Open Your Rib Cage

dhartmann34

Reaction score
Handicap
My instructor has been talking about opening my rib right cage to get my golf swing moving. And I couldn't really get the concept through my head. But I recently found this video and it clicked. I'm able to get a much bigger turn, and helps relieve my issues of an over the top swing, along with a few other issues that have plagued me.

Anyone else ever used this concept to get their swing started?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I haven't but I like the swing thought during the practice swings. I tend to be OTT; I'll have to try this

I haven't but I like the swing thought during the practice swings. I tend to be OTT; I'll have to try this
A simple thought for me when I finally understood it.

Nice simple explanation.

It's interesting how some explanations just resonate with some players, and other ones sound like mumbo-jumbo. This was on the simple & easy end of the spectrum for me.

"The ribcage. This is almost like the barrel, the engine that turns the golf swing. You can't really turn much else, without you know, at least a significant amount, without turning the ribcage. It's almost the connector between the upper body and the lower body. "

Story of my life, man. :(

Does seem like a simple thought for most that would let you focus on that part, and let the rest follow along naturally. (y)

I know what I'm going to be thinking about the next time I hit the driving range - I like it!

When I last had a swing evaluation the issue pointed out was the lack of turn through the ball, especially with the hips. Taking some practice swings with this "rib cage" thought in mind feels really great and really seems to help me turn everything through the ball, including hips. I like it!

This seems pretty solid. If anything, it looks like it'll keep your chest over the ball more and probably help with more solid contact. Might have to sneak away to the range to confirm if this is indeed the case.

Going to have to remember this when I go to the sim Monday. Feels like a good thought when I just tried it without a club.

Its a good way to feel out if you are keeping your trunk/torso in line with your shoulders and arms. One of my bigger swing flaws from a few years ago was getting lazy with the ribcage/torso and using my arms to move into the correct position which caused some plane issues. Once I started making sure my upper toros made a full turn, the stress on the shoulders and arms was reduced but I actually gained swing speed.

Its a good simple swing thought when working on proper position and plane management.

This seems pretty solid. If anything, it looks like it'll keep your chest over the ball more and probably help with more solid contact. Might have to sneak away to the range to confirm if this is indeed the case.
Yeah it makes me feel much more centered doing it. Now if only the snow would stop!

But for now I just keep practicing it in my living room.

Feels simple and free. Seems to start the process of turning everything you want to turn in a golf swing....and I like it.

I've been trying to feel this during chips and putts as well. I like it. Really keeps my head centered.

Tried this tonight at the range, you can definitely overdo it. In my case, I felt like I turned my rib cage through the ball too fast and I hit a bunch of low punch shots with it. Useful, but also not what I wanted.

Tried this tonight at the range, you can definitely overdo it. In my case, I felt like I turned my rib cage through the ball too fast and I hit a bunch of low punch shots with it. Useful, but also not what I wanted.
Leprechaun power!

As they say in Mythbusters: "If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing!"

One of the many reasons why golf is hard - A little bit of "X" works great...and before I know it, I'm overdoing it & now have new problems!

As they say in Mythbusters: "If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing!"

One of the many reasons why golf is hard - A little bit of "X" works great...and before I know it, I'm overdoing it & now have new problems!
I think that's definitely something you need to take into consideration. There's always an amount you can overdo it I suppose. My focus is just on the backswing right now. Opening up that rib cage and getting the backswing. Instead of turning the shoulders and getting all discombobulated as I tend to do. We'll see what the future holds...

Anyone notice a LOT more core engagement with this move?

Anyone notice a LOT more core engagement with this move?

Very much so, which is probably why I was hitting everything a lot lower and with some really inconsistent contact. Lean the shaft too much, and everything just digs and is super delofted.

Very much so, which is probably why I was hitting everything a lot lower and with some really inconsistent contact. Lean the shaft too much, and everything just digs and is super delofted.
My coach says I should be using my core much more than I am. Says it'll be much easier on my back in the long run. I tend to pick or hit up on the ball now. So delofting wouldn't be horrible for me I suppose.

My coach says I should be using my core much more than I am. Says it'll be much easier on my back in the long run. I tend to pick or hit up on the ball now. So delofting wouldn't be horrible for me I suppose.

Makes sense. It's very much like taking Advil when you have a headache. You want a bit, not the whole bottle.

Makes sense. It's very much like taking Advil when you have a headache. You want a bit, not the whole bottle.
Good way to put it. Can't wait to get to Austin next week and try it out in real life

Good way to put it. Can't wait to get to Austin next week and try it out in real life

Start with pitch shots, something really off speed. You want to get the technique and timing down before you start to speed it up. I think in my case when I tried it, I ate the bottle. I already use my core and rotate pretty hard through the shot, and overdoing it for me is a lot of shaft lean, and spinning out. Lower body runs out of room to keep turning and stops, nothing good is going to come from that.

Start with pitch shots, something really off speed. You want to get the technique and timing down before you start to speed it up. I think in my case when I tried it, I ate the bottle. I already use my core and rotate pretty hard through the shot, and overdoing it for me is a lot of shaft lean, and spinning out. Lower body runs out of room to keep turning and stops, nothing good is going to come from that.
Nice and steady. It's crazy to watch the pros, men and women. Seems like they're hardly moving when they come through the ball... And yet generating so much speed.

Back