One Length Irons Thread: Join the Revolution

In some ways yes. In other ways no. Graphite is available in some pretty heavy weights too. At stock, sure it’s lighter, but aftermarket I would say it’s middle of the road. With that said I have been testing Recoil Dart in 85 and like them quite a bit.

I have a feeling both Shaft up with UST Mamiya and the Morgan Cup with Cobra Golf will be hot tickets this year for THPers for both the equipment and education.

Why do they all come with 65g Stock graphite then??? A 85g Graphite isn't heavy per say but they certainly don't come stock that way.

I went to PGA Superstore in Natick yesterday. They are still taking stuff out of boxes since they just opened last Saturday and they didn't have the Radspeed out yet. They had the heads but no shafts.

Why do they all come with 65g Stock graphite then??? A 85g Graphite isn't heavy per say but they certainly don't come stock that way.

I went to PGA Superstore in Natick yesterday. They are still taking stuff out of boxes since they just opened last Saturday and they didn't have the Radspeed out yet. They had the heads but no shafts.
I am not sure why the RAD stock graphic shafts are light on the stock set. I assume it is to get swing speeds up? The forged tec stock graphite was Catalyst 80 (85g weight) and that is what I have in my OL set. When I look now, you can’t order a graphite “stock” set in Forged Tec but custom order. The Catalyst 80 is a no upcharge (other than the graphite charge) for the RAD irons. I like the shaft, but do think I would get along better with a slightly heavier shaft. I want to try the RAD with Recoil 95 or 110.

I am not sure why the RAD stock graphic shafts are light on the stock set. I assume it is to get swing speeds up? The forged tec stock graphite was Catalyst 80 (85g weight) and that is what I have in my OL set. When I look now, you can’t order a graphite “stock” set in Forged Tec but custom order. The Catalyst 80 is a no upcharge (other than the graphite charge) for the RAD irons. I like the shaft, but do think I would get along better with a slightly heavier shaft. I want to try the RAD with Recoil 95 or 110.
I would guess that the Forged Tec are aimed at better players and the Stock shaft is Catalyst 80's
Most of the regular Irons not aimed at good players come with lighter shafts in graphite stock whether it be Ping, Callaway or Cobra.
Cobra uses recoil 460's and both The Ping and Callaway both had 60g shafts also.

Because currently that is who is buying graphite off the rack. Good news is options exist with every company.

This 85g graphite sounds amazing, but of course JB has me in a custom set now at 1100 bucks. Thanks...JB. o_O
I guess that’s why those THP Experiences are so good 😂

I can still get a used Speezone set custom off of Globalgolf with the 95g recoils for 650ish. RAD's are literally almost double the price the same way.

JB - Did you actually run numbers on a speedzone set? Have you tried a OL speedzone to truly know the difference, or not really at any detailed level like you have the RAD?

I can still get a used Speezone set custom off of Globalgolf with the 95g recoils for 650ish. RAD's are literally almost double the price the same way.

JB - Did you actually run numbers on a speedzone set? Have you tried a OL speedzone to truly know the difference, or not really at any detailed level like you have the RAD?

Of course i did. I try very hard to test every single piece of equipment that hits the market.

Fair enough...I'm new around here didn't mean to offend you. Reading the past threads, it sounds like to you the weight shift in the RADS has definitely been a huge gain over last years model correct? Whether it's worth $600 extra bucks I get is a personal decision but...

Can you give some specifics on how they really felt different to you? Were your gaps way different? Or...

Fair enough...I'm new around here didn't mean to offend you. Reading the past threads, it sounds like to you the weight shift in the RADS has definitely been a huge gain over last years model correct? Whether it's worth $600 extra bucks I get is a personal decision but...

Can you give some specifics on how they really felt different to you? Were your gaps way different? Or...

No offense taken at all. Just here to answer questions and provide feedback :D

Personally I believe the RADSPEED is a substantial increase over the SPEEDZONE as it pertains to One Length irons.
I liked the Speedzone irons, but still had some gapping issues as I got more comfortable with the set. Nothing about the RADSPEED is giving me that.

I think that’s a great idea, and have considered doing similar in my bag. I don’t think I’ll ever go OL on my LW, since I’m usually choked way down on it to begin with around the green.
I could be wrong here, but if you're choking way down anyway, why would the wedge being OL length matter? You would just choke down a little bit more.

@V14_Heels Where do you see that set? Nm I found it.
not bad $699 for speedzones with Recoils.

Last edited:
I could be wrong here, but if you're choking way down anyway, why would the wedge being OL length matter? You would just choke down a little bit more.
Because my hands would be below the grip at that point, lol.

Has anyone here adjusted the lie angle on their single length clubs? I was originally fitted for 2 degrees upright for standard F9's, but ended up going with single length ones. It looks like the lie angles are all progressive, so is still worth it to get them bent to make them more upright?

