Oops... I need a new shaft for my Apex 7 iron!

@Chris

Reaction score
Handicap
So last night during my evening match play league I had a unfortunate incident with my 7 Iron. I hit my drive and ended up getting a "bad" hop that put me under a low tree branch. I though no problem, I'll just take my medicine and slap it back out into the fairway. Pretty limited on back swing, about 2 feet branch to branch as I'm standing IN this tree! Ah the things we'll do to save a stroke! So I hit it, and climbed out of the tree. Got back in the fairway! So I go to put my 7 iron back in the bag and it doesn't go! Then I looked and the shaft is bent where it contacted the branch....

SO I need a new Project X PXI 6.0 shaft for my Apex 7 iron.

My question is - My set is +1". So do I have to order a 6 iron shaft and trim it? Is the "normal" 7 iron shaft long enough to be trimmed to +1? Or am I completely off base and the factory puts a plug in the butt end to extend it? I measured the club as best I could with it bent, and it came in at 38". Which lines up with the spec's for an Apex 7 iron - 37"plus 1" = 38".

Trying to figure out what to order and where to order from...nearest shop that does repairs is over 100 miles away so I'm going to have to order stuff and try to fix it.

TIA
Chris

So last night during my evening match play league I had a unfortunate incident with my 7 Iron. I hit my drive and ended up getting a "bad" hop that put me under a low tree branch. I though no problem, I'll just take my medicine and slap it back out into the fairway. Pretty limited on back swing, about 2 feet branch to branch as I'm standing IN this tree! Ah the things we'll do to save a stroke! So I hit it, and climbed out of the tree. Got back in the fairway! So I go to put my 7 iron back in the bag and it doesn't go! Then I looked and the shaft is bent where it contacted the branch....

My question is - My set is +1". So do I have to order a 6 iron shaft and trim it? Is the "normal" 7 iron shaft long enough to be trimmed to +1? Or am I completely off base and the factory puts a plug in the butt end to extend it? I measured the club as best I could with it bent, and it came in at 38". Which lines up with the spec's for an Apex 7 iron - 37"plus 1" = 38".

Trying to figure out what to order and where to order from...nearest shop that does repairs is over 100 miles away so I'm going to have to order stuff and try to fix it.

TIA
Chris

The 7i taper tip shaft is 38" long, so you should be good playing it +1".

If they're anything like the lz's I just installed, they come long and have to be trimmed to length.

order it from Golfworks and trim to fit

Oops....

Try dropping DB a message and ask him? Pretty sure he would be able to give you the definitive answer?

TIA
Chris

The normal 7 iron shaft should be long enough to be built 1" over.

DB

Thanks everyone! :smile:

Two follow up questions if I may:
1) what tip size does Callaway use? .355?

2) source to buy the shaft? (checked golfworks and they didn't show it in stock....)

You may be able to find one on ebay. Just be sure to get one that hasn't been butt cut yet. If you get a pull, odds are it'll have been cut to standard length already.

Remember to install the shaft first and then trim to length. Hireko has a chart that you can put on the wall and using a yard stick and knowing the club lie, you can get the exact length done properly.

I hate Tapatalk

Back