One Length Irons Thread: Join the Revolution

Like others I'm still tinkering a bit with the top of the set. I recently purchased a SkyTrak which adds to my ability to tinker with things. With the Forged Tecs, I had some steady declines in height but not really any gapping issues until I got to the 7i-6i gap. I have $-Taper (non-Lite) shafts in 5-GW so I got a 5 and 6 iron of the Radspeed with $-Taper Lite and that helped gapping but trajectory was still just ok. It looks like in the stock set there is a slightly different version of the $-Taper Lite shafts in the 4-9 vs the PW & GW and that seems to match my experience. The descent angle on SkyTrak is pretty good from ~9i through GW then starts to be more of a drop off after that. I swapped the $-Taper Lite from the Radspeed 6i into the FT 6 iron and the trajectory was better and gapping was good, so I'm thinking I'll swap to the Lite version shaft in the 7, 8, and maybe 9 as well.

The SZ OL 3 hybrid continues to be my favorite club in the bag. I've hit so many good long par 3 shots with it and it feels like a secret 15th club chipper around the greens. I've never really considered playing beyond a 3 or 4 hybrid before, but I went ahead and picked up an OL 4 and 5 hybrid to try out based on how well I hit the OL 3h. I don't have quite the right shafts yet but based just on hitting a few on SkyTrak I might be able to go 7i-5h-4h-3h or 7i-6i-4/5h-3h at the top. Part of the appeal of OL was to have shorter length long irons, so it would be pretty funny to end up going only up to 7i and then hybrids after that.

I have sold my Cobra RadSpeed OL...they just weren't for me. Back to the drawing board.

That sucks. I love mine so much, that i almost can’t comprehend them not fitting others.

I hope you find something that works, unfortunately you will not be part of the revolution!

Decided to retire the OL Utility iron for now & swap it for the Rad Speed OL 3 hybrid. I think the utility iron was too much club for a 20 handicap :LOL:

I think I'm with you on this as well. I had bought mine to see if it could knock my 3 hybrid out of the bag, and so far, it just hasn't been up to the task.

I think I'm with you on this as well. I had bought mine to see if it could knock my 3 hybrid out of the bag, and so far, it just hasn't been up to the task.
I'll report back when it arrives. My 4h is now my favourite club in the bag, so I'm expecting good things with the radspeed 3 H!

I'll report back when it arrives. My 4h is now my favourite club in the bag, so I'm expecting good things with the radspeed 3 H!
I'm the opposite lol. I replaced my Speedzone OL 3H with the OL Utility and get much better results. I hit the Utility higher and farther and with it being 2.5° weaker in loft.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Got out for a quick 9 last night and shot 1 over. Pretty happy with that result, hitting 5 greens in reg but what I really like was the fact that my misses were all hole high. I'm kind of amazed at how quickly I got used to these irons.

Question. Are most of Cobra's OL clubs bought as the result of a fitting or bought off the rack so to speak?

Question. Are most of Cobra's OL clubs bought as the result of a fitting or bought off the rack so to speak?
Probably similar ratio to all clubs, with a heavy side towards off the rack

I started from being a groove with these last night. I am absolutely pounding the 7 iron of this set. I still hit the lower lofted clubs really high, but I am thinking this may be due more to RADSPEED head design than the OL setup. The weight really gets under the ball with the heads. If you need help with launch they have it in abundance.

Off the rack for me. Jumped in feet first. Next set will be fit.

Loving these clubs. The radspeeds are silly easy to hit. Played at a executive course tonight for a quick 9 and hit nothing but irons and shot 1 over with 6 GIRs. One blow up hole. 6 pars, a double and a birdie. Putting wasn't bad but I still only holed one putt over 2 feet. The irons are so much fun to hit.

My GIRs are up almost 30% since I got these which I almost can't believe. I use shot scope to try my rounds and that's what it's showing. I'm afraid the honeymoon will end soon but until it does, I'll just keep enjoying these irons.

I is pretty awesome this thread is going strong.
So what is the number of converts?

