One Length Irons Thread: Join the Revolution

A question I have is when it's is windy can you still move the ball back with say a 6 iron to flight the ball down with the OL?
Yes. With a caveat, some irons are obviously easier to flight than others. Meaning an iron like RADspeed designed to launch easier is tougher to flight, but it’s not too difficult

Awesome. Let us know how it goes.

I spent some time on Trackman tonight and my first experience with these clubs was very interesting. As a first year golfer coming from Mavrik Max's, I was perhaps a little intimidated at first - the Forged Tec's are just so much smaller and sexier. I hit about 120 balls in an hour ranging from GW to 4H. What I found was this:
  • The clubs with i95 shafts are gorgeous. Cobra built them to D3 as requested - very nice, compared to Callaway who would never do such a thing.
  • I was worried how GW-9i would feel being longer, based on comments here, but I shouldn't have been. They felt very natural and gave me the nice, higher ball flight that I am looking for. It probably helps that I don't have years of experience telling me that these clubs are "supposed" to feel different.
  • Too soon to say about distances, since I was only swinging about 75%, but they feel pretty hot - at least as hot as the Mavrik's.
  • Gaps seem fine - I'll know more after I get up to my normal swing speed this weekend. The only immediate issue I see is a 40 yard gap between my 54* sand wedge and GW.
  • My dispersion was much improved right away. GW through 7i were really straight for me, 5i and 6i need some work. Next time I'll start with those instead of hitting 100 balls first.
  • Ball flight was higher through 7i than the Mavrik's using the exact same same shafts, etc. Ball flight was about the same for 5i and 6i.
  • Mishits up to 15mm towards the toe still went very straight - they just lost about 15 yards and there was more negative feedback to my hands. I don't consider this a negative, since the feedback will help me learn.
So for anyone who is in SGI irons or considering the SGI one lengths, do yourself a favor and hit these before talking yourself out of them. They are straighter and more predictable out of the box than the Mavrik's I've been using for six months. Bad strikes aren't amplified, as I feared - they just don't go as far and sting the hands a bit, as opposed to my SGI's which make every strike feel great and then generate different results!

Anyway, I am excited to have these and am happy with my decision despite being so new to the sport. Now, I just need to go back and repeat the Strike Plan exercises with them and I'll be golden inside 200!

Does anyone else struggle with their one length hybrid? I can hit my irons pretty consistently, but the one length hybrid is all over the place. I don't think I'm swinging it any differently than my irons. I've been trying to make it better over a year, but haven't made much progress. I really want to keep it in the bag, but it's been a struggle to justify it when I can't rely on it.

Does anyone else struggle with their one length hybrid? I can hit my irons pretty consistently, but the one length hybrid is all over the place. I don't think I'm swinging it any differently than my irons. I've been trying to make it better over a year, but haven't made much progress. I really want to keep it in the bag, but it's been a struggle to justify it when I can't rely on it.

Not me. I love both of mine.....I dont even have a fairway wood anymore.

It is definitely the martini I just finished, but I am close to cancelling my Apex pro order and ordering some Radspeed One Length irons.

sounds like a plan to me

I'm really hyped to get back on the course with my OL set up. OL radspeed 5i came in the other day to add on top of the forged tec set. Whole lot of promising shots, just need to figure out some distances.

sounds like a plan to me

I have time. I need to actually hit a one length 4i and a 9i. If those two do as expected, then I might. Lots of time next week for magic to happen.

I have time. I need to actually hit a one length 4i and a 9i. If those two do as expected, then I might. Lots of time next week for magic to happen.
Do it! OL is the way to go. Love my F7's, although I'm ready for some new shiny ones.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OL on course for first time.
Is such a weird mental step to remind yourself to "hit this like and 8i" every shot. Worked most of the time and led to some of the most consistent flighted irons I've seen in awhile. No problem elevating 6i.

Promising start. Windy, so hard to tell much with distance. Seemed pretty close to VL across the board.
Thanks for sharing.

Saw the rad speeds in person for the first time. I thought the gap and pitching wedge would feel awkward but as a short guy with short arms it felt pretty natural. Unfortunately the 2 shops I went to didn't have the Forged tec which are the ones I'm interested in even tho they're probably more than I can handle.

Saw the rad speeds in person for the first time. I thought the gap and pitching wedge would feel awkward but as a short guy with short arms it felt pretty natural. Unfortunately the 2 shops I went to didn't have the Forged tec which are the ones I'm interested in even tho they're probably more than I can handle.

Yeah, I really like the look of the FT but also haven't had them in hand. The RADSPEEDS do look and feel awesome though. Thought they would feel too chunky but that's not the case.

Can I ask which one you have? I at one point had the F8 OL hybrid, had a good honeymoon phase but quickly went down hill with uncontrollable hooks. Just upgraded a few months back to the Speedzone OL Hybrid and I am seeing a big difference, more yardage and much more accurate. Point being, I think they technology is advancing quickly on these OL offering as Cobra learns more so might be worth trying out a newer one. Could just be a fitting thing as well.

