One Length Irons Thread: Join the Revolution

You also have a strange bag battle in that you have a set of X-Forged CB & a set of Forged Tec OL battling it out for a spot in your bag.

Can’t wait to see what wins.
I do have a club battle going on, but the Callaway X Forged CBs performed extremely well on Sunday.

Hello Friends,
Ok, I went during lunch to get some numbers on TrackMan on the OL compared to the 2021 Callaway X-Forged CBs. Here are my thoughts from my numbers, once again the short irons launch really high in the air, which is good, and I was still getting really good carry numbers on the OL compared to the X-Forged. I will show numbers on the 5-8-9 iron X-Forged against the OL! Wish I could do more irons, but I just didn't have enough time!
I loved the OL 8-9 iron on the type of launch I was getting, high ball flight, along with the distance!
On the 5iron, I found if I just tried to hit it like a normal 7iron because of the length, the 5iron came out like a piss missile, but making a slight change on moving the ball in front of my stance, I then could get the type of height I wanted!
The biggest problem I find with the OL compared to the X-Forged is the inconsistent yardages I was getting on each shot! And that goes with all the OL clubs I hit today! Normal X-Forged 8iron goes in the high 150s and is consistent throughout the amount of shots I hit along with the spin rate in the 6000s which is what I normally see in an 8iron, but with the OL it would range in the low to high 150s all the way to the high 160s, and that's just a normal swing without trying work the ball. And it got worse with the 5iron, where the X-Forged goes in the mid 180s to the 190s, to the OL going in the 200s and having no spin on it, which is bad I think on hard greens. Where the X-Forged 5iron would have a spin rate in the mid to high 5000s to the OL having a spin rate in the 3000s! Now, I always have to play with new equipment on the course before they get the HuddieJ stamp of approval and put in the bag as the gamer set and I look forward on seeing what the OLs have in store for me tomorrow on the course!

Normal X-Forged 8iron9D20654A-129A-4B36-9F06-47C045A314A8.jpeg

OL 8iron460E1693-03B1-4C27-9B10-0D46BD8E5B2A.jpeg

X-Forged 9iron95AFA1F5-2C4B-4DB0-8064-298855C78D10.jpeg

OL 9iron AD6CD143-CB64-4834-8C99-E9E1994225EF.jpeg

Picked up my Forged Tec this afternoon after waiting 5 weeks. Weather is supposed to turn crappy, but hopefully I can hit them soon. Went with the stock $-Taper shafts. Also bought a 56* OL MIM wedge and a OL Speedzone 4H. Looking forward to trying it all year.

X-Forged 5iron 32B215F9-66AC-4DA6-9E5A-4AB74394F9C0.jpeg

OL 5iron CE0A7AF8-3E7D-475C-AAE6-EBC4A0588BBA.jpeg984D507E-CC89-42F3-B2F1-C9635734E8DF.jpeg4711B7AD-5093-4B1C-9C37-E37C7789E53C.jpeg4AA08E90-74FA-41B8-9B3E-249608C0BC8F.jpeg

Looks like the height is making up for the lack of spin? That's what happened when I played SZ irons for a short time.
I think the biggest problem is the 4-5 OL iron is hitting that low piss missile!

I think the biggest problem is the 4-5 OL iron is hitting that low piss missile!
Take them on the course and see how the long irons do...

not up on all my ball launch parameters, but that seems pretty low spin.
Yes, extremely low for me and pretty low for my liking. But, really can't wait to see how they performance on the course!

Take them on the course and see how the long irons do...
Wonder how they will perform under the 50/25 pressure tomorrow! And you will be the first person I call when I hit a 5iron 210, when it was supposed to go 190!

Yes, extremely low for me and pretty low for my liking. But, really can't wait to see how they performance on the course!
I had issues with trajectory on my 5/6 Radspeed OL when I took them out. Didn’t get many swings on them though. Will continue to see how they perform. Definitely discouraged me from ordering the 4i. At this point, if I can’t get the performance I want, I’m considering a reshaft, to “twolength,” keep 7-GW/SW at 7i length, and reshaft 4-6 at 4i length. I kept my 5h, 3i, and HW variable length. I’ve heard more negative than positive about the OL hybrids so I kept my Rogue 5h. Gaps seem solid.

First time reader, first time poster here. I’ve been playing golf a few times a year for the last 25 years or so (I’m 37) and am bad. I’m athletic and can swing it pretty good, but never put the time into getting better. I decided 2021 is the year! (Basically I realized that participating in things like old man league baseball or pick up basketball were just injuries waiting to happen so...golf.)

I thought it time to replace my 20 year old Molitors and original “Wild Thing” Wilson driver and, after some research, decided to join the revolution with single length clubs. The way I figured, my swing is garbage so I may as well start from scratch. SL, the theory goes, should allow me to work on a single swing which I can then repeat and gain some consistency.

