orange whip trainer - Worth the cost?

I just bought one and am going to do my first session with it this afternoon. Finding a space indoors where I can swing it is a little bit of a challenge though :)

I had to clear some stuff out around my work area to swing freely. When you get done with the trainer you can wrap your driver around you back in your follow the with no effort. Keep using it!! Hope Greensboro is ok. Charlotte is soaked and many roads are too dangerous to drive on.

I had to clear some stuff out around my work area to swing freely. When you get done with the trainer you can wrap your driver around you back in your follow the with no effort. Keep using it!! Hope Greensboro is ok. Charlotte is soaked and many roads are too dangerous to drive on.

We're good. Tons of rain and lost power for about 6 hours this morning, but otherwise we're good. Stay dry!

I absolutely love my orange whip trainer. It's a great tool for warm-up. But it's also excellent when you want to get your timing right on various swing speeds. Whether you are at a half swing, or swinging out of your cleats, the orange whip will let you know if your tempo is off. Watching where it goes as you impact the tee will naturally will help you remove a slice. A lot of people stand too far away from ball, hit on toe & out to in. Very great tool and a good workout to boot.

100% agree with the positive comments. Use it to loosen up preround. It allows you to make a better turn and to sequence the swing. It stays in my bag so it’s handy to use at the range or at home.

Hey guys, appreciate the thread. I had bought the SKLZ off amazon for $50 or so and had been using it the last couple of weeks. I assumed it was the same thing as the orange whip and for half the price, why not? In reading the thread I decided to buy an orange whip off of ebay to see what I though between the two. I bought the compact version of both as I would be using it a lot inside in the winter months.

First the compact version of the SKLZ is about 4 inches longer than the compact orange whip. It makes a big difference swinging inside. 8 foot ceilings are no issue with the whip but with the SKLZ it was. I had to move into the room with a higher ceiling.

I got the orange whip today and after about 10 swings it was obviously a better product. Better grip (it's a wrap, so easy on your hand with no glove), better action and feedback in the swing and also it was lighter. I found the SKLZ was more just a weighted club. Good for strength and flexibility but not so much timing.

I have already dropped off the SKLZ at the post office to return it to Amazon. The Orange whip is worth the extra in my opinion.

It's very good, as well as the swing fan. The swing fan let's you know if you're swinging 'too early' because you hear the sound before the ball. Also, for me the most invaluable training aid is the impact bag. It's a visual I can't forget because I can feel and see if my body is rotating into impact. All are good.

Iv'e never used it it just seems so un golf like the driver and other clubs don't whip

It’s not supposed to swing like a normal club, it’s a tempo trainer, works marvelously too.

Iv'e never used it it just seems so un golf like the driver and other clubs don't whip

I was always a short hitter with the driver, 200 was real good, 230 was a monster drive only happening when ground was hard. After getting OW it immediately taught me how to swing using my body and after getting used to the change I regularly now hit 235-250yds and had several in the 260s. My longest being 269 during league. I only wish I had spent the money on one sooner. There's a reason why so many pros have it in their arsenal. It works.

All the guys in my league that saw it laughed and called it my orange dildo but now I'm the one laughing as I'm outdriving most of them not only with distance but consistency as well.

I’ve had the whip for years but stopped using it a long time ago as it wasn’t fixing my swing faults as I thought it would.
So I pulled this thing out of the basement before my last round. There’s no range at the course and I was a little sore from previous days workouts. It felt great and seemed to help me warm up and with my sequencing when I swung it.
As my journey to improve continues, one thing that need work is sequencing. I’ve had a couple seasons at Golftec but after spending a lot of money on my home sim I decided not to go back. I do however have a good understanding of what I need to do to improve. Putting everything together has really not happened yet. If I focus on path, my weight shift suffers, if I focus on weight shift, my path suffers. I’m really trying to nail down an inside approach with proper shift and hands forward at impact and a solid release. Sequencing was really the last thing we were trying to nail down at Golftec.
So a couple of days ago I got my sim mat out and decided to film my orange whip swings followed by a 5 iron swing. I have my alignment stick on an inside out path and my goal was to swing along that path. Well after viewing my swings I was impressed. Path, weight shift with open hips (I struggle on that), and release were great. Even my 5 iron was showing well. I have to translate that with a ball in front of me but if I can keep this sequencing going and get it to a subconscious level that would be fantastic.

Inside approach
045a5add6840484ee25d77b92b30767e.jpg

c8885d02d71fa4c408ea8e8f642e76b4.jpg

Great weight shift
33f2113a4570f807cf218552c6a6c4e6.jpg

f84c840ab00e79c4dece40aeb1321fc1.jpg

2f5585f31964f26f09c8e9c92917c4a4.jpg

Solid impact
a96bfde014af440f1f5669404f1e420c.jpg

a7196c0a7809a2e1a5878d408880d9ee.jpg

2788e5b5e2ff856c0bbf3444dee5c9c2.jpg

Good release. What’s amazing here is that my arms crossed feels nothing like the pic and keeps me from getting too handsy in my release.
44847ded297d37bd5f066b536d894e83.jpg

de6f74e6596d6e17661a94b389bbf3e9.jpg

I’m really hoping this is the last stage to putting it all together.

