One Length Irons Thread: Join the Revolution

Read that Bryson used a set of Cobra One Length MiM Tour irons at the Match in Vegas a few weeks ago. Could these be the next Cobra OL release?

I think there would have been more this year if not for the gorgeous copper irons.

The mental hurdle is not nearly as big as i feared. And not difficult to go back to VL, especially in mid and short irons.

Hoping to see some copper OLs some day 🤩🤤

Do one length irons increase bag chatter?

Do one length irons increase bag chatter?
Yes! Annoyed the crap out of me on my first round out with them. I have iron covers but took them off before the round. I shall be keeping them on from now on I think.

II'm not sure the 1/2" height changes make any difference in bag chatter unless you're in a 4way top or something.

Update

When I started playing the Cobra SpeedZone OL clubs in mid May, my handicap index was 12.4. At the end of posting season on November 30, my index was 8.6. I had always struggled with consistent iron play, and with OL irons that has largely ceased being a problem. I find the 8-GW extremely easy to hit, the 7I moderately easy to hit, and the 5/6I a little less consistent. I've found the shorter my backswing, the better I hit the clubs without any loss of distance. That's probably mental, but there you go. It took some getting used to in order to hit the hybrids, but they are consistent and really good for low-running punch shots out of the trees. The gapping is a bit odd, but I've more or less gotten used to it. I'm sticking with it! Distances based on 50-60 degree temperatures. I probably get 5-10 more yards when it's very hot outside.

3H - ~185
4H - ~175
5I - ~160
6I - ~150
7I - ~140-145
8I - ~130
9I - ~115 (every once in a while I nuke one around 130)
PW - ~100
GW - ~85

So… LOVE my Radspeed OL irons. And was considering trading them on the new LTD irons. But i think I’m going to keep them and order a set of the new Forged Tec OL on preorder day in March/ April. Any thoughts on playing a mixed set? Maybe 5/6i in RAD and the rest in FT? Just spitballing here. Will do a custom set 5-G to match my Rads. And see where everything falls.

Only barrier I see would be a massive price hike. Over 1400, I’m on the fence. Over 1500, I’m probably out.

Edit: just gave the old lady the “I’m ordering a $1400 set of irons in March and will pick up extra shifts to cover it” warning. Lmao.

Last edited:
So I think it’s pretty well known at this point we’ll see new Forged Tec OL’s this spring, but will there be a Radspeed replacement? Looking to upgrade my Speedzones and get a fitting at Club Champion this time around.

Having only been playing golf shortly over 2 years now, I still think OLs make perfect sense. I have never been able to wrap the reasoning behind different length irons. I wanted so bad to try them, but financially I am not investing any more in the iron journey. If I ran across some at a super bargain then I might give them a whirl. If we ever have a demo day or something around here I would definitely go and swing the heck out of the OLs.

I would like to see someone constantly swing the same club from their variable length set such as a 6 or 7 iron and then someone hands them the same length OL moving through the rest of the OL clubs without the person knowing they are OLs and see how that affects their mental aspect and ball striking data.

Went out this morning to play 9 holes with my son and I've really struggled recently with the OL's. So much so that I've leaned toward returning to variable length irons next year. Today though, it all came together. I was 100% GIR on 9 holes with wedge shots and found myself adapting better to unfavorable lies and out of the rough. My biggest flaw today was putting and one hole where I hit my drive OB. It's been around 6 months since I started playing with OL irons, but today sealed the deal for me going forward.

Will be interesting to follow. Do you think that it will feel as comfortable when you get out on the course vs the sim? Specifically those 50-60 wedge shots?

I've tried some OL clubs multiple times. Last year I hit half a bucket with a OL 4 iron and I couldn't hit it for anything, couldn't elevate the ball, always felt like contact was bad, etc. My 4i is a weapon typically and I couldn't have that at all and the wedges are a big concern for me personally as well.

The 4i in the Radspeed set is 19 degrees loft. That's the loft of an old 2i. Perhaps that's the problem. I remember 2i's were pretty difficult to hit off the deck.

