One Length Irons Thread: Join the Revolution

I received my OL Speedzones with the standard KBS shafts. I played a bit with them yesterday and then today again. Hitting into my home net I wanted to provide some of my numbers as a high 30 handicap player to just put out a slightly different perspective.

This is a single session after having played with them a bit. I took about 10-15 shots with each club, and ONLY deleted the realllly intense outliers. Like i'm talking half the yardage cause it was a terrible fat shot or shanked. I kept the rest. For a 30handicap I'm pretty ok with this gapping. Obviously that 5i needs some work. This is CARRY only.

1614463793261.png
Just a couple general thoughts. I definitely liked the single length throughout as a bad iron player. It felt so much better to not have to adjust constantly.

I don't know if it's mental, but man I struggled to hit the 5i well. I had to take a few more shots with that club than any of the others to even get some half way decent data. That one just really stood out to me is being harder to make contact with and I don't totally understand why, but it was significant. I thought it might be the difference in the shaft weight...but then when I looked it up the 6i was exactly the same and I didn't stuggle to hit that one. It's also possible I just got tired. I was approaching 80-90 shots by the time I got to the 5i.

Next time I'll do the same thing in the reverse order.

I received my OL Speedzones with the standard KBS shafts. I played a bit with them yesterday and then today again. Hitting into my home net I wanted to provide some of my numbers as a high 30 handicap player to just put out a slightly different perspective.

This is a single session after having played with them a bit. I took about 10-15 shots with each club, and ONLY deleted the realllly intense outliers. Like i'm talking half the yardage cause it was a terrible fat shot or shanked. I kept the rest. For a 30handicap I'm pretty ok with this gapping. Obviously that 5i needs some work. This is CARRY only.

View attachment 8995517
Just a couple general thoughts. I definitely liked the single length throughout as a bad iron player. It felt so much better to not have to adjust constantly.

I don't know if it's mental, but man I struggled to hit the 5i well. I had to take a few more shots with that club than any of the others to even get some half way decent data. That one just really stood out to me is being harder to make contact with and I don't totally understand why, but it was significant. I thought it might be the difference in the shaft weight...but then when I looked it up the 6i was exactly the same and I didn't stuggle to hit that one. It's also possible I just got tired. I was approaching 80-90 shots by the time I got to the 5i.

Next time I'll do the same thing in the reverse order.
I had the same issue when I first got my Rads on the 5/6i. For a couple of rounds, I hit my 5/6i instead of 5h/HW to get as many swings as possible with them, and I started to get more comfortable. I run into trouble when I try to swing too hard. I could do that with my VL 4/5i and get away with it, but with the OL it just causes terrible swings and results. As long as I relax and swing easy I hit them well.

When I focus on one relaxed, easy, repeatable swing, only changing clubs/lofts for distance, I hit the all of the OL really well.

HuddieJ OL Update!

Played on Tuesday where I shot 69 and played 36 on Thursday where I shot 73-75, both in big money games and once again I loved how the OL's performed under pressure. But, here is my biggest problem that I'm having with the OL's... I just can't control how far I'm making them go and when I have to hit a tweener shot, I'm hitting this push fade with him that cost me 3 shots at least on the second 18 on Thursday. So, for example, on 17 from 184 yards and the wind playing down, I hit 8iron perfect to about 12 feet right of the hole for the greenie! Very next hole from 140 yards and the wind blowing from left to right, I tried to saw off a 9iron and hit another push fade that left me 50+ feet!

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I can't figure out the distances each club will go when you try to take some off each iron. Don't get me wrong, I like them, but I believe they are costing me shots when you're not hitting full shots with them! Right now I got to figure out the tweener distances with them and that's my only complaint with them right now!

I'll be watching updates. I'm most curious how the 5i elevates.whatever goes above the 5i I really just want to go a bit over 200 and stop.
5 iron today first day with it mid to upper 190 carry with a smooth easy swing.

Land soft or run out?
Had some run out. Will get some sim numbers tomorrow possibly. Launch angle descent angle carry and roll out.

Last edited:
I'm looking to upgrade my F9's, as I can't find anyone that will bend the lie angle to 2 degrees upright based on my previous fitting. Would the forged tec's or radspeeds be better for someone who shoots in the 90's? (I will try to get another fitting again)

The only way I'm getting new clubs this year is if I somehow get selected for the I want to be a tour player.... lol. And if I do it'll be the Forged Tec OL irons from 6-GW.

I'm looking to upgrade my F9's, as I can't find anyone that will bend the lie angle to 2 degrees upright based on my previous fitting. Would the forged tec's or radspeeds be better for someone who shoots in the 90's? (I will try to get another fitting again)
Was your fitting for OL irons or variable? Do you find the with single length the lie angle needs adjusting for you?

