One Length Irons Thread: Join the Revolution

Anyone happen to have a Cobra Speedzone OL 4 iron you don’t use?

What's the verdict from the other OL Morgan Cuppers?
@Turtlerancher @zoveracker @tucsoncacti
Definitely sticking with OL! I have shutdown golfing for the year with my shoulder injury and work being so hectic but, I can't wait until next spring to get out when healthy and play these to their potential. Will ponder getting them reshafted with F4 Recoil 95s this winter and have a set of MCC +4s already to go on them. :)

So I think I will be moving on from the One Length experiment. It's definitely like a high school breakup. It's not One Length, it's me. I enjoyed playing the clubs this year, but I just really like standard length irons and this year despite putting the ball better I never got my handicap to where it was last year (14.5). I played my Titleist T200 set with a T300 6 iron last weekend and felt so much more in control of the ball with my irons. The head size, being closer to the ball when I'm closer to the hole, etc all contributed to me just feeling more comfortable. I played a shamble so I was not able to really track the difference in scoring but I will make some updates as I go over the next couple of weeks.

One thing I did pick up from OL RADSPEED heads was distance. I hit them maybe 1/2 a club longer than the same T200's over time. That's especially true of the scoring clubs like the 8, 9 etc. Unfortunately this cramped my gapping a bit. However if you struggle with a drop off of yards in those clubs and too big of gaps I think the OL could be a big help.

At the end of the day however this is just personal preference. I liked OL, but I love VL so that's where my heart will be moving forward. I am super excited to try the new stuff Cobra will drop soon however.

Just got my bag loaded up for a few holes this week before travel begins and wanted to pop in here and say that it is continuing for me and I don't see a reason for it to change as of yet. I enjoy the path of one iron swing and the consistency it has offered me.

I am not saying never, but I don’t see myself playing anything other than one length in the future. If anything, I may add some one length (wedges). There are a few things I would like to try with OL if I do get another set: a tad shorter and heavier graphite shafts.

I will not be changing my OL Morgan Cup iron except for putting slightly heavier graphite shafts in when I find a good deal.
I also think I figured out a winning formula by making both of my wedges standard SW length instead of OL and my 3/7 woods the length of a 5 wood.
Everything just improves(most of the time) my chances of a good shot

Just got my bag loaded up for a few holes this week before travel begins and wanted to pop in here and say that it is continuing for me and I don't see a reason for it to change as of yet. I enjoy the path of one iron swing and the consistency it has offered me.

I was impressed with your iron play at Lost Dunes. You seemed to hit the distances you were trying to hit. It was fun to watch and to me at least, didn't seem to show any distance control issues.

This was my favorite threat to read last year. Glad to see it bumped again.

I am not saying never, but I don’t see myself playing anything other than one length in the future. If anything, I may add some one length (wedges). There are a few things I would like to try with OL if I do get another set: a tad shorter and heavier graphite shafts.

I played the best irons of my life this year with OL.

Giving the PTx Pros a full go over the next months, hoping some of that consistency transfers over.

I am also planning to stick with one length going into next year. Will be happy to stick with the Forged Tecs if next years offerings don't catch my eye. Might change shafts depending on how the winter speed training goes. I'd like to get a one length hybrid back in the bag instead of a 7W if I can find a better fitting combo, and I'd like to try some of the other one length options in the SW as I've been tempted to go back to a standard length PM grind.

Anyone happen to have a Cobra Speedzone OL 4 iron you don’t use?
I don’t, but I just posted some cool alternatives(a one length hybrid and a one length utility, both Cobra) on marketplace. Check it out and let me know

Yay! Finally picked up my OL Radspeeds today.

I ended up switching from Modus 105s to KBS Tour 90s in the end, after I was told that Nippon couldn't supply any Modus shafts until Feb next year! Glad I did too as I was told when I picked them up that Cobra have ceased all sales of Radspeeds in Europe until further notice because they need all the heads they can for the US.

Took them straight onto the range and they were just as reliable to hit as they were in the fitting. A lot straighter than my old clubs, and still getting better distances.

One thing I did notice though, was how high pitched and clicky they sounded. They also felt a bit harder, which I don't recall feeling or hearing in the fitting? Will have to wait until I take them to the course to confirm that.

PXL_20211127_171316180.jpg

Down goes another one. Gonna have to switch the shafts from something other than this $ taper. Hit it clean to 6 ft...

I will not be changing my OL Morgan Cup iron except for putting slightly heavier graphite shafts in when I find a good deal.
I also think I figured out a winning formula by making both of my wedges standard SW length instead of OL and my 3/7 woods the length of a 5 wood.
Everything just improves(most of the time) my chances of a good shot
Check out Paderson Kinetix OL shafts

I’ve been playing Cobra Speedzones for a few months, and the only improvement I’ve really seen is ball striking with my longer irons. I’m having trouble with some of the lie angles on the Cobras. Other brands have a consistent lie angle across the set. So those of you that have played Cobra, Edel, 1 iron, or any other brand, what has been the easiest to play in your opinion? Im planning on getting fit for whatever Cobra is releasing in 2022, and staying with One Length, but I’m open to other brands and wondering if one lie angle across the set will benefit me.

