one length for long distance clubs ?

DG_1234

Reaction score
Handicap
Modern 45" to 46" drivers are incredible for distance (and not bad for accuracy). But, I've noticed that the extra length of a driver shaft requires a swing rhythm, tempo, even swing plane that is a bit different from the other clubs within the bag. For rounds where I am on a shorter, more narrow course, I play fairway woods off the tee boxes and then find the transition to the subsequent iron or wedge shot easier (than had I played the tee box shot with a long shafted driver).
So my point of discussion here is how swinging a 45" to 46" driver (no matter how well a player strikes it) may make swinging the rest of the clubs within the bag a little more challenging than if a 43" club was the longest shafted club within the bag. Your thoughts ?

IMO, so many folks "rush" the driver swing, and/or try to take it "wide" and "high" because the mindset is about "power". While wide and high is not a bad thing, us mortals don't have the connection of the arms and torso like the pro's, which allows the driver to drop into position before rotating into the shot. That said, a lot of guys I know hit their 3 wood as far as their driver, and they are single digit players, so play the club that suits your swing. The driver requires more focus on not getting too "lanky" and also timing to allow the club handle to get in front of you in rotation on the down swing IMO.

Back