It has begun. I am starting to find my groove with my setup. The last 3 times I have pulled my GW I have found the middle of the green. I am hitting every iron in this set well and with the improvement in contact I have picked up basically a full club of distance on my T200 setup that I played previously. I am even hitting the 5 & 6 10 yards further than the T300 with similar lofts in my last mixed set. I really need to get out for a full 18 and see what I can do because I have played about 20 holes this week and hit some of the best iron shots of my year so far.

Gotta give @baylrballa a shout out because his sage advice to remember these should all be swung with the same swing has been a key thought. I can't think "swing this like a 7 iron", but I have developed a back and thru tempo and extension in both directions that is the same for each club. I know it's a stupid difference, but it makes sense in my head and his advice really helped me realize that I was kind of still swinging a GW like a GW.

I turned 40 this year and though physically I feel fine, it’s been one of the worst golfing years I’ve ever had. Just minutes ago I purchased a new One Length SpeedZone set from Cobra after several months of playing SpeedZone variable length clubs. It’s unusual for me to switch equipment mid-season but I’m just looking for consistency with my long irons. Anything longer than a 7 iron is chunk city for me. I’ve enjoyed reading the stories on this board and looking forward to getting back out on the course when my set arrives.

8 out of 10 for me. I had them for about a year and a half. The ball flight was lower than I prefer in the "long" irons. I wasn't fit, just got a stock stiff set off ebay to try out. If I decide to go back to them in the future I'd get fit. I'm only 5'3 so I think I'd benefit from them being cut down from the factory. I also found the KBS shafts stiff even for a stiff. I went back to some Ping Eye 2s just for the high ball flight and I'm back to a straight/baby draw high flight instead of the lower baby fades. Just personal preference.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I see you’re from Millbrook. I live in Montgomery and am about to give OL a shot. This season has been terribly inconsistent for me.

So, I think I've made it pretty clear that I'm enjoying these new irons. I had a pretty rough round on Saturday where I was really hitting a lot of draws/hooks and I thought the honeymoon phase had finally ended.

Then tonight I go out for 18 holes and proceed to hit 15 greens in regulation, not missing a single one on the back nine. Shot a 73 which betters my score on Saturday by 17 shots! I couldn't believe the difference.

A simple set up change and I was hitting towering shots that normally moved less than 2 yards in the air to the left.

These things are so forgiving that I'm not tempted (for now) to get another set which for me is truly a change. Counting the Radspeeds I've had 6 different sets in the last year. And I live in Wisconsin which means I didn't golf outdoors for 5 of those months. T100S, G710s, P770s, P790s (the blacked out version), JPX921 Forgeds and now these. This is the first time I haven't been thinking about the next set this long and it's kind of freaking me out, but I'm really having fun again. Now I gotta work on my putting...

I see you’re from Millbrook. I live in Montgomery and am about to give OL a shot. This season has been terribly inconsistent for me.

Actually i live in Wetumpka now. Where do you usually play? I play all over. I liked the OL but I think I would benefit from the Forged Tec OL. The wider soles give me trouble. Ever since I switched to my old Ping Eye 2s I've been playing much better.

Actually i live in Wetumpka now. Where do you usually play? I play all over. I liked the OL but I think I would benefit from the Forged Tec OL. The wider soles give me trouble. Ever since I switched to my old Ping Eye 2s I've been playing much better.

I regularly play Aroostook and Cottonwood. For a quick 9, Gateway is where I like to take my 5 year old. I love The Legislature at RTJ in Prattville. Senator is OK and I’ve never played The Judge.

I regularly play Aroostook and Cottonwood. For a quick 9, Gateway is where I like to take my 5 year old. I love The Legislature at RTJ in Prattville. Senator is OK and I’ve never played The Judge.

That's funny, I live about 10 minutes from Aroostook and usually play there. Used to play Cottonwood but it has gone downhill for the money they charge. I love RTJ in Prattville, Judge can be tough. Emerald Mountain isn't far from me either and that's OK. Pines in Millbrook has gotten a lot better the past few years as well. I have a 5 and a 3 year old and usually take one with me. They're not really into it yet so it's a little awkward but it's all good.

