One Length Irons Thread: Join the Revolution

OK.

Forged Tec OL, or RAD OL.

I mean, I think I could play off a 190 yard 7i :oops:

OK.

Get your hands on both. Bring them to Cherokee just a short drive. You can hang out in the sim all you want. Might even find a beverage or 2.

Get your hands on both. Bring them to Cherokee just a short drive. You can hang out in the sim all you want. Might even find a beverage or 2.
That’s definitely going to happen at the Showcase in a few weeks. If I hit them even decently well I’m doing it for the year.

But I’m always happy to come have beverages! :ROFLMAO:

That’s definitely going to happen at the Showcase in a few weeks. If I hit them even decently well I’m doing it for the year.

But I’m always happy to come have beverages! :ROFLMAO:
Come on

I’m still kicking around the idea of getting a OL wedge or two, for now I just got 2 new VL wedges that I’ll play around with. I’ve been using OL for just over 2 full seasons and haven’t tried the OL wedges yet so I cannot tell you if it’s a great idea or not. I figure I don’t use my sand/lob wedges for full swings like I do my GW/PW so I think it’s ok but I am curious to try them.
I am like you in that I rarely use my sand or lob wedges for full swings - maybe the 52 once in a while. My thought is GW-5 for OLs, but I might consider making my 52 and 56 a bit longer just so there is not a drastic length differential especially if I go with 7i or 6i length for OLs.

I plan to find someone that will have the Rads in the early part of January so I can at least try them out.

I am like you in that I rarely use my sand or lob wedges for full swings - maybe the 52 once in a while. My thought is GW-5 for OLs, but I might consider making my 52 and 56 a bit longer just so there is not a drastic length differential especially if I go with 7i or 6i length for OLs.

I plan to find someone that will have the Rads in the early part of January so I can at least try them out.
I like the idea and I did almost order my wedges plus .5" but I guess I didn't think it would matter. I probably should have... I've already internally committed to getting fitted for the Rads this year. I've been buying off the rack and they work but I want to dial these in a bit more and feel confident that I have what will work best when my swing is at it's best.

Wish I could get my hands on a set for my upcoming Arizona trip.

Wish I could get my hands on a set for my upcoming Arizona trip.
Where in AZ are you visiting? A bunch of us are playing OL

Where in AZ are you visiting? A bunch of us are playing OL
Will be in gold canyon area mid January thru first if February

OK.

At your HC? Here's a thought from Bryson. Mixed set. He plays Forged Tec from 6i - PW. And the Speedzone (soon to be RadSpeed) for 4i and 5i. His other wedges are all custom made. Oh, and he uses graphite shafts in all his clubs.

OK.

Got Forged tec.. From what I have seen, I think you would be happier there...

Got Forged tec.. From what I have seen, I think you would be happier there...
I played the Forged Tec half the year, and had an Ace with them. ;)

I played the Forged Tec half the year, and had an Ace with them. ;)

I remember... Lucky dog..... It will be like a old friend, but maybe better.

Sim round ready for tomorrow. No drivers, just hybrid through GW and my single wedge.

My 50 and 54 degree sm8 degree wedges might very well be the best clubs in my bag. Will be looking into one length around the 8 iron length also.

Sim round ready for tomorrow. No drivers, just hybrid through GW and my single wedge.
Oh this will be fun.

The way I’ve been hitting driver this would be a good choice.

Now that the craziness is behind us, I can update with how this round went. I shot 77.4 using auto putt playing Kingsbarns Links which is a pretty tough track. Played 6174 yards and using nothing longer than a 4 hybrid and played it through only a GW. So every club used was the same length.

Where I noticed something that is starting to click is the mental side. I never really had a struggle going to One Length clubs, but there is something to be said for many golfers that the further you are away from the green, the less pin hunting you are going as the clubs get longer and harder to hit. With this setup, it really made no difference what I had for my approach shot, I still though the confidence was sky high and I could attack everything, because dammit everything felt like a scoring club.

I caught a flyer, as the kids on the internet call it, where I was 180 out and I was between a 5 and 6 iron, took the 5 and went soft and absolutely nuked one that hit the very back of the green and bounced over. Total distance was 197. Outside of that shot however, everything was as expected. Gaps were in place. Normal swings were rewarded.

I think I am hitting a groove.

Now that the craziness is behind us, I can update with how this round went. I shot 77.4 using auto putt playing Kingsbarns Links which is a pretty tough track. Played 6174 yards and using nothing longer than a 4 hybrid and played it through only a GW. So every club used was the same length.

Where I noticed something that is starting to click is the mental side. I never really had a struggle going to One Length clubs, but there is something to be said for many golfers that the further you are away from the green, the less pin hunting you are going as the clubs get longer and harder to hit. With this setup, it really made no difference what I had for my approach shot, I still though the confidence was sky high and I could attack everything, because dammit everything felt like a scoring club.

I caught a flyer, as the kids on the internet call it, where I was 180 out and I was between a 5 and 6 iron, took the 5 and went soft and absolutely nuked one that hit the very back of the green and bounced over. Total distance was 197. Outside of that shot however, everything was as expected. Gaps were in place. Normal swings were rewarded.

Love the confidence in the "longer" irons. I definitely struggle with confidence in going after pins with those clubs so I love hearing that you feel like you can be more aggressive.

took the 5 and went soft and absolutely nuked one
Swing easy to hit it far! When I was first really learning to hit the ball solid, this older guy (probably the age I am now) at the course kept telling me that. You writing that made me think of it. Happy memories.

I could see that thought process. Like I said in the Golden Ticket thread, with my 919F 8 iron I automatically go pin hunting, it would be great to have the confidence to do that with all the clubs!

Yeah, I just need one little push.
I think you should go OL. Forged Tecs with the Rapid Taper shafts. For Science!

Man. That Tec and MMT combo is one you’ll love. I really enjoyed my time with that setup, just was not OL.
Great I was hoping someone might have known a bit about the setup. Are the MMTs similar to Aerotech Steelfiber?

Great I was hoping someone might have known a bit about the setup. Are the MMTs similar to Aerotech Steelfiber?
So much better imo. So so so much.

Back