Open Your Rib Cage

:drinks:

Nice and steady. It's crazy to watch the pros, men and women. Seems like they're hardly moving when they come through the ball... And yet generating so much speed.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last time I was at the range I kinda had that same thought. Think of it like the big gear on a six speed: doesn't have to turn fast in order to make speed. Just has to get turning. It'll never spin as fast as the little gear, but that little gear does a whole lot of movement for not a lot of speed.

Thanks for sharing.

For some people it is simply moving the front of the left foot out slightly and that realigns their body mass a bit when they swing. One guy I know did this and has really helped him. The toughest thing is he keeps forgetting it.

So I have been working on this a bit too because of OTT issues. A couple of ntoes that have really resonated with me lately that I am implementing is keeping my weight on the inside of my right foot on the backswing. When the weight goes outside you are swaying whether it looks like it or not and this introduces inconsistent ballstriking. I worked on this a bit and I felt like I just could not get much of a backswing so I started looking around for some insights and reading about creating width on the backswing. I started noticing where I am bringing the club back is much lower than it needs to be. I even looked at some pros top of backswing to confirm. What I have always done is my left arm comes across my chest smooshing my left nipple and in a strait line across my right one, a lot like Kuchar below. When I went to a position more like Tiger the swing really opens up keeping my weight on the inside right foot and I picked up the high launch again on well struck shots. Furyk is obviously a different case altogether, but I think it's telling that neither of those guys have the distance that Tiger has despite being similar height and athleticism. Most of the longer hitters are on the same plane Tiger is on.

Left-Arm-Spectrum-P4-e13976800122741-600x384.png

So I have been working on this a bit too because of OTT issues. A couple of ntoes that have really resonated with me lately that I am implementing is keeping my weight on the inside of my right foot on the backswing. When the weight goes outside you are swaying whether it looks like it or not and this introduces inconsistent ballstriking. I worked on this a bit and I felt like I just could not get much of a backswing so I started looking around for some insights and reading about creating width on the backswing. I started noticing where I am bringing the club back is much lower than it needs to be. I even looked at some pros top of backswing to confirm. What I have always done is my left arm comes across my chest smooshing my left nipple and in a strait line across my right one, a lot like Kuchar below. When I went to a position more like Tiger the swing really opens up keeping my weight on the inside right foot and I picked up the high launch again on well struck shots. Furyk is obviously a different case altogether, but I think it's telling that neither of those guys have the distance that Tiger has despite being similar height and athleticism. Most of the longer hitters are on the same plane Tiger is on.

The last year or so that has been one of my checkpoints: keep the weight on the inside of my right foot going back. It really does help with my tendency to sway off the ball. My sway wasn’t huge but it was very easy to see when I did it because of the ball flight. Most of the time I wasn’t aware I was doing it on my poor shots.

Have you recorded your swing to confirm what you’re doing? I bet I am also more like Kuchar than I think.

The last year or so that has been one of my checkpoints: keep the weight on the inside of my right foot going back. It really does help with my tendency to sway off the ball. My sway wasn’t huge but it was very easy to see when I did it because of the ball flight. Most of the time I wasn’t aware I was doing it on my poor shots.

Have you recorded your swing to confirm what you’re doing? I bet I am also more like Kuchar than I think.
Yes, I can also feel it in my backswing. Kuchar must be super flexible. I have no backswing whatsoever when I use my old level without swaying. Going higher I can get plenty far back without overly bending my left arm or bending my left wrist (can't think of the term now but the opposite of cupping). I also come down steeper on the ball and impart the backspin neccasary for launch.

Wasn't it Mac O'Grady whose theory of the wing revolved around using the core? I think his definition of the core was a little lower than rib cage, however.

Nice simple video. Although at the beginning he says something about not just rotating the shoulders. Guess I am stumped on this. Can’t see how one could rotate the shoulders without the torso/rib cage. Well unless somebody was freakishly double jointed or something.

Nice simple video. Although at the beginning he says something about not just rotating the shoulders. Guess I am stumped on this. Can’t see how one could rotate the shoulders without the torso/rib cage. Well unless somebody was freakishly double jointed or something.

You actually can rotate your shoulders more than your rib age. Not a ton, but I think he means it’s easy to “cheat” and feel like you’re turning but it’s mostly shoulders and not core turning around a stable spine

That's usually my issue. Turning the shoulders and not getting my core turned. Try turning your shoulders and leaving your belly button facing forward.... That's what I see as not turning your core.

That's usually my issue. Turning the shoulders and not getting my core turned. Try turning your shoulders and leaving your belly button facing forward.... That's what I see as not turning your core.

makes sense. I’m on the opposite end. I turn my shoulders, core and hips all in one unit getting no separation. As soon as I try separating the hips from the upper body I
Struggle.

Great!! Another swing thought!!! LOL

I've heard of "turn the belly button" back and then through, but not the ribcage.

My father in law had a quadruple bypass back in July. The title of this thread makes me cringe every time I see it pop up. :p

I've heard of "turn the belly button" back and then through, but not the ribcage.
I think opening up the rib cage gets me more if a vertical move, than jus turning my belly button. But obviously it's a different understanding for everyone.

I’ve been working on something similar.

Interesting. I have trouble with backswing turn and depth so I may experiment with some of your findings. I have for awhile been trying to flatten my backswing by going across my chest rather than above thinking I would be using less arms and I could turn my body more. Always felt and been told I was all arms and too steep. I think you may have told me why my launch angle with driver has gotten too low(used to be higher) and losing carry. Certainly, worth trying. Thanks for posting.

My father in law had a quadruple bypass back in July. The title of this thread makes me cringe every time I see it pop up. :p
I also did 9 yrs ago -- it will get better for him and he'll be able to use his rib cage. Tell him to find a masseuse.

I tried this swing thought for 9 holes on Tuesday afternoon. I hit the driver very straight, but lost distance. Now I have to figure out how to speed up the swing and maintain the same positions

Nice swing thought, often I will try to turn my back to the target, but will try this as soon as the snow melts :)

Back