One Length Irons Thread: Join the Revolution

That seems to be the biggest complaint along with not being able to elevate long irons.
Several people ditched the gap wedge specifically due to going high and short thus not gapping well.

I'm pretty convinced it's due to a holdover from VL swings. You are conditioned to swing a wedge slower and a long iron faster.

I'm playing the set OL gap wedge without issue. But I do have to mentally remind myself to hit it like a driving 150yard 8i despite being 115 yards out. (My theory is a "wedge" swing with a 7i shaft ends up adding dynamic loft)

(Opposite is true for my 5 and 6 irons. Feels like they elevate better with a slower, more controlled swing than I am conditioned for 175+)
This is a great point and I will have to try and swing the same and see if that changes the ball flight.

Congrats and Welcome to the OL Revolutions!

I took the clubs out for a 5 hole spin this morning. Hit a great 5 iron and an ok 8 iron. One thing I did was use the GW for a 50 yard pitch shot. I thought it was marvelous for this. I hit a nice high shot that landed soft and stayed close. So early returns on using these for actual short game shots is good. The extra length wasn't bothersome and I appreciated the very large head for this shot.

Another One Length note. You only have to learn one swing for full shots, but you also only have to learn one swing for chips. Obviously chipping with a 7 iron is awkward when you generally chip with a PW or GW but once you get a nice little chip swing down with the OL PW and GW it's the same stroke for the 9, 8, 7, ....etc. I already chipped with a 7 and a 9 successfully tonight. I like chipping so I see a lot of creativity ahead for me with this setup.

Another One Length note. You only have to learn one swing for full shots, but you also only have to learn one swing for chips. Obviously chipping with a 7 iron is awkward when you generally chip with a PW or GW but once you get a nice little chip swing down with the OL PW and GW it's the same stroke for the 9, 8, 7, ....etc. I already chipped with a 7 and a 9 successfully tonight. I like chipping so I see a lot of creativity ahead for me with this setup.

It's really nice going to the range and only bringing one iron too! Do you use one length wedges too? (SW/LW)

I just switched away from one length wedges and find my work around the green is much better in a OL 4-GW and variable length 54/58 setup

It's really nice going to the range and only bringing one iron too! Do you use one length wedges too? (SW/LW)

I just switched away from one length wedges and find my work around the green is much better in a OL 4-GW and variable length 54/58 setup
I have VL 50 & 56.

Went for a little 5 hole jaunt this morning. I know it's only been a week but I feel like the adjustment to One Length is really not that difficult. I haven't really had a moment after maybe 5 or 6 hours of hitting balls and puttering around the course where I felt like I could blame an adjustment period. Honestly I thought short game would be a problem area for the length and what I have instead found is I really enjoy chipping with the large headed 48* GW on the end of a longer shaft. Instead of a problem I am considering a RADSPEED OL SW too. I think at 54* I could easily do most of my pitching with that. Use my standard length 56* for everything else.

Anyone have any tips for the utility iron? I've been really struggling with it. I can make pure contact with every other one length iron, but the utility has been really challenging. It's the only one with a graphite shaft (not sure if that's really making a difference though)

Lots of my shots go far too low off the tee and don't really get proper distance

Anyone have any tips for the utility iron? I've been really struggling with it. I can make pure contact with every other one length iron, but the utility has been really challenging. It's the only one with a graphite shaft (not sure if that's really making a difference though)

Lots of my shots go far too low off the tee and don't really get proper distance
No clue but I want to try it.

Maybe try a RADSPEED 4 iron instead of the Utility?

So I have had a couple of rounds with the utility. I feel like I have to swing faster (not harder) to get it elevated. It's been a good club off the tee, about as long as my 3 hybrid, but so so straight. Definitely a fairway finder for me off the tee.

So I have had a couple of rounds with the utility. I feel like I have to swing faster (not harder) to get it elevated. It's been a good club off the tee, about as long as my 3 hybrid, but so so straight. Definitely a fairway finder for me off the tee.
Did you get OL wedges too? I can't remember.

