One Length Irons Thread: Join the Revolution

Thanks all definitely considering anyone got any negativity on these?
I’m still getting used to the 5i/6i and get the classic low trajectory and short distances that some others have mentioned. I don’t think the long irons and OL hybrids are the easiest for a slow-swing speed player to get used to. I still play a conventional variable length 5h, and I’m pondering a VL 6h to replace my 5i until I get used to it.

If you play your current clubs 3/4-1” long, I would order your OL clubs 1” long. IMO, for OL, I would err on the long side.

I’m finally getting around the 10+ round mark with OL, and my swing is really starting to click, my last round, my first bad iron shot was on hole 15 or 16. That is Incredible for me- who typically shoots 90ish. The consistency is really starting to show from 7i and down. My 6 is coming along. The 5 is hit or miss, I need more time with it. I think part of it is the aggressive lofts, and part is a mental block that makes me want to swing too hard. If I swing too hard with OL my game goes to **** quickly. I find it’s better to keep one easy, smooth, consistent swing, and when in doubt club up instead of swinging harder.

The big difference that I notice is how quick I can warmup before a round. I have always had a routine, 8i, PW, 6i, then in between for 3-5 shots each. Before I move to hybrids, fairways, and finish with driver. Now, I can hit 10 balls and be dialed in, total, for my irons. Saves me 20-30 swings in warmups, and keeps me fresh on the back 9.

I am going to experiment a bit between my 5h and OL 7i. But 7-GW are a lock. I’m 90% sure I’ll keep the OL Rad SW. I should have my OL snakebite 56* later this month. I’m not sure how OL will transition around the green. But I’m going to give it a shot.

Question for those of you who have done the OL changeover...did you keep a set of VL irons around just in case? Or did you decide to go all in and not look back? I've been pondering OL for probably 3 years and was hitting the Radspeeds really well (except for the GW) yesterday and was really tempted but not sure I'm ready to move on from my current irons.

Question for those of you who have done the OL changeover...did you keep a set of VL irons around just in case? Or did you decide to go all in and not look back? I've been pondering OL for probably 3 years and was hitting the Radspeeds really well (except for the GW) yesterday and was really tempted but not sure I'm ready to move on from my current irons.
Still have my 919Fs here but, only until I get out to California this winter then I will leave them at my BILs for my west coast trips.

Still have a couple sets of VL. Set of W/S Launch Pads and my all time favorite iron, my trusty Staff FG17s that I’ll never part with.

All in. Traded in my previous set (TM SpeedBlades) to put towards the cost of the F9's

1st full 18 after the 5 month layoff. Shambled off the tee on aerated and sanded greens. 2nd round with the OL, carded a 77. Still adjusting to the lofts. Kinda shy on some shots and long on a few others. Gonna give them a month as my job is a 28/28 cycle. Gone for 28, home for 28. Thinking and hoping they work better with each round.

So I traded in my beloved 921 forged irons this morning and went with the radspeeds. I know the lofts are a bit strong so I went with the 6 through gap for now. Got my first round in this evening and I hit them really well. Not much of an adjustment period and hit almost double the greens in reg as normal.

I think I discovered why I was shanking the GW when trying them as I must have been subconsciously standing closer than I would be for a 7i. Once I got that figured out l, things went really well. Now I'm trying to decide if I want to do the 5 iron as part if the regular set or go with a utility iron in that spot as some have reported better results doing that.

I heard a really interesting theory (?) today comparing One Length to the Unicorn Frappuccino. It was really well delivered and.. hilarious. :LOL:

I'm just hear to confess that I laughed, but still support you all on this endeavor.

So I traded in my beloved 921 forged irons this morning and went with the radspeeds. I know the lofts are a bit strong so I went with the 6 through gap for now. Got my first round in this evening and I hit them really well. Not much of an adjustment period and hit almost double the greens in reg as normal.

I think I discovered why I was shanking the GW when trying them as I must have been subconsciously standing closer than I would be for a 7i. Once I got that figured out l, things went really well. Now I'm trying to decide if I want to do the 5 iron as part if the regular set or go with a utility iron in that spot as some have reported better results doing that.
That’s fun. Glad they are working for you right out of the gate.

Nope Just jumped in and never looked back!!

Hoping to get some swings in this weekend. We just got back home from family vacation at the beach so I had a week with no swings.

I've still got a set of VL KFTs sitting around, but havent touched them since going OL.

I've hit a few VL irons at topgolf I guess if that counts.

I've gone from the F9 One lengths to 6-W VL with a OL 4 and 5 utility iron. Best set up for me by far.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Interesting weekend. 18 holes both Saturday and Sunday and hit more than 60% of greens in reg. My average so far this year was about 40%. My scores were in the mid 70s (75 and a 76) on my home course where I had been averaging 82 over the last 3 weeks.

I'm still using variable length wedges and I think I'm going to lengthen them, probably to 36.5" to get closer to the set length.

Interesting weekend. 18 holes both Saturday and Sunday and hit more than 60% of greens in reg. My average so far this year was about 40%. My scores were in the mid 70s (75 and a 76) on my home course where I had been averaging 82 over the last 3 weeks.