Not being able to justify spending Cobra $, I went with a set of Diamond Tour Golf In1Zone irons, hybrid, and Wood. I did keep a standard length driver. Due to COVID, DTG was out of the matching wedges, so Jason Hiland and the boys dipped into the parts bin over at SMT (an affiliate) and built me a set of wedges to match.

So far, I’ve hit the range twice and gotten in two rounds of 9. I shot a 49 and 55, which are among the best score I’ve ever had. I’m not yet worried about gaps between clubs etc., just focusing on making good contact and not duffing every other shot. I can definitively say, I’ve never hit irons like this before. I’m consistently making solid contact and getting the ball up in the air. In my first range session alone, I was able to find the right ball position to hit em straight. I’m hoping to play 30-40 rounds this year and am excited to see how I progress.

Vive la révolution!

Sim round takes place tomorrow and another chance to put these to the test

Took a vacation day today and went to Golf Galaxy this morning to demo the Cobra stuff. I checked out the One Length RADSPEED irons. They had a full set with Recoil 460 ESX and in hand they look and feel really good. I hit the 5 iron and the 7 iron in the hitting bay. I really liked the 7 iron. The 5 iron was fine, but I generally hit a 5 iron pretty close to my 6 iron length except the 6 iron is high and predictable ball flight and the 5 iron is low and unpredictable. That's a long way of saying I am getting a 5 hybrid and not a 5 iron so not worried about that.

The RADSPEED irons also have a great shape to them. They have very little offset and the head has a very appealing shape. This test definitely made me take a big step toward One Length for the Morgan Cup. I would say they are pretty strong favorites based on how they looked compared to the Forged Tec. I will take all that extra help in a very appealing head shape all day.

I wanted to love the OL. Tried them twice in the past 4 years. The idea and science behind them sound great BUT it’s the long irons that always hinder players. Similar yardages with the 6, 5 and 4 irons and low bullets with little spin. I hate the thought when I read players having to move the ball forward in your stance for the long irons. That goes against the whole theory of the OL. One swing. One stance. One ball position. I will say that it is nice to have a shorter length long iron to hit though.
Best of luck to you guys. If it makes the game easier, why would you not give it a shot.

Took a vacation day today and went to Golf Galaxy this morning to demo the Cobra stuff. I checked out the One Length RADSPEED irons. They had a full set with Recoil 460 ESX and in hand they look and feel really good. I hit the 5 iron and the 7 iron in the hitting bay. I really liked the 7 iron. The 5 iron was fine, but I generally hit a 5 iron pretty close to my 6 iron length except the 6 iron is high and predictable ball flight and the 5 iron is low and unpredictable. That's a long way of saying I am getting a 5 hybrid and not a 5 iron so not worried about that.

The RADSPEED irons also have a great shape to them. They have very little offset and the head has a very appealing shape. This test definitely made me take a big step toward One Length for the Morgan Cup. I would say they are pretty strong favorites based on how they looked compared to the Forged Tec. I will take all that extra help in a very appealing head shape all day.
Your thoughts are almost exactly the same as mine in terms of 5i and 5h. I'm definitely leaning towards the hybrid based on ball flight, but only testing will show!

First time reader, first time poster here. I’ve been playing golf a few times a year for the last 25 years or so (I’m 37) and am bad. I’m athletic and can swing it pretty good, but never put the time into getting better. I decided 2021 is the year! (Basically I realized that participating in things like old man league baseball or pick up basketball were just injuries waiting to happen so...golf.)

I thought it time to replace my 20 year old Molitors and original “Wild Thing” Wilson driver and, after some research, decided to join the revolution with single length clubs. The way I figured, my swing is garbage so I may as
I wanted to love the OL. Tried them twice in the past 4 years. The idea and science behind them sound great BUT it’s the long irons that always hinder players. Similar yardages with the 6, 5 and 4 irons and low bullets with little spin. I hate the thought when I read players having to move the ball forward in your stance for the long irons. That goes against the whole theory of the OL. One swing. One stance. One ball position. I will say that it is nice to have a shorter length long iron to hit though.
Best of luck to you guys. If it makes the game easier, why would you not give it a shot.
I found that with my earlier set of OL. I found some success using a much lighter graphite shaft in the long irons, versus my heavy steel in the shorter. Hoping my newer set won't have the same issues, but I haven't had a chance to get them out yet.

I wanted to love the OL. Tried them twice in the past 4 years. The idea and science behind them sound great BUT it’s the long irons that always hinder players. Similar yardages with the 6, 5 and 4 irons and low bullets with little spin.

Im not sure if you have read through this thread, but I have not seen that at all with the latest set.

Im not sure if you have read through this thread, but I have not seen that at all with the latest set.
Hi JB! No I havent read through all the comments. Sorry. Just describing my trials and ones (not in this thread) that have had the exact same results. I am not putting down the OL. For some they will work. For most though in my research and trials, they have not. Again, I wish everyone the very best. I would use anything to better my game and make it more enjoyable. Maybe these latest editions are the ticket!

@e1iterate Have you tried the OL Forged TEC irons?

Back