One Length Irons Thread: Join the Revolution

How are the Radspeeds compared to the F9's? I gamed the F7-F8-F9 OL, but left the Speedzones because of the jacked loft worried me(I never actually hit them) and went with Launcher HB Turbos for the amazing forgiveness which I'm still loving at the moment.

So some developing thoughts on the One Length experiment. When struck well I really like the results, but I have been inconsistent lately and have noticed some things on misses:
  • With a thin miss, which for me is usually a low fadey ball, they all go the same distance. It's like a 120-130 yard shot with ever club. I guess the clubhead speed is the main generator of ball flight on a bladed shot so that makes sense.
  • I have noticed some quick distance drop off starting at the 9 on a lot of fairly well struck shots as well. The only fix for this for me has been to move my feet closer together to deloft the face on the swing with the higher lofted clubs. So even though they are One Length there still needs to be some focus on set up with the individual clubs.
This is definitely an interesting journey. I think I will learn a lot about the golf swing going through this experiment.
I've had to be very careful not to let the ball creep even a little bit forward in my setup to avoid the miss-hit, normally thin. I pulled a PW the other day for a 110yd shot, I had been hitting a little short all day, and ended up setting up correctly the ball landed at about 120 and went over the green. It was out of the fairway so not a flyer. I'm not sure if that is helpful in your case but it may be to someone.

So some developing thoughts on the One Length experiment. When struck well I really like the results, but I have been inconsistent lately and have noticed some things on misses:
  • With a thin miss, which for me is usually a low fadey ball, they all go the same distance. It's like a 120-130 yard shot with ever club. I guess the clubhead speed is the main generator of ball flight on a bladed shot so that makes sense.
  • I have noticed some quick distance drop off starting at the 9 on a lot of fairly well struck shots as well. The only fix for this for me has been to move my feet closer together to deloft the face on the swing with the higher lofted clubs. So even though they are One Length there still needs to be some focus on set up with the individual clubs.
This is definitely an interesting journey. I think I will learn a lot about the golf swing going through this experiment.

This is pretty interesting to me because I have not seen this at all. Can you elaborate a bit on the distance drop off on well struck shots? Meaning you are not hitting as far as you are used to or the consistency of distances is all over the place?

This is pretty interesting to me because I have not seen this at all. Can you elaborate a bit on the distance drop off on well struck shots? Meaning you are not hitting as far as you are used to or the consistency of distances is all over the place?
They are being propelled upward really high instead of out as much as I am accustomed to is why they are well struck. I get the nice snap feedback it's the launch is really high. I am figuring it out though, just an adjustment.

They are being propelled upward really high instead of out as much as I am accustomed to is why they are well struck. I get the nice snap feedback it's the launch is really high. I am figuring it out though, just an adjustment.

I'd be really curious if you get a chance to get some data.
Having seen you play you were a pretty low launcher of the golf ball, but I know you mentioned taking lessons and revamping the swing since that time. At your speed, high should lead to more distance, especially coming from the irons you were previously. If they are coming up short, and its not a contact issue, I am wondering if something is really wrong fit wise.

I'd be really curious if you get a chance to get some data.
Having seen you play you were a pretty low launcher of the golf ball, but I know you mentioned taking lessons and revamping the swing since that time. At your speed, high should lead to more distance, especially coming from the irons you were previously. If they are coming up short, and its not a contact issue, I am wondering if something is really wrong fit wise.
I went to check the lofts and lies and they were all close to specs. Also hit some on the launch monitor while that was going on. I had a 47* PW in my last setup. That was my 100 yard club. I guess I was expecting the 48* GW to be similar given it's extra shaft length, but I am only able to hit it like 80ish yards?

Of course all of this is happening as I went with graphite and lower weight on all clubs from my previous models and I took a few lessons that have made some pretty major changes in my swing. I am kind of just a mess right now. I have spent all week grinding through on the course and I feel like I might be close on having a swing I can play with instead of think about the whole round. Just getting there slowly.

Also going throw a re-org at work and getting a promotion where I will go from managing a team of 3 including myself to a team of 7 including me and life has gone from fairly easy during the pandemic back to being a full blown calendar filled every day with stuff again. So you know life is happening too LOL!

Can't get over how consistent I've been since putting the OL in.

Got in a quick 9 and "hit" 6/7 approaches with OL clubs. Pins were tucked so two were just off but within 15 feet still putting.
Used 5i, 7i, 8i, PW, GW out of those 6.