@JB I was looking at the specs of the RADSPEED OL yesterday. I really like my current T300 6 iron size. It's 37.5" long and lie angle is 62.5*. I am thinking this is around where I want to be for my Cobra set. The RADSPEED standard OL with Cobra Connect are 37.5" so basically perfect. I assumed the lie angle would be the same across the board, but I noticed that is not the case. The standard longer irons are more upright and the scoring irons are more flat. What is Cobra's reasoning there? Chart below for reference

Screenshot_20210228-065622_Chrome.jpg

@JB I was looking at the specs of the RADSPEED OL yesterday. I really like my current T300 6 iron size. It's 37.5" long and lie angle is 62.5*. I am thinking this is around where I want to be for my Cobra set. The RADSPEED standard OL with Cobra Connect are 37.5" so basically perfect. I assumed the lie angle would be the same across the board, but I noticed that is not the case. The standard longer irons are more upright and the scoring irons are more flat. What is Cobra's reasoning there? Chart below for reference

View attachment 8995601

Their studies and testing have shown that no matter the length of the club, people swing a 5 iron differently than they swing a PW. The lie angle change supports that, while still offering the benefits of single length.

Their studies and testing have shown that no matter the length of the club, people swing a 5 iron differently than they swing a PW.
I guess I can see that for the wedges, but the 4-9i? That's surprising.

I guess I can see that for the wedges, but the 4-9i? That's surprising.

Its definitely true for me. I think in general as you get to a higher lofted club, people have a tendency to go into precision mode.

Was your fitting for OL irons or variable? Do you find the with single length the lie angle needs adjusting for you?
I was fitted for variable. I ended up going with f9's because I was really intrigued by the concept. I really enjoy them, but it just seems like I'm pulling them right, which was in line with the adjustments from the upright angle fitting. I haven't been able to find a fitter for one length irons in the Vancouver Canada area unfortunately.

I was thinking of going for the forged ones so that I could adjust lie angles more easily. Most places have declined to adjust my f9's since they are cast.

Cobra sells one length irons with different lie angle options, so it looks like an option that's been OK'd by cobra.

I was fitted for variable. I ended up going with f9's because I was really intrigued by the concept. I really enjoy them, but it just seems like I'm pulling them right, which was in line with the adjustments from the upright angle fitting. I haven't been able to find a fitter for one length irons in the Vancouver Canada area unfortunately.

I was thinking of going for the forged ones so that I could adjust lie angles more easily. Most places have declined to adjust my f9's since they are cast.

Cobra sells one length irons with different lie angle options, so it looks like an option that's been OK'd by cobra.

Yes, bending 2 degrees is not too difficult and I did a set in our Tech Studio just last week.

So doing even more research on the OL RadSpeed and FT Irons has really piqued my interest. I have been on Cobra website for many, many days now. I am just trying to figure out how I am going to justify $1000 plus to the wife as we get ready to buy a 2nd house down in Florida. Need to work on every excuse in the book to pull this one off.....
Do what I do... don't say anything and hope she doesn't notice :sneaky: :LOL:

Yes, bending 2 degrees is not too difficult and I did a set in our Tech Studio just last week.
Cool thanks. Are there any concerns bending lie angle of the one lengths? Seems like they are already progressive by default.

Cool thanks. Are there any concerns bending lie angle of the one lengths? Seems like they are already progressive by default.
Cobra receives their OL heads from production in -2, neutral and +2 lie angles, then bends them for intermediate lies. I have a set on the way that are .+1/2” and 1* upright. If you have any questions, you should just call them. They have been super friendly and helpful with me.

Do what I do... don't say anything and hope she doesn't notice :sneaky: :LOL:

Hahaha I wish. My wife is way too observant and she is home most days, so she sees packages plus Ring Camera. I will get them just have to schmooze a little more.

Hahaha I wish. My wife is way too observant and she is home most days, so she sees packages plus Ring Camera. I will get them just have to schmooze a little more.
deliver to work or to a friend..... :LOL: come on!

deliver to work or to a friend..... :LOL: come on!

Oh I have done that.....work frowns upon me having anything delivered there as I am a rover and I am not in a specific building that often. Believe me it will get done, just biding time to pull the trigger. We haven't started playing outside here yet, probably about another month so I do have a little time.

Oh I have done that.....work frowns upon me having anything delivered there as I am a rover and I am not in a specific building that often. Believe me it will get done, just biding time to pull the trigger. We haven't started playing outside here yet, probably about another month so I do have a little time.
If you're scared.... say you're scared :p

I am more afraid of having to give the 2nd wife money that I can't afford. Happy wife, happy life. Of course this is my 2nd wife. First one fleeced me enough.....

I'll be expecting an invite once the FL house is ready to go.... ;)

Back