It’s not supposed to swing like a normal club, it’s a tempo trainer, works marvelously too.

Jman, question for you as you coached golfers.
I'm having issues with transferring my weight from Back to Front on the Downswing.
Don't transfer the weight and hit fat shots. I think it's an affect of losing some weight and my timing is off.

Think this would help with that?

What's not to like? I use mine before every round, and anytime I don't get to play for a few days.

I'm still loving mine.

Being somewhat advanced in years, and particularly being new to the game, I find doing the stretches I've been doing for years, followed-up by a session with my Orange Whip, are great for loosening me up before swinging a club.

Also, working-out with the OW a few days ago revealed a serious flaw in my swing. It might have been worth it for that one thing, alone :)

never used OW, but thought about it. Seems like good aid for tempo. One admin on other forum (self proclaimed guru), says if you use OW, it will teach you to swing slow.

So I have had mine for several years. My main reason I bought it was because my oldest son's instructor made him use one from time to time during his lessons.

The instructor suggested I use it help with my transition from top starting down swing.

Basically I setup normal and begin swing-back swing and wait until I feel the Orange Whip kinda bend/flop down at top of my backswing, at that point (feeling the whip bend) I begin shifting my weight and transitioning into downswing. Works for me.

Oh and its really good to warm up with before playing on course or are pressed for time and can't hit enough range balls before starting your round.

I need to start swinging mine again.

I use the driver one
Are people using the driver one or the iron one.
I use the driver one.

I think if your swing is imbalanced, you cup your wrist, or your plane wanders it might help slow you down (not you baylr, the general 'you'), because it'll get out of control. Outside of stuff like that it might help with smoothing a tempo, but not slowing it down, imo. I can rip on it pretty dang fast. I do think it has good potential to shorten a backswing that's long though. You can't really bring your hands high and hinge a bunch in combination unless your transition is really slow, because it'll get out of control or wrap around your body. So it kind of encourages you to keep it short at the top.

I use driver one... Sklz version to stretch and get some speed n tempo. Works nicely but also detrimental of I go out and lumber jack it. Bad form trying to get speedy

Don't buy the SKILLZ. I used someone else's Orange Whip one day and immediately had a good tempo. I bought a SKILLZ and it just didn't feel the same. In fact because all the weight is out on the end of the club it made me exacerbate my early release and over the top.

Are people using the driver one or the iron one.
I use the driver one, but also choke down on it occasionally (i.e. when I'm too lazy to go outside to swing it).

hmmm, there seems to be a consensus here. I may have to reconsider, regardless of what that admin/instructor on the other forum claims. Kind of pricey...but...if it works/helps....well....

I’ve had the whip for years but stopped using it a long time ago as it wasn’t fixing my swing faults as I thought it would.
So I pulled this thing out of the basement before my last round. There’s no range at the course and I was a little sore from previous days workouts. It felt great and seemed to help me warm up and with my sequencing when I swung it.
As my journey to improve continues, one thing that need work is sequencing. I’ve had a couple seasons at Golftec but after spending a lot of money on my home sim I decided not to go back. I do however have a good understanding of what I need to do to improve. Putting everything together has really not happened yet. If I focus on path, my weight shift suffers, if I focus on weight shift, my path suffers. I’m really trying to nail down an inside approach with proper shift and hands forward at impact and a solid release. Sequencing was really the last thing we were trying to nail down at Golftec.
So a couple of days ago I got my sim mat out and decided to film my orange whip swings followed by a 5 iron swing. I have my alignment stick on an inside out path and my goal was to swing along that path. Well after viewing my swings I was impressed. Path, weight shift with open hips (I struggle on that), and release were great. Even my 5 iron was showing well. I have to translate that with a ball in front of me but if I can keep this sequencing going and get it to a subconscious level that would be fantastic.

Inside approach
045a5add6840484ee25d77b92b30767e.jpg

c8885d02d71fa4c408ea8e8f642e76b4.jpg

Great weight shift
33f2113a4570f807cf218552c6a6c4e6.jpg

f84c840ab00e79c4dece40aeb1321fc1.jpg

2f5585f31964f26f09c8e9c92917c4a4.jpg

Solid impact
a96bfde014af440f1f5669404f1e420c.jpg

a7196c0a7809a2e1a5878d408880d9ee.jpg

2788e5b5e2ff856c0bbf3444dee5c9c2.jpg

Good release. What’s amazing here is that my arms crossed feels nothing like the pic and keeps me from getting too handsy in my release.
44847ded297d37bd5f066b536d894e83.jpg

de6f74e6596d6e17661a94b389bbf3e9.jpg

I’m really hoping this is the last stage to putting it all together.
Really great looking form (not that I am qualified to evaluate).

Becoming more interested. What do y'all think about how the OW Original compares with the OW Light Speed? I know they are for different purpose, but am wondering if one would be best of both worlds. I saw an OW offered for abut 1/3 less, but the site gives me pause to wonder if same product or knockoff. My goal is more distance and I realize that speed will get you there, but sequencing and contact are important as well.

Back