Now if I could only putt. 🤔

mid-short irons were the worst part of my game last year at the morgan cup and up until about 6 months ago. I could spoil a 300 yard center-cut drive better than anyone.

they are now arguably the best part of my game. Not sure this is purely due to the move to OL but it's at least part of it.

Started my One Length Iron experiment 2 months ago. Purchased a used set of Cobra SZ One Length Irons 5-gw (UST Recoil ESX 460 F3 shafts) online for $500.00. When I received them they were brand new, still in the plastic. I took them to Austad's Golf n Lincoln Nebraska and had them dialed in for correct lie angles with a retrofitting.

I have now played 32 rounds with these irons and they will stay in my bag permanently. Distance increase of 1 club and higher trajectory has improved my ball striking proven by my the increase in number of Greens in Regulation from 10.8 to 12.5. My confidence has grown and my consistency in scoring is exciting. One caveat is that I removed the Cobra One Length 6&5 irons and put back in my standard length Callaway Mavrik 6&5. I lost too much distance with the One Length 6&5. Also, I had to add a King Cobra One Length 56 degree wedge. I had it bent to 54 degrees so I could hit it 115 yds. All my One Length irons are for fairway only. I carry a 58 degree standard length lob wedge for bunkers and green side play. I just shot my age this week, 69...hit 15 greens, 6 birdies.

Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 9.11.53 AM.png

Last edited:
Have several rounds under my belt now with the Rad OL’s, and am really starting to get comfortable with them. I’m very pleased with the results and happy I made the switch. No regrets at all. Starting to get some Arccos data too. Hitting 50% of GIR with my 7i, and 66% with my 8i. The “misses” are usually close enough to putt from the fringe, or a short chip away. I am using the complete set from 5-SW, and use PW, GW, and SW (1* strong) on full swing shots down to about 40-50 yards where I drop to my 56. I find one nice, easy, repeatable swing across all clubs works really well, when I try to swing too hard is when I have issues. Should have my King OL 56 here in about 2 weeks. I’m interested to see what kind of results I’ll have with it compared to my VL MD4.

I have played like 10 rounds now with my OL RadSpeed irons. I have found my gapping to be more consistent than ever before with about 12-15 yards between clubs.
I would say my swing speed is moderate with my 9 iron going 150-155 yards with a full swing.

the irons definitely launch the ball up in the air more than my old irons and it is very noticeable with the longer irons. This aspect has been really good for me since it has allowed a lot more GIR on harder summer greens

I recently bought a set of very lightly used Rad Speed OL irons, set to stock specs, and have one round under my belt. They feel good compared to the F9’s I tried a couple of years ago, but not quite as good as the Sterlings with graphite shafts I owned before that. I can tell that at 37.5” the lengths are too long for me. In comparison, the Sterlings were 36.75”, but were weighted for 8-iron, not 7-iron. I’m gonna trim these down to 37” and keep the same swingweight at D1/D2, then check lie angles. I found myself choking down on these about 1/2”, and yes they do have Arrcos, which I have no need for. I bought this set in the hopes that my iron play returns to the level it was at with the Sterlings, which was point and shoot. I did have a couple outstanding shots late in the round with these, so I’m looking forward to getting them fit to me. As I’ve aged, I’ve realized that coupled with lack of play/practice, my game has suffered dramatically. My plan is to take out as many swing variables as possible and to go to more forgiving clubs. The Ping G425 Max woods are next on my radar.

1st round with mine today, 1st round in almost 6 full months. Although only 9 holes, I’m taking a liking to them. Just that the SW feels lighter than I’m used to. Mine have the Recoil 95s in reg flex. The 4 and 5 iron are a tad lower flight than the others but that’s fine by me. Seems the less effort ya use, the better these fly. The good shots were good and the bad ones were tolerable misses for easy up and downs., if only the putter would’ve cooperated. Had fun just being out on the course again was the main thing. Hit ‘em well players!