So there were a new set of F8 One Length Demos on sale at GG. Convinced my friend he should try. Now he is curious as the set goes 5-GW. He has a 4hybrid (standard length) and SW/LW (Standard length). Watching Bryson yesterday they mentioned his wedges were the same length as 6/7 iron. Does one adopting One Length have to modify other clubs as well? Specifically with the Hybrid, can you cut off the length to match the OL? TIA

So there were a new set of F8 One Length Demos on sale at GG. Convinced my friend he should try. Now he is curious as the set goes 5-GW. He has a 4hybrid (standard length) and SW/LW (Standard length). Watching Bryson yesterday they mentioned his wedges were the same length as 6/7 iron. Does one adopting One Length have to modify other clubs as well? Specifically with the Hybrid, can you cut off the length to match the OL? TIA

Nobody really has to adopt anything, although I think one length in hybrids to match irons makes a lot of sense.
With that said, no, chopping the length of a standard hybrid is not going to be the same as the OL version. There is a video we posted earlier in the thread that shows the internal differences.

As JB said, you don't have to go full OL in your irons to wedges. I played two years ago with a standard set of wedges, then transitioned last year into full 4-SW. Can say that I played better last year than the year prior, but the difference wasn't THAT noticeable.

I've not had any success with SL or OL hybrids so I'm definitely not the person to ask on that aspect.

As JB said, you don't have to go full OL in your irons to wedges.
I just bought a Mavrik 4h and I have brand new, as of last season, 54° and 58° CBX wedges. If I go RAD OL this season, I'll go either 4-AW or 5-AW. If I go 4-, I'll try playing both the OL 4i and my non-OL Mav 4h and see which serves me better. I have no plans to replace the CBX wedges at all.

I just bought a Mavrik 4h and I have brand new, as of last season, 54° and 58° CBX wedges. If I go RAD OL this season, I'll go either 4-AW or 5-AW. If I go 4-, I'll try playing both the OL 4i and my non-OL Mav 4h and see which serves me better. I have no plans to replace the CBX wedges at all.
Maybe look at the OL utility iron instead of 4i? It would give you some extra adjustability. I went 5i to 7W because I need the higher launch.

The Mav 4h is going to be significantly longer than a Rad 4i, IMO. I kept my Rogue 5h and it gaps nicely on top of my Rad 5i. You should have no issues with the CBX Wedges, you might actually prefer them. And they should gap nicely with the Rad AW at 48. (Rad OL SW is 54).

Can I ask which one you have? I at one point had the F8 OL hybrid, had a good honeymoon phase but quickly went down hill with uncontrollable hooks. Just upgraded a few months back to the Speedzone OL Hybrid and I am seeing a big difference, more yardage and much more accurate. Point being, I think they technology is advancing quickly on these OL offering as Cobra learns more so might be worth trying out a newer one. Could just be a fitting thing as well.
I have the F9 One length, with the stock shaft (Fujikura ATMOS 7 ONE Length). I didn't get fitted for it. The biggest downside of one length is that I haven't found a local shop that can fit for one length. I'm trying to call more places, since I'm planning on upgrading the f9's to the forged tec's this season.

The one length hybrid just feels really awkward to hold and I've never developed the confidence with it, so I probably grip it a bit tighter. Sometimes it connects really well, and it gets incredible loft & is dead straight. I should probably film my swing with it, compared to my regular irons to get a sense of where it's going wrong.

Maybe look at the OL utility iron instead of 4i? It would give you some extra adjustability. I went 5i to 7W because I need the higher launch.
I have a Mav Max 7w in the bag. I snagged the 4h, as an experiment, because I haven't been able to execute with my current 4i and those in the Mavrik FWs and Hybrids thread were praising the Mav hybrids for being easy to hit.

The Mav 4h is going to be significantly longer than a Rad 4i, IMO. I kept my Rogue 5h and it gaps nicely on top of my Rad 5i.
I was originally going to go with a 5h, believing it would gap better between my 5i and 7w. But on-line comments were mixed as to whether a 4i should be replaced with a 4h or 5h, and my guy at CPO insisted a 4h was the correct substitute for a 4i.

If that turns out to be wrong I can always go back for a 5h. Or snag a RAD OL 4h. (Assuming I even go OL. It's far from set in stone I'm going to do that. That's something To Be Decided when I go for a fitting.)

I'm in heavy experimental mode atm. I've purchased a driver, three fairway woods, and a 4h, all w/o having hit them beforehand. All for experimental purposes.

I expect that, by the time all's said and done, by the time I figure out what works for me and what doesn't, and how things gap for me, I'll have two or three clubs that will have fallen out in the selection process.

All of this is atop a swing that's being re-developed essentially from the ground, up :ROFLMAO:

Let's talk wedges. What are some of you who have made the transition doing with your wedges? What are those who are considering this transition thinking about doing with your wedges? I am interested in all thoughts really around this topic. I am not sure I want a 7 iron length wedge, but maybe I do want my wedges to all be the same length?

Let's talk wedges. What are some of you who have made the transition doing with your wedges? What are those who are considering this transition thinking about doing with your wedges? I am interested in all thoughts really around this topic. I am not sure I want a 7 iron length wedge, but maybe I do want my wedges to all be the same length?
GW is OL
56 is OL
62 is variable. It’s not used for any full swings

49* OL set GW

54* VL - primary none full swing club

60* VL

GW is OL
56 is OL
62 is variable. It’s not used for any full swings
Do you chip and pitch with the GW and 56? If so how do they perform? Are you using RADSPEED GW?

Back