Has anyone tried standardizing other parts of the bag to minimize even more variables? I already have my 4H, 5-GW, and 56* at 37.25". Thinking about playing my 3W and 5W both at 40" or 41", then driver at 45". That way I'm really only dealing with 3 different lengths in the entire bag. Any experience or comments why I should or shouldn't?
I play all my FWs at 43.25" and irons/wedges at 37.5". I had played my best golf when I left the driver at home, and I loved hitting my 3w/5w from tee or deck. But I thought I could squeak out a bit of improvement by going OL woods, and split the length between them.

As for results, I have absolutely loved it. I have seen improvement with all my woods, more consistency, etc. I don't have much data, since I've been dealing with some injury issues that have caused my swing to come and go. But I have seen plenty of it working to know it's been a good idea and that I will continue with it.

I can give more details if you would like. The short answer is 4 fairways that are the same length, head weight, shaft weight (and therefore SW), varying the loft and shaft model to get launch/distance how I want.

1. I don't. I think it certainly helps there, but I think consistency can help every golfer assuming something is a fit for them. Comfort plays a large role here and despite single length being around nearly as long as variable, some people struggle with the concept because it is not as common.
Hey JB - I just realized I hadn't really asked questiosn about this perspective. Are you saying you wouldn't recommend these at al for a high handicapper? I feel like the one lenghts logically make way more sense for a high handicapper vs. someone who is good and actually understand how to play the variable lengths from various lies. I feel like the learning curve would be much easier for a new player, but I think...you're saying you don't agree with what I just said. I'm curious to why?

Hey JB - I just realized I hadn't really asked questiosn about this perspective. Are you saying you wouldn't recommend these at al for a high handicapper? I feel like the one lenghts logically make way more sense for a high handicapper vs. someone who is good and actually understand how to play the variable lengths from various lies. I feel like the learning curve would be much easier for a new player, but I think...you're saying you don't agree with what I just said. I'm curious to why?

Oh definitely would. I just am not sure that handicap would be criteria for choosing single length. One of the best players in the world is currently using them as are many higher handicappers.

Finally was able to read through all 32 pages, you guys got me thinking of giving this a go again. For reference, I gave it a try a few seasons back with some discounted F7's but never really got along with them (loved the "long" irons, hated the "short"). Since then I have played some combo of OL long irons/hybrids and VL from the 7 on down. It is obvious the technology has come a long way since those F7's so my interest has peaked up again. Being 5'9", I have always loved and gotten along well with the shorter long irons and definitely have had an improvement there since going OL, but I think its time to give the full set the treatment again. Eyeing the XB driver too from Cobra, going to be an expensive bill

I play all my FWs at 43.25" and irons/wedges at 37.5". I had played my best golf when I left the driver at home, and I loved hitting my 3w/5w from tee or deck. But I thought I could squeak out a bit of improvement by going OL woods, and split the length between them.

As for results, I have absolutely loved it. I have seen improvement with all my woods, more consistency, etc. I don't have much data, since I've been dealing with some injury issues that have caused my swing to come and go. But I have seen plenty of it working to know it's been a good idea and that I will continue with it.

I can give more details if you would like. The short answer is 4 fairways that are the same length, head weight, shaft weight (and therefore SW), varying the loft and shaft model to get launch/distance how I want.
This is something considered as well. I definitely was considering wedges all GW length and my FW's all 5 wood length. It seems like this is something you are doing with good results.

I stumbled upon this video last night. It's not a very well subscribed channel, and has very few views, so I thought it was worth sharing. This is some really solid information imo that the guy claims to have gotten directly from the VP of R&D at Cobra. I recommend checking it out.

Cliff Notes:
-One Length Irons accounted for 35% of Cobra's Iron sales last year
Big difference highlighted in the video between Speedzones vs. Rad Speeds
-3D Medallion
-Lower center of gravity in the clubhead
-Thinner back and slimmed the blade to make it a bit more appealing to the eye
-Improved on the powershell face that is supposed to create a little more bounce
-Claims you get 2-3 more yards on RAD speeds
-Sounds like there was much bigger improvements on the hybrid end of things
-Cobra engineers have actually adjusted the lie angle operating off the assumption that players will swing the longer irons harder than the shorter irons. So at this point your almost better off actually swinging them harder?
-Cobra recommends going with one of the stock shaft setups because that is what they engineered around.

I asked a similar shaft question to the VP of R&D at Cobra.

The stock shafts are built to give a little help on both ends of the set. It's not so much that you should avoid a custom shaft that you know works for you already to go with the stock offerings.

What's everyone's thoughts on the Forged tec vs RAD.? The used market for the tecs looks solid for a chance to try out OL without totally breaking the bank

I promise to go OL IF I get fortunate enough to get a spot on one of the two amazing Morgan Cup teams :ROFLMAO:

I promise to go OL IF I get fortunate enough to get a spot on one of the two amazing Morgan Cup teams :ROFLMAO:
I’ll 2nd that motion.

Back