Got my OL RadSpeed 4 hybrid and 5-GW for the MC.
They are absolutely pure on the range, just smoking the 4,7, and 8 iron which are the only irons I hit this week.
Was having a few initial issues with the GW hitting these super high ballooning shots until I started swinging the same as a 7 iron and things started to really click.
Will post some updates tomorrow after my first round with the new clubs!

Did you get OL wedges too? I can't remember.

I have the set GW and the King OL 56* To fill the gap, I have a King 52* in the standard length, which is only about a half inch or so shorter so I still setup the same

First time out with my new Morgan Cup OL RadSpeed Irons. I was hitting these SO GREAT! High and long and held the greens really well. Shot my personal best at my home course from the blues!!!
I have never felt so good standing over iron shots!
I went with graphite for my irons to try something new and I
4 OL Hybrid with 480 ES SmacWrap F4
5-GW with 780 ES SmacWrap F4

!6CE6B145-32C2-4B8F-A2DC-F1CF10401EC4.jpeg
EE10B559-DA66-4C09-8D84-F11C29CA863E.jpeg
9DD14150-2212-4B5B-9085-8178E86380BB.jpeg

4B83FCCF-667E-4894-A3AE-0F66ED29CECF.jpeg

8FDD33DB-D90E-48CD-B89B-2B973A9BC2C0.jpeg
C5202EBE-DF14-4D15-B937-E798F0A0F7F6.jpeg
This is a picture of my first par 3 that I played with my OL irons. 9 iron from 150 and hit the flagstick and almost made a hole-in-one!

Quick update from today. I love the OL. Especially the short game. Hit a little bump and run from 56 yards out today and drained it. Ball clipped the fairway maybe 5' in front of the green one hopped up and rolled to the back and clanked in. Here is a shot from where I was at.20210610_165447.jpg

Quick update from today. I love the OL. Especially the short game. Hit a little bump and run from 56 yards out today and drained it. Ball clipped the fairway maybe 5' in front of the green one hopped up and rolled to the back and clanked in. Here is a shot from where I was at.View attachment 9012485
which OL set/shafts did you go with? Do you also have the OL hybrid?

I decided to give it a try with the Cobra King Speed Zone OL irons with the stock regular graphite shafts. At first I just ordered 8I-GW to see how it worked, and so far, I like it to the point that I ordered the 5I-7I to complete the iron set. Those clubs haven't arrived yet. Distance on the 8I is around 130, the 9I around 115, the PW around 100, and the GW around 85. I haven't verified those distances (haven't played enough rounds), but it seems to be what my GPS is telling me. The 8I is about 5 yards longer than my previous clubs, the 9I is about the same, the PW perhaps 5 yards shorter, and the gap wedge is more or less the same, but the swing for the OL clubs is much easier; I don't have to "go after it." The 15-yard gapping is a bit odd, but looking at the specs on the webpage, it's not necessarily surprising since there is 5 degrees of loft difference between the 8 and 9, 5.5 between the 9 and the PW, and 5.5 between the PW and the GW. I notice the loft differences between the 8 and 7, the 7 and 6, and the 6 and 5 is 4.5, 3.5, and 3 respectively. I'm sure there is a reason for this, but it will be interesting to see the results out on the course.

Played a lot of holes of golf over the last 7 days and wanted to come in and update the thread. Continue to see good gapping throughout the set and at my course, find myself using every iron in the bag as I learn to play it to different numbers, etc. The longer irons have become a real confidence part of the game, but I have not had any issues with the scoring clubs either. I am playing the set through the GW and then move on to a 56 and 62 degree wedge set for around the green and touch shots.