That's funny, I live about 10 minutes from Aroostook and usually play there. Used to play Cottonwood but it has gone downhill for the money they charge. I love RTJ in Prattville, Judge can be tough. Emerald Mountain isn't far from me either and that's OK. Pines in Millbrook has gotten a lot better the past few years as well. I have a 5 and a 3 year old and usually take one with me. They're not really into it yet so it's a little awkward but it's all good.

Cottonwood has gone downhill, the clubhouse is in bad shape, and the course is muddy even a week after it rains. If you can catch it dry though it’s ok. My son takes lessons there and they know him so he doesn’t get charged to play a round with me. It’s gotten him into the game so it’s a nice trade off. Heard good things about the Pines. I try to hit up RTJ’s twilight rates when I’m off on weekends. I work at Hyundai and we’ve been working a lot lately.

Only just found this thread, but sign me up to the revolution.

My old irons are a set of Adams Idea OS and are 16 years old. Graphite shafted which I hit miles too high and was losing distance, so a new set with steel shafts was desperately needed.

I had my iron fitting last weekend and had already tried the One Lengths previously, so am a big fan of the concept and the feel of them.

After hitting several different VL models on the monitor I couldn't get away from the OL Radspeeds. They're just a joy to hit and the ball absolutely flies off the face. The 5i is just so much easier to hit than in VL, and I had no issues when hitting the 9i with a longer shaft. You just have to tell your brain to ignore the head/loft and just hit your regular shot.

I then tried the 4H and was blown away. Well, only after the first shot when I couldn't stop my brain from screaming "It's a hybrid! hybrid!!!" on my downswing and I thinned it! After that it was love at first hit. So much so that I added the 3H to my order (5i is 22°, so the 19° 3H fits the gapping better than the 4H).

I was getting a good 20 yards extra distance compared to my old irons. The stronger lofts naturally helped with that but I was striking them much better and flighting them lower and more efficiently, but still with an acceptable descent angle and spin rate.

I got fit for the Nippon Tour Modus 105 stiff shaft, so went with that through the entire set (hybrid aside which stayed at the stock UST Recoil 480 in stiff). I couldn't feel any difference between the 90g and the 105g shafts but he said if I have lessons and improve my swing speed the extra weight will help. I was told that Cobra will adjust the head weights during the custom build to make sure that all the swing weights are correct for each club based on my shaft. They usually do this by decreasing the shaft weights as you go up the set.

I haven't gotten them out on the range/course yet, as I have another 3 weeks to wait for delivery, but I can't imagine being anything other than delighted with them based on how I hit them in the fitting. Literally the best and consistent I've hit anything in ages. The fitter even mentioned how consistent I was hitting them for my handicap (around 20. I've not played regularly for a few years). The OL concept surely helps with that, which is exactly what I wanted.

Can't wait for them to arrive now so I can get out there. I refuse to play with my old irons now!

Last edited:
Cottonwood has gone downhill, the clubhouse is in bad shape, and the course is muddy even a week after it rains. If you can catch it dry though it’s ok. My son takes lessons there and they know him so he doesn’t get charged to play a round with me. It’s gotten him into the game so it’s a nice trade off. Heard good things about the Pines. I try to hit up RTJ’s twilight rates when I’m off on weekends. I work at Hyundai and we’ve been working a lot lately.

Whenever you go to Aroostook hit me up if you're looking for someone to play with. I usually bring my 5 year old or I go with my dad. I usually play during the week, once in a while on the weekends.

Whenever you go to Aroostook hit me up if you're looking for someone to play with. I usually bring my 5 year old or I go with my dad. I usually play during the week, once in a while on the weekends.
Absolutely. My work schedule is pretty much 6 days a week through August so I’m trying to squeeze in my rounds on Sunday mornings this month. I’ll hit you up and we’ll get in 18 at Aroostook one weekend.

Back