One Length Irons Thread: Join the Revolution

One Length has been an adjustment for me. I have documented all of my observations here, but aside from just not ever getting along with the Gap Wedge and switching it out I have largely come into a very comfortable spot with these clubs. My strokes gained approach compared to a 14 Handicap (where Arccoss thinks I should be) is now +2.3.

I know part of this is the RADSPEED heads which are just forgiveness beasts, but the 1 swing every club part has helped out too. I almost always get between 80% and 100% of my distance on every iron in my bag. That is a big step up from the inconsistency I had before these where tops were quite common. I feel very comfortable heading into The Morgan cup that I if I am in a playable spot off the tee I can get the ball into the hole and the OL setup is a big part of that. I can't wait to get out to the desert and put these bad boys through their paces.

I feel the same as @DataDude about my RadSpeed OL irons.
These irons immediately raised the floor for all of my approach shots since I set up the same way each time.
I have had no issues with any of the clubs and am super confident inside of like 175 yards.
The forgiveness of these irons are definitely a game changer with minor mishits losing no more than like 5 yards.

Ugh. Just spoke to my fitter as it's 7 weeks since I ordered the Radspeed OLs and he's been told by Cobra that they won't have any Modus 3 Tour 105 shafts until mid October, though I'm apparently first on the list as soon as they get them in. I'd checked the US site as well and they don't have any either.

They offered to switch me to a KBS Tour 90 which I also hit in the fitting, but I said I'll stick with what I can remember felt best. Plus the ball flights will be slightly different any way.

Sucks as that's the summer gone before I get them to play. Trust me to order them at the worst time possible :rolleyes::D

I'll get my OLs and join the revolution one day :confused:

Is there any word on ETA for new irons to replace the forged tecs yet? Seems like they have been out for quite a while & are due for a replacement

I have a chance to get some Speedzone OL irons at a very good price. My question is are Radspeed a significant improvement?
I'm still hesitant about the length of the 9/PW/Gap, but I'm thinking of giving it a go. I'm presently playing a set of 2016 Forged Tec (variable) and I like them both in terms of performance and looks. That said, I am looking to build a second bag and I can play anything if it improves my score.
Thanks...

I have a chance to get some Speedzone OL irons at a very good price. My question is are Radspeed a significant improvement?
I'm still hesitant about the length of the 9/PW/Gap, but I'm thinking of giving it a go. I'm presently playing a set of 2016 Forged Tec (variable) and I like them both in terms of performance and looks. That said, I am looking to build a second bag and I can play anything if it improves my score.
Thanks...
I think the Radspeeds are a solid improvement. Not as much change as previous years, where it was massive however. But between the sole and weight, they definitely made some changes.

Thanks...
I can't speak for the Speedzone OL but, I have found the Radspeed 9/PW/GW to offer a very consistent and accurate flight that gaps well all the way.

Lowest I’ve ever been. Been loving every round.

Attachments

• 21AEF8A4-E723-446A-AFF1-B9FDE844A720.jpeg
    21AEF8A4-E723-446A-AFF1-B9FDE844A720.jpeg
    64.8 KB · Views: 11
I think the Radspeeds are a solid improvement. Not as much change as previous years, where it was massive however. But between the sole and weight, they definitely made some changes.
@tucsoncacti
@Payton333
He (and watching him play) was the one who sold me on OL. He has had the Speedzones and now the Rads. My impression is that the Rad is a solid improvement, but that the Speedzone is a great club. I absolutely love my Rads.

edit: sorry quoted wrong post. Tucsoncacti was who I was referring to. I don’t think you can go wrong with the Speedzones

@tucsoncacti
@Payton333
He (and watching him play) was the one who sold me on OL. He has had the Speedzones and now the Rads. My impression is that the Rad is a solid improvement, but that the Speedzone is a great club. I absolutely love my Rads.

edit: sorry quoted wrong post. Tucsoncacti was who I was referring to. I don’t think you can go wrong with the Speedzones
RadSpeed OL is definitely my favorite irons I have ever had!
Only bad thing is that I no longer have the ability to blame my irons for a poor mid iron shot

these are going to get a workout this weekend after not getting a full round in with them for about 6 weeks or so. :oops:

I confess to complete ignorance as to the one length concept.
Are lofts and loft gaps altered as well to compensate for the uniform length?
Are the lower numbered irons hard to get into the air with the shorter lengths?
Are the wedges as accurate with the longer lengths?

Single length may be an experiment worth exploring,
but in my particular case, it may be an answer to a question that I never asked.

I confess to complete ignorance as to the one length concept.
Are lofts and loft gaps altered as well to compensate for the uniform length?
Are the lower numbered irons hard to get into the air with the shorter lengths?
Are the wedges as accurate with the longer lengths?

Single length may be an experiment worth exploring,
but in my particular case, it may be an answer to a question that I never asked.
There are a ton of detailed posts in here around gapping. Give the thread a once over and all of that will be answered for sure.

There are a ton of detailed posts in here around gapping. Give the thread a once over and all of that will be answered for sure.
Thanks.

Still loving my set of radspeeds. 75% GIR for this mornings 18. My iron play has been so consistent for the last 3 months since getting these in the bag. I thought I would struggle more with the PW and GW but those have been some of the strongest clubs in the set for me.