I used the F9 One Lengths 5-W for a little over a year. More than anything they helped me groove my swing. I really enjoyed them, had no gapping issues at all. My only "knock" on them was that the ball flight was not what i needed. I live in AL and the greens are usually hard and dry so stopping is tough. I just wanted higher ball flight. The OL's are strong lofted so that was a challenge. I recently went away from them and back to more traditional lofts which is about a 6 or 7 degree difference. It has worked much better for me now. If i lived up north I would still be playing them.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I used the F9 One Lengths 5-W for a little over a year. More than anything they helped me groove my swing. I really enjoyed them, had no gapping issues at all. My only "knock" on them was that the ball flight was not what i needed. I live in AL and the greens are usually hard and dry so stopping is tough. I just wanted higher ball flight. The OL's are strong lofted so that was a challenge. I recently went away from them and back to more traditional lofts which is about a 6 or 7 degree difference. It has worked much better for me now. If i lived up north I would still be playing them.

if you ever get the chance, you should check out the Radspeed OL. I get a really steep decent angle that holds greens really well. A lot higher ballflight than my old GI J15 Bridgestone irons

Hi All -- new to the THP forums (a long time reader though!) and would love your insights.

I recently bought the Radspeed OL 3 hybrid and a 4 utility iron from Cobra -- hoping to dial up my consistency but for some reason cannot seem to hit them well at all. It's either snap hook city or the ball barely gets off the ground and goes as far as my 8 iron. I've also put the ball towards the center of my stance based on some of your insights. My swing speed is not terribly fast (90-100 mph) so that may be the culprit?

Am wondering if any of you guys have had similar experiences -- any insights would be greatly appreciated!!

For now I've gone back to the regular length 3H and 4H and for some reason they've gotten more consistent after my temporary foray into one length... LOL

Hi All -- new to the THP forums (a long time reader though!) and would love your insights.

I recently bought the Radspeed OL 3 hybrid and a 4 utility iron from Cobra -- hoping to dial up my consistency but for some reason cannot seem to hit them well at all. It's either snap hook city or the ball barely gets off the ground and goes as far as my 8 iron. I've also put the ball towards the center of my stance based on some of your insights. My swing speed is not terribly fast (90-100 mph) so that may be the culprit?

Am wondering if any of you guys have had similar experiences -- any insights would be greatly appreciated!!

For now I've gone back to the regular length 3H and 4H and for some reason they've gotten more consistent after my temporary foray into one length... LOL
I had a similar experience with the OL 3 hybrid. Always low bullets with the occasional snap hook. Just got a OL utility iron and love it. Night and day difference for me personally. The utility I got is 4 degrees weaker but goes just as far as the 3 hybrid I had but with much higher flight. One change I made, I went from a stiff shaft in the hybrid to a reg flex shaft in the utility. Ny swing speed is about 95 with driver.

For those used for 10 or more rounds on a scale 1-10 how sold overall are you on these? Considering new irons next year and would have to find a set pretty traditional in look. I love my current wedges so that will be hardest clubs to switch most likely. Another issue is my last three iron fittings have put me 3/4 to an inch long and not sure if that will carry over?

For those used for 10 or more rounds on a scale 1-10 how sold overall are you on these? Considering new irons next year and would have to find a set pretty traditional in look. I love my current wedges so that will be hardest clubs to switch most likely. Another issue is my last three iron fittings have put me 3/4 to an inch long and not sure if that will carry over?
10. No regrets at all.

Hard to not say 10, I've never hit irons better than the 6 months I've played OL.

I'm planning to put back a VL KFT back in play to see if it translates back. That'll be the real test.

I am a solid 10 on the OL Radspeed irons and hybrid. I would suggest to anyone thinking about them is get fit or, if like me, you don't have the chance, to pick out a iron in your current set that you hit consistently well and match the specs. When I ordered mine I had them built to my 919 Forged 8 iron length and 2° flat to match the lie angle and I am just so comfortable with these all the way throughout the bag. I also knew I liked the Recoil shafts in my Mizuno's so I went with the same in the Radspeed but did step down from a F4(stiff) to a F3(Reg) flex for days when I'm feeling my age. 😎

Thanks all definitely considering anyone got any negativity on these?

Thanks all definitely considering anyone got any negativity on these?
The only negative is trying to remember, same position, same swing! I'm still messing up on that sometimes! 😛

8 out of 10 for me. I had them for about a year and a half. The ball flight was lower than I prefer in the "long" irons. I wasn't fit, just got a stock stiff set off ebay to try out. If I decide to go back to them in the future I'd get fit. I'm only 5'3 so I think I'd benefit from them being cut down from the factory. I also found the KBS shafts stiff even for a stiff. I went back to some Ping Eye 2s just for the high ball flight and I'm back to a straight/baby draw high flight instead of the lower baby fades. Just personal preference.

I love the OL forged Tec rons. I would say 9 out of 10. My 4 and 5 iron trajectory is a little lower than I want but that is my only issue. They go a little farther left than I want, but that might be the shaft or swing issues.

Back