Yesterday I was on the third hole which is a Par 5 that is a tough tee shot, but if you hit it really well with a slight draw, you will have barely over 220 to the pin and only about 200 to clear a small creek in front of the green. You need to hit the drive about 250 in the air to get to the downhill and have it roll down about 30 yards. I hit one that was really good off the tee, but it actually stayed about half way on the hill. Instead of trying a downhill lie hybrid or really muscling a 5 iron, I took the 8 iron to layup to a number and then the GW to about 10 feet. It was two well placed shots that showed off the consistency I am seeing of a set that type that doesn't always have that type of precision and/or expectation.

Another shot that stood out was the par 3 7th that measures 185, but is dead uphill so playable length to the pin was 207 yesterday. I hit a 5 iron that I missed out towards the toe and the ball mark confirmed that. While it flew a tiny bit lower than normal, it landed at 203-205 and despite the low spin miss, only rolled out about 10-12 feet.

Staying in the bag for the season right now and I am enjoying getting out and playing with them.

As posted to my MC team mates last week, I felt like I finally had an Ah-ha moment with the rad speeds. It was a small tweak that I should not have taken on the course mid round, but was a bit frustrated after a few mishits. What I did was slow my tempo down just a bit. It was something I was doing in my fitting and seeing straight shots, so I just mentally tried to go back that.

Fast forward to today. Played a best ball tourney with past MC participant @oumagic , with the swing adjustment from last week, carried over to today. Issues may be more about dialing in distance. I am having issues with the 100 to 125 range. Whatever club I choose I just seem to always nuke it over the green. Example is with the Speedzones 100 yard shot was PW all day long. Today I had a 100 yard shot and hot the PW 125, and did not even try to hit it hard. It's not a bad thing, I just need to get the gapping down better on those shots.

But overall I hit my irons really well today. I had one knuckleball 7i that I pulled my head on, it was a straight low worm burner. Feel like even that shot may be a thing of the past soon.

Before I got my Wishon's I was averaging about 4-5 greens in regulation. I've played 8 rounds with the new clubs. At first, performance dropped to about 2 greens in regulation for the first three rounds, getting used to the clubs and the new distances. But in the last four rounds, I have gotten 7 three times, and 10 in my last outing. My previous best was only six. There are still things I'm getting used to, but I'm feeling really good about accuracy with 9-SW. The others are also improving.

Now, I can't say for certain that this is all attributable to the clubs. Maybe I have also gotten better. I've only been playing for about 8 months, so improvements are still sudden. But at the rate I'm going, I at least have a chance of breaking 80 sometime in the next year.

So some developing thoughts on the One Length experiment. When struck well I really like the results, but I have been inconsistent lately and have noticed some things on misses:
  • With a thin miss, which for me is usually a low fadey ball, they all go the same distance. It's like a 120-130 yard shot with ever club. I guess the clubhead speed is the main generator of ball flight on a bladed shot so that makes sense.
  • I have noticed some quick distance drop off starting at the 9 on a lot of fairly well struck shots as well. The only fix for this for me has been to move my feet closer together to deloft the face on the swing with the higher lofted clubs. So even though they are One Length there still needs to be some focus on set up with the individual clubs.
This is definitely an interesting journey. I think I will learn a lot about the golf swing going through this experiment.

As much as I love the one length, looks like I am leaving the revolution to join a new team. Man, I wish other clubs worked more with one length.

New irons are set to arrive on July 8th.

• I have noticed some quick distance drop off starting at the 9 on a lot of fairly well struck shots as well. The only fix for this for me has been to move my feet closer together to deloft the face on the swing with the higher lofted clubs. So even though they are One Length there still needs to be some focus on set up with the individual clubs.

I definitely read this happening a lot before I switched to OL. It was definitely a concern.
That being said I play down to a OL GW with the same setup for all clubs with pretty close to 10 yard gapping.

Personally what I have found with the PW and GW specifically is if I stand there and try to hit a 130 or 120 yard shot, respectively, they tend to balloon and come up short, sometimes really short.
I have to mentally still put on a swing trying to hit a 160+ yard 7iron. Then they go the 130/120 I'm expecting.

It might be a swing speed thing or setup thing cause other people definitely still have the issue, but I haven't noticed it after adjusting some.

Back