Last edited:
I’ve been playing Cobra Sleedzones for a few months, and the only improvement I’ve really seen is ball striking with my longer irons. I’m having trouble with some of the lie angles on the Cobras. Other brands have a consistent lie angle across the set. So those of you that have played Cobra, Edel, 1 iron, or any other brand, what has been the easiest to play in your opinion? Im planning on getting fit for whatever Cobra is releasing in 2022, and staying with One Length, but I’m open to other brands and wondering if one lie angle across the set will benefit me.
Hi! This is a good question. I currently play Edel SLS-01 irons and my response is based on my experience with this set. If you are planning on getting fit, this question is a great thing to take to that session and really get custom fit for your body/swing/needs. Take a look at my signature below to see my full set up as that will add context to my response as well.

My set has the same lie angles 3-7, while my 8, 9 and P have varying lie angles set to my needs. My wedges are all 64*. I really cannot stress how important it is to go to a proper fitter that will give you the time and attention you need to get this done right the first time. After you get fit, I also recommend being patient with yourself and the set and taking detailed field notes when you notice that something is off due to the lie angle. This will help you really dial it in over the first few months with your set. I have been playing OL for two years now and it took me 6 months of some experimentation after I got fit with the Edels to really figure out the lie angles for my game. Hope this is helpful. Good luck!

I’ve been playing Cobra Sleedzones for a few months, and the only improvement I’ve really seen is ball striking with my longer irons. I’m having trouble with some of the lie angles on the Cobras. Other brands have a consistent lie angle across the set. So those of you that have played Cobra, Edel, 1 iron, or any other brand, what has been the easiest to play in your opinion? Im planning on getting fit for whatever Cobra is releasing in 2022, and staying with One Length, but I’m open to other brands and wondering if one lie angle across the set will benefit me.
Pretty sure first few iterations of cobra OL were the same lie angle throughout. As they studied it the inverted gradation of lie angles was found to be easier/more natural for most throughout set.

Hi! This is a good question. I currently play Edel SLS-01 irons and my response is based on my experience with this set. If you are planning on getting fit, this question is a great thing to take to that session and really get custom fit for your body/swing/needs. Take a look at my signature below to see my full set up as that will add context to my response as well.

My set has the same lie angles 3-7, while my 8, 9 and P have varying lie angles set to my needs. My wedges are all 64*. I really cannot stress how important it is to go to a proper fitter that will give you the time and attention you need to get this done right the first time. After you get fit, I also recommend being patient with yourself and the set and taking detailed field notes when you notice that something is off due to the lie angle. This will help you really dial it in over the first few months with your set. I have been playing OL for two years now and it took me 6 months of some experimentation after I got fit with the Edels to really figure out the lie angles for my game. Hope this is helpful. Good luck!

This is a fantastic response. I’ve attempted to get fit twice. The first time the fitter wanted nothing to do with OL irons. The second fitter basically gave me two shaft options, both were stock. I’m struggling to find a fitter, aside from going to Club Champion, that is knowledgeable in my area. I’m at the point that if I give up on OL, it’s simply because I can’t get fit.

This is a fantastic response. I’ve attempted to get fit twice. The first time the fitter wanted nothing to do with OL irons. The second fitter basically gave me two shaft options, both were stock. I’m struggling to find a fitter, aside from going to Club Champion, that is knowledgeable in my area. I’m at the point that if I give up on OL, it’s simply because I can’t get fit.
Club champion is solid - is there a reason you haven’t gone there? What part of the US do you live in? I am sure @JB or someone else can help you find a good fitter. Don’t give up man! This is all a part of the journey and will make it that much sweeter when you’ve found the right set up.

Fitting for OL is not an easy thing to do in all honesty. Where most fitters work with an iron or two, these being the same length makes it a bit more challenging. Is there a struggle with the specific shafts that are offered or just working to find something that fits you best?

Fitting was the hardest part for me. On my next set of one length, I think I have a better plan. Most fitters like Club Champion or True Spec fit with a 6 iron. I think I was fine picking out an iron head and shaft with that iron. Then once I get the set, go back for a lie/loft fitting with the same fitter.

I don’t know that I am getting a new set anytime soon. My plan is to get fit for a driver in 2022 and ask the fitter then about a loft/lie fitting and to adjust my current set.

Fitting for OL is not an easy thing to do in all honesty. Where most fitters work with an iron or two, these being the same length makes it a bit more challenging. Is there a struggle with the specific shafts that are offered or just working to find something that fits you best?

I didn’t fit well with the KBS Tour 90. The graphite is what I play but I prefer something in the 105-110 gram range. I can play the graphites just fine, but the lie angles on the short irons are giving me issues. I hit a lot of balls off the toe. I hit them straight, but it affects distance. My setup across the set feels wonderful, which is why I want to stick with it. My scores stayed the same honestly. I just feel like with a few tweaks with shaft and lie angle, I’d really start to show improvement. I’m hitting it straighter than ever, even with a shaft not fit for me.

Back