The 5i in the Radspeed set is 21 degrees. I have an older set - The F9s. My 5i is 23.5 degrees and I have no problem hitting that. I bought a Utility Iron that's 21 degrees to use off some tees, but I've found I'm more of a hybrid player. My lowest lofted hybrid is 21 degrees - 4H. The 3H is 19 degrees and is a bit too much club for me. I need a FW at those lofts.

I've been playing the F9s since they came out. I bought the 5i - SW set because that's what my old BioCell set was. I don't see me replacing this set anytime soon no matter what they come out with. My clubs are +1", 1 degree upright. I went with standard length hybrids. I have the SZ 5H and 4H. Ironically, the 5H is only 1/4" longer than the irons so you can say it's the same length except a lighter swing weight.

Where this set has issues is in the same place every GI set has issues - on the wedge end. The loft of the GW is about the same as that of a traditional PW - 49 degrees except with weighting tech and a lively face for more distance. So what does it blend with? Does it blend with a Cleveland CBX 2 52 wedge? No. The 52 wedge will fly the same distance as the 49 degree set GW. No, this blends with the muscle back RTX 4 50 degree wedge.

But Cobra makes the One Length Snake Bite wedges in 56 and 60. I have the 56. It's got a nice cutaway on the back so you can open it up flat. If I put the set SW back in the bag for my 70 - 90 yd shots, I could use this for everything 70 yds and in and go 100% OL on my irons. It's something to think about.

@JB as the OP in this thread, I'm interested, are you going to continue your journey with the OL this upcoming season? From someone who has access to so many brands in testing I'm curious if the OL stays in the bag or if you'll go a to a traditional VL set this season either out of boredom or curiosity for new offerings on the horizon.

I'm curious because I remember you saying that your set is closer to an 8i length (which I prefer MUCH more than the standard 7i length). That factor, alone, is the only thing that even piques my curiosity with the OL set. There was a time when OL was an automatic nope for me. Your approach has me at least listening. Thanks in advance for your input.

@JB as the OP in this thread, I'm interested, are you going to continue your journey with the OL this upcoming season? From someone who has access to so many brands in testing I'm curious if the OL stays in the bag or if you'll go a to a traditional VL set this season either out of boredom or curiosity for new offerings on the horizon.

I'm curious because I remember you saying that your set is closer to an 8i length (which I prefer MUCH more than the standard 7i length). That factor, alone, is the only thing that even piques my curiosity with the OL set. There was a time when OL was an automatic nope for me. Your approach has me at least listening. Thanks in advance for your input.
I am. A couple of pages ago I have a wrap up and next stage post that will probably sum it up for you

I have owned the F7 one length irons for several years now. Are the new Radspeed irons that much better? Might be looking to upgrade this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have owned the F7 one length irons for several years now. Are the new Radspeed irons that much better? Might be looking to upgrade this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To me yes and it is not close.
They launch better, throughout the set, which was an issue many had with the F7.

Put on some new ferrules to celebrate a successful season!0BEB5E96-176D-4251-ABD3-A5BA20D34A9D.jpeg

Hope Cobra announces new forged one length clubs soon. Feels like they are overdue at this point.

Hope Cobra announces new forged one length clubs soon. Feels like they are overdue at this point.

Has to be coming soon. JB mentioned in this thread that he is trying them out but hasn't revealed any details. This is from this article:

During the iron testing video, posted above, DeChambeau tested three different sets of irons: two different Cobra King Forged Tec sets, and one set of “King Tour” 3D Printed prototype irons built to match the design of his old Forged One Length irons. Based on his reaction, it seemed DeChambeau took a particular liking to the unreleased 3D-Printed versions.

This is the link to the full article:

I think these might be the unreleased/unannounced next gen one length tour irons from Cobra. Bryson had them in the bag at Hero World Challenge. I read that they are MIM also! So stoked. D1A59359-1E05-4369-9890-C2799EC8F518.jpeg

Back