I'm still using variable length wedges and I think I'm going to lengthen them, probably to 36.5" to get closer to the set length.
Chosing my MC bag I gave serious thought about OL wedge's but, they are such a intimate/feels part of my game I couldn't convince myself to not keep them VL. 😎

Nice shooting!

With my OL Morgan cup bag, I got both of my wedges 53/58 at 36.5in. It has worked very well

When I had my OL set I kept variable length wedges. Felt like the GW was going way to far for my liking/preference.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I am unfortunately still struggling a bit with this setup. I went to Club Champion before our vacation and had them check the lofts and lies and hit some balls on the simulator. The lofts and lies were all close to spec (he adjusted the 7 iron a bit) so no big deal there. We also hit some alternate shafts with their 7 iron they had in shop and the shaft I chose was performing right along with what the best he could find for me so no big deal there.

Since that is covered I will go through some of my problems. First I am struggling to really discern much difference on course with the 5, 6, & 7 iron. I could throw the six out and the gapping would be ok but when choosing between the 3 it's tough. From there the 8 is kind of inconsistent as I have smoked it 3 or 4 times with vastly different results. I am showing Arccos data below for insight, but I am either hitting it 150 or 130. 130ish is where I pull it out, but man I am struggling to trust it on my home course where long misses are death and the greens are small. Just this morning I hit another rocket from 135 on a hole where you have to be short. As soon as I hit it I knew it was trouble and it flew 10 yards over the green OB into my neighbors backyard.

Screenshot_20210713-093658.jpg

From their things get really dicey for me with the 9, PW, and GW. My 9 iron in particular should be 120ish to gap behind that 8 iron but I have just been unable to find a groove with that club. The one shot that was 128 was picked and launched low so that one makes sense, but all the 100 yarders are good crisp shots that just launched super high and came down short. Maybe I am catching them a bit fat or something, but I have not figured it out yet.

Screenshot_20210713-094108.jpg

You can see the crux of the problem with my smart yardages so far on Arccos. I am committed to being a guinea pig here so I am working to try to figure this out, but so far I am TBD on One Length.

Screenshot_20210713-094419.jpg

I am unfortunately still struggling a bit with this setup. I went to Club Champion before our vacation and had them check the lofts and lies and hit some balls on the simulator. The lofts and lies were all close to spec (he adjusted the 7 iron a bit) so no big deal there. We also hit some alternate shafts with their 7 iron they had in shop and the shaft I chose was performing right along with what the best he could find for me so no big deal there.

Since that is covered I will go through some of my problems. First I am struggling to really discern much difference on course with the 5, 6, & 7 iron. I could throw the six out and the gapping would be ok but when choosing between the 3 it's tough. From there the 8 is kind of inconsistent as I have smoked it 3 or 4 times with vastly different results. I am showing Arccos data below for insight, but I am either hitting it 150 or 130. 130ish is where I pull it out, but man I am struggling to trust it on my home course where long misses are death and the greens are small. Just this morning I hit another rocket from 135 on a hole where you have to be short. As soon as I hit it I knew it was trouble and it flew 10 yards over the green OB into my neighbors backyard.

View attachment 9016513

From their things get really dicey for me with the 9, PW, and GW. My 9 iron in particular should be 120ish to gap behind that 8 iron but I have just been unable to find a groove with that club. The one shot that was 128 was picked and launched low so that one makes sense, but all the 100 yarders are good crisp shots that just launched super high and came down short. Maybe I am catching them a bit fat or something, but I have not figured it out yet.

View attachment 9016515

You can see the crux of the problem with my smart yardages so far on Arccos. I am committed to being a guinea pig here so I am working to try to figure this out, but so far I am TBD on One Length.

View attachment 9016516
What do your gir stats say? Take my 8 iron, I am equally long and short when I miss my girl! 😳
Screenshot_20210713-095628.jpg

View attachment 9016513

View attachment 9016515

View attachment 9016516

I'd be real curious if you'd have better luck with a 5h in that top slot.

then, outside of that 8i with a couple "flyers" you're really not that far off from good gapping.

100-115-130-145-155-*5h?-180

I know I've mentioned my fix to the short iron issues, so tell me to shut up if i'm being annoying. ;)
If i don't swing 'down' and harder than i think with my short OL irons they fly high and short. Mentally I try to hit every shot stock 8i distance (150-155) and let the club do the work. (i.e. I try to hit my GW 155 - and it goes 120. If I try to hit my gap wedge 120, it goes 105)

I know I've mentioned my fix to the short iron issues, so tell me to shut up if i'm being annoying. ;)
If i don't swing 'down' and harder than i think with my short OL irons they fly high and short. Mentally I try to hit every shot stock 8i distance (150-155) and let the club do the work.
I am really trying to do that, but the fliers with the 8 iron make me :eek:. Like I said, I am not a quitter so more work to do.

I am really trying to do that, but the fliers with the 8 iron make me :eek:. Like I said, I am not a quitter so more work to do.
no one will ever convince me there aren't flyers with some of these GI and SGI clubs.

Like I do not hit an 8i 192, but alas.

Screenshot_20210713-090630.jpg

Back