ve since replaced my set and have adopted a different outlook on the game.

The first thing he said when he approached me was “well, you’re smiling”.

Sounds corny as hell, but I’m just happier after playing these days.

Crushing my drive on the 1st tee box with the 12 guys that let me ahead of their group as a single. Figured for sure rolling up to the box cold and not even stretching I would do something embarrassing but instead busted out a 267 yard shot straight up the hill! The old guys were a riot busting out the "golf claps" and cheers, 🤣

Finding out the reason for 1 of the courses raising there rates by about $5 was because they got all new carts with built in GPS monitors.

10th hole, par5. Chipped from about 65 yards out and came within an inch of an eagle Glad for the birdie.

Tee shot on 11 put it right in the woods and had a laugh! I was happy to see I wasn't taking myself too seriously and just having a good time.

I had three birdies last round, which is the most I’ve had in a round (maybe tied, but never more). The score wasn’t great but that was the one thing I’ll remember. Very proud of it.

I found my driver on the back 9 the last round out. All over the place on the front, but I was laying in the middle of the fairway just about each time I pulled my driver on the back. Went from a 46 to a 40. And my goal of under 80 seems very attainable now!

I showed a guy a putting alignment drill after our round. He called me about half hour ago to say thank you. He had been at the course for almost 2 hours practicing putting.

At the end of my last round, I looked at one of the other members of our foursome who is 92 years old and who has been shooting his age for the past 20 years, and I remembered how great this game is.

I have been practicing a new swing to keep away the slices and today it all seemed to click. Only One ball had a little more “power fade” than I’d like. I hope I can continue this progression.

I played in our Seniors group Stableford tournament yesterday. We had a solid foursome with me as the D player. Well none of us had a particularly good day, it felt like every third hole my inner PGA pro would take over. The two in between however... The others were having similar rounds. #7 is a dogleg right par 4, I normally hit a fade and this hole was amenable to it. Got it around the bend and inside my teammates drives. (nice not having to be the first to take my second shot) My partners were L,R, and one was short.
Launched a perfect 8i to four feet from the flag. I barely missed the birdie put but had 2 inches for par. Now if only I could do it 18 times a round instead of 6 or 7.:cautious:

I got to tell my brother "I told you that was too much club."

My one good thing from my last round was that I missed 5 birdie putts. Some might say that is not a good thing, but I have been working on fixing my irons and in the process hitting more greens in regulation. My last round it all seemed to come together and made the round a lot of fun. I know the birdies will drop, but I am really happy I am giving myself chances more often than not.

On my last round I was paired up with another golfer who as it turned out was a a pretty decent guy.

We have very similar games, and attitudes about golf.

We met on the course as strangers, and left as friends

Laughed with my Dad about a couple shots I hit into areas of the course I’ve never been before. And we’ve played dozens of rounds at this track! Got plenty of chances to flex my recovery game. 😆

I've been missing a lot of greens with approach shots lately. At the same time, I've been chipping well and even had a string of 5 out of 6 rounds with a chip-in!

Back