DataDude

I Hate LIV
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I am basically done with my golf season so it's time to start thinking about next season and what I want to work on in the offseason. Last year I ended the year at 22.3 and this season I ended at 18.4. Next year I want to get to below 15.

I read an article about getting from a high handicap down to single digit. One of the keys in the article was get a consistent short game. That is basically what I did this year. Another key was developing a one way miss. Generally I miss left, but I can hit a thin fade or a heavy hook too and my fitter told me that I hit over the top. When I do things to not go over the top I always put left to right spin on the ball so I think this will be a productive avenue to kill 2 birds with one stone. Eliminate the inconsistency of an over the top swing and a 2 way miss at the same time. Any one else miss both ways or have feelings about developing a one way miss?

I am basically done with my golf season so it's time to start thinking about next season and what I want to work on in the offseason. Last year I ended the year at 22.3 and this season I ended at 18.4. Next year I want to get to below 15.

I read an article about getting from a high handicap down to single digit. One of the keys in the article was get a consistent short game. That is basically what I did this year. Another key was developing a one way miss. Generally I miss left, but I can hit a thin fade or a heavy hook too and my fitter told me that I hit over the top. When I do things to not go over the top I always put left to right spin on the ball so I think this will be a productive avenue to kill 2 birds with one stone. Eliminate the inconsistency of an over the top swing and a 2 way miss at the same time. Any one else miss both ways or have feelings about developing a one way miss?

I have always thought of most over the top swings as a slice or dead pull. All dependent on if the club face is open or square. If you are getting a hook out of that as well, could it be a different path?

So read a few things on stopping an over the top motion. The swing thought that really fang with me was leading the down swing with a pull of my right elbow toward the ground when I fire my hips. Went out for 7 or 8 holes last night and tonight to work on this and the first thing I did was hit a big push. I have a very neutral grip so I started to work on my grip and slowly strengthened it a bit with each swing. Slowly got to a strainer path again with a slight right tail last night. I was still hitting my long irons with a big banana slice though. Tonight I started slightly strengthening my grip a little more for my irons since they should be making contact with the ball at an earlier portion of my swing than my teed up driver. This really worked well. I need to keep working obviously, but 2 days in I am pretty happy with my progress. My only swing thought right now is kind of a yank the chain type swing thought.

My path is out to in also and I generally have a one way miss. I aim for the left side of the fairway and on a good one end up on the left side or in the middle, misses end up in the right rough. I've hit 50+% of fairways doing this, but I lack distance. Iron direction misses are about 2/1 right versus left.

I'm not keeping a handicap right now, but if I do it would be around 18.

I think having a miss that primary goes one way does make golf easier.

Dave

Back