One Rule You Ignore

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Very few play completely by the book (some do). If you are one that alters things from time to time, what is one thing you choose to change or ignore?

If I hit into a divot I move it to right behind the divot on the very edge of fresh grass. This is only in the fairway though.

I don't play Golf so OB/lost/hazard is just a stroke and drop

Very few play completely by the book (some do). If you are one that alters things from time to time, what is one thing you choose to change or ignore?

most of the outings or even in mens league all OB is considered red stakes just to keep pace up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I will move my ball off a tree root, and not give myself a penalty. Or anyone else who does it, as golf clubs aren't cheap.

Provisional balls or walking back to the tee. Based on our league rules we determine where the ball goes into the out of bounds and play from there (like a hazard) because of pace of play. Most of my rounds are played like this as well including those for money. Only really play this rule in tournaments.

most of the outings or even in mens league all OB is considered red stakes just to keep pace up.

Looks like I'm late for this one.

Provisional balls or walking back to the tee. Based on our league rules we determine where the ball goes into the out of bounds and play from there (like a hazard) because of pace of play. Most of my rounds are played like this as well including those for money. Only really play this rule in tournaments.

^^^^^ this

If you were asking this to tour pros their answer would be “pace of play”

I will move my ball off a tree root, and not give myself a penalty. Or anyone else who does it, as golf clubs aren't cheap.
This always

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

And it would take Kevin Na 3 minutes to answer this

Haha. Nobody’s slow.
It is funny how Na gets crucified for it, despite his round time being faster than a number of others that are fan favorites

1. My friends and I, about 20 years ago, adopted the "liberal lateral drop". If your ball goes, out-of-bounds, into a hazard, or is lost. You drop the ball into the fairway at the point closest to where you last saw it, and add a stroke. No going back to the tee, no stroke and distance, no keeping your ball between the hole and the place it crossed the margin. Just drop in the fairway, add a stroke, keep playing.

2. We move a ball off a tree root. No one needs to risk injury.

3. If your ball lands in an area with lots of pebbles, rocks or stones, you get a free drop. We don't get free equipment like the pros and it's not worth gashing up your clubs.

Last edited:
Lol, in all seriousness though. If my ball is in a divot I move it. If I’ve come up to look for a ball where we were certain it would be in play I won’t drive back and hit again just for pace of play.

As most others have said, we play OB as 2 club lengths from where you crossed to help speed up play.

Lost ball & OB are drop and a stroke from an agreed upon spot when I play with friends. Stroke and distance is too penal and time consuming.

Haha. Nobody’s slow.
It is funny how Na gets crucified for it, despite his round time being faster than a number of others that are fan favorites

I said it because I saw you post about it the other day. I swear Jason Day might be the slowest player I have seen in person.

I won't damage my clubs intentionally by hitting a ball off of rocks, cartpath, roots

The biggest violation would be for a 'lost ball' that you saw land and just knew was easily located right next to a green or fairway. Sometimes happens right down the middle during leaf season. No reason to hit a provisional because there's no expectation it's lost. I'm not doing the walk of shame for that one. We always give free drops when there's a real risk of damage or injury too.

If someone gives me a putt, I take it.

Unless I was in a paid tournament, I'd not hit off rocks...
Tree roots are suspect and not worth the risk either. Friendly game, I'd let the people I'm playing with know.
If it was a hot topic... ehh, unplayable and move on with it. I don't have the games where damaging equipment or myself is worth it.

If someone gives me a putt, I take it.

This too! AND I hate it. I just wish this custom would be squashed. Ta hell with pace of play as an excuse, I want to play golf not some other game.
AND YET! I want to fit in. So thank you and off to the next tee box.

I'd have polite words though, if someone gave a youngster a birdie putt. Because you know, it ain't earned if given.

I always kick a ball away from trees, obstructions, or lies that would potentially cause injury to myself or damage to my clubs.

Back