One Length Irons Thread: Join the Revolution

Random thought: most people are fine choking up on an iron for certain shots, but terrified of long OL irons that are 1/2 -1” shorter than normal. :unsure:

For the longer irons, have folks seen a noticeable impact on left to to right dispersion?
How long of an iron are you thinking?

Was kicking around a 4 iron
The 5 OL utility I have plays pretty similar to like an AeroJet 6i for me. The 3 OL utility I need some more on course data on it, but I feel like on the sim I'm pulling a hybrid when I need distance control/stopping power and pulling the 3i when I need directional control.

The 5 OL utility I have plays pretty similar to like an AeroJet 6i for me. The 3 OL utility I need some more on course data on it, but I feel like on the sim I'm pulling a hybrid when I need distance control/stopping power and pulling the 3i when I need directional control.
I scooped a 3 and 5 hybrid 1 length...they are about 10 yards less then variable length of the same club but that's alright with me in this case.

Ponder engaged….

I scooped a 3 and 5 hybrid 1 length...they are about 10 yards less then variable length of the same club but that's alright with me in this case.
Ya stock swings I typically get about 10 yards less on a OL 5h and 15 less on a OL 3h. I can get a little more out of them when I really need to, but then that goes against the ethos of OL a little bit. At the moment I'm liking the OL utility 5i a little more than a OL 5h but those are pretty interchangeable as being an approach club. OL 3h I've found kinda sits in no man's land where it doesn't go quite high enough to be an ideal approach club like a VL hybrid would, and it doesn't go quite low enough to play as a utility iron.

Ponder engaged….
I think the newest Tec utilities are fantastic and a big improvement over the previous versions, but obviously a little pricier as an experiment. One of the recent GI lines would accomplish a lot of the same things as a trial IMO.

I think the newest Tec utilities are fantastic and a big improvement over the previous versions, but obviously a little pricier as an experiment. One of the recent GI lines would accomplish a lot of the same things as a trial IMO.
Fair and thank you, but the utilities are so pretty 😍

Ill either go darkspeed or try to find a used utility if I decide to give it a go

Fair and thank you, but the utilities are so pretty 😍

Ill either go darkspeed or try to find a used utility if I decide to give it a go
They are pretty and feel even better

So I ended up pulling the trigger on a 3H OL Aerojet hybrid that was on sale and we will see how it goes on Friday. Right now my expectations are pretty low - my main reason for trying this club out is because I literally cannot make solid contact with my current 3H (Calloway 2022 Super Hybrid). I think the club length is messing me up, and switching to something the same length as my 7H which I hit pretty well might do the trick. I know I’ll be sacrificing distance, and it may just be better overall for me to use my 4H until I learn how to hit my 3H, but the price was pretty reasonable and I figured it was worth a shot.

Sub70 is joining the One length revolution!!!

Sub70 is joining the One length revolution!!!

Interesting! Literally yesterday I ordered a 699 V2 7i to test, not knowing that Sub70 is releasing an SL version. Other than the lie, which is a bit more upright in the SL version, the specs seem the same. It strikes me that if I decide to complete the set, I could do so in SL. Hmmmmmm

If miracles really do happen, and I get selected to be in the Morgan Cup this year, I'm thinking I'd go One-Length, which is something I never even considered before. I'm thinking going that way with irons and hybrids, but not too sure about with the wedges. Anyone here done the full on One-Length including wedges?
Snapping this one into the OL thread so that you may be able to take a read through here. (@jdtox suggestion)

To answer your question, yes I've done full OL throughout the entirety of the bag from 4I to my SW. Had absolutely no issues playing any shot and felt confident over any wedge shot in front of me. Ask any other questions you've got in here and I'm sure we'll get you taken care of.

I haven’t gone OL, but I did go to .25” increments so the range is compressed and my short-irons are longer without making mid-/long-irons too long. I am standing taller and hitting it better than ever. 5-iron is -.25”, 6 is std, 7 is +.25”, 8 is +.50”, 9 down is +.75” …

OL irons are still serving me well, but I've recently had an itch for whatever reason to go back to "standard." Committed to playing them in 2024 but beyond that we'll have to see what happens. There are a lot of shiny objects out there :)

Back