A question for those that have gamed these regularly. Do you ever grip down for shorter pitch shots like 40-50 yards? Or any other shots for that matter. Or do you just guage with less of a back swing?

I grip down on both pitches and chips as well as other shots. If I don't need a clubs full distance for example I might grip down about an inch but still take a full swing.

A question for those that have gamed these regularly. Do you ever grip down for shorter pitch shots like 40-50 yards? Or any other shots for that matter. Or do you just guage with less of a back swing?
Of course. Just like any clubs, I play these exactly the same way. I do prefer ball position manipulation however

I grip down on both pitches and chips as well as other shots. If I don't need a clubs full distance for example I might grip down about an inch but still take a full swing.
Cheers. Makes sense.

Of course. Just like any clubs, I play these exactly the same way. I do prefer ball position manipulation however
Ball position is definitely something I'll play around with when I get mine.

5-GW/SW I usually use the same grip and use minor swing strength adjustments based on lie, and use loft to account for distance. with the Snakebite wedge i adjust grip and swing around the green and on close shots.

If it's a shot I'd grip down on a VL iron, I'll grip down on the OL iron.

Howdy all. Please forgive the long post. But I’m considering an experiment of sorts and I would hugely appreciate the OL Revolutionaries input. And frankly I need it.

I’ve been gaming what would be considered by most a ludicrous amount of hybrids for quite a while now. I have Cobra F9s 4-7 Hybrids. I’ll let you do the math on the color scheme of the 6,7 Hybrids. My 8-PW are also hybrids. Some X9s that are based on TM R9 Rescues. However unconventional, I play well with them all. I’m a 14 hcp golfer. So not great but solid.

I recently picked up some Cleveland XL Halo FW Woods. 3 and 5. These have the Project X Cypher Shafts in them. Love the clubs. Love the shafts too. So on a whim I picked up 7 Cypher 50 5.0 shafts. .370 so they will fit all my hybrids and I’m reshafting all of them 4-PW. You probably see where I’m going with this.

They are all uncut 41 inches so the sky is the limit of lengths. I am currently playing my set at standard length. So the Cobra 7 hybrid is 37.5. I can’t help but wonder how these would game as a OL set. At least from 7-PW. Maybe 6-PW. I’m not a long hitter so cutting down the 4-6 below standard length may be a stretch. I can’t afford to lose any club head speed/distance on those clubs.

I’ll throw up the loft and lies on the clubs below and some pics so you have an idea of what I’m working with. I have built the 8-PW. 4-7 tomorrow prob. Nothing cut to length yet as you can see. I’m not against counter balancing the shafts ect to get to a D0 swing weight. Open to suggestions on how to make this work or if it’s even a good idea. Thanks for any input!

061AB4E1-05E8-423A-BE17-86C3BC3948D6.jpeg1F1D050D-CEBA-46E5-818F-907D8E826C18.jpegE5438556-B5FF-40B3-9B10-A7EC09575353.jpeg697E6542-14D3-4287-8D63-B6BF1CE84F7C.jpegD5C8D02C-F13D-4167-8948-18FFC62737E1.jpegC4444079-707C-4B8B-9038-31A9627C9670.jpeg

Howdy all. Please forgive the long post. But I’m considering an experiment of sorts and I would hugely appreciate the OL Revolutionaries input. And frankly I need it.

I’ve been gaming what would be considered by most a ludicrous amount of hybrids for quite a while now. I have Cobra F9s 4-7 Hybrids. I’ll let you do the math on the color scheme of the 6,7 Hybrids. My 8-PW are also hybrids. Some X9s that are based on TM R9 Rescues. However unconventional, I play well with them all. I’m a 14 hcp golfer. So not great but solid.

I recently picked up some Cleveland XL Halo FW Woods. 3 and 5. These have the Project X Cypher Shafts in them. Love the clubs. Love the shafts too. So on a whim I picked up 7 Cypher 50 5.0 shafts. .370 so they will fit all my hybrids and I’m reshafting all of them 4-PW. You probably see where I’m going with this.

They are all uncut 41 inches so the sky is the limit of lengths. I am currently playing my set at standard length. So the Cobra 7 hybrid is 37.5. I can’t help but wonder how these would game as a OL set. At least from 7-PW. Maybe 6-PW. I’m not a long hitter so cutting down the 4-6 below standard length may be a stretch. I can’t afford to lose any club head speed/distance on those clubs.

I’ll throw up the loft and lies on the clubs below and some pics so you have an idea of what I’m working with. I have built the 8-PW. 4-7 tomorrow prob. Nothing cut to length yet as you can see. I’m not against counter balancing the shafts ect to get to a D0 swing weight. Open to suggestions on how to make this work or if it’s even a good idea. Thanks for any input!

View attachment 9030553View attachment 9030546View attachment 9030552View attachment 9030555View attachment 9030551View attachment 9030554
Without adding some significant amount of weight to the heads you are going to lose some distance and gapping will be off. We have video where Mike Yagley shows off the internals of the OL vs VL irons and the construction is quite different. In my testing of doing it with some hybrids, the amount of weight was substantial to get close.

Back