orange whip trainer - Worth the cost?

JayB

Reaction score
Handicap
I typically abstain from golf training aid; too much schlok out there. I was playing with an orange whip in a big box store hitting bay and it makes a bunch of sense as a tempo trainer. I was ready to buy it, and then I saw the $109 price?!?! I put it back down right away. As I continue to ponder, do those who have it and use it find that it provides a benefit for it's absurd price?

I bought mine on Amazon through Warehouse Deals.

I use it to warm up only instead of the range.

I typically abstain from golf training aid; too much schlok out there. I was playing with an orange whip in a big box store hitting bay and it makes a bunch of sense as a tempo trainer. I was ready to buy it, and then I saw the $109 price?!?! I put it back down right away. As I continue to ponder, do those who have it and use it find that it provides a benefit for it's absurd price?

Skilz has one for like half the price and it’s the same thing. It’s great for loosening up pre round and I think it helps set a good tempo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been wanting to get one as well, but like you said, that's a crazy price. I'll probably end up getting the SKILZ one sometime this season.

I bought mine on Amazon through Warehouse Deals.

I use it to warm up only instead of the range.

This is what I do too. I usually avoid the range pre-round just out of fear that some bad shots may set the wrong tone. It's great to warm up the muscles and groove a nice tempo before the first tee.

I've had both an orange whip and skilz trainer. I do prefer the whip, but part of that may be because I bought the intermediate (gold) length whip instead of the driver length.

Skilz has one for like half the price and it’s the same thing. It’s great for loosening up pre round and I think it helps set a good tempo.

No it's not, the SKLZ one is not counterweighted.

I bought one at the end of last season at Dicks at a reduced price. One was dirty and had a price tag of 82 and change on it. It was mismarked but they gave it to me for that price and said they don't sell anyways. There are a few exercises to do with it (Find them on Youtube) and totally helps you get tempo. Now for me I was always an "All Arms" type of swing and it quickly taught me how to engage my lower body. I have only been able to hit in a dome but I have already seen an improvement to my ball striking and really can't wait for the season to start to actually get out on the coarse. I also start my day by swinging it to get loosened up and get the tempo feeling going.

They also have different length Whips and mine is the longest one but if I was to buy one now I would buy the "Compact" version as it is more In the House friendly. For me I can say it was money very well spent and I wish I had bought one long ago but I didn't because of the pricetag like you.

I have one and I find it very helpful. Even more so that we are fixing some technique stuff in my lessons with creating width in my swing. It easy for me to apply to swinging and stretching with it while reinforcing the tempo. I have the longest one. I've been tempted to try the wedge.

The Orange Whip is the longest tenured training aid in my bag. It's worth it simply for the warm up aspect of it, and the tempo training makes it awesome.

They're a little pricey, but they do their job just as advertised. I wound up selling mine, only because I started walking more rounds and wanted to clear some weight out of my bag. It's not overly heavy but every little bit counts. The same thing can be accomplished swinging 2 or 3 clubs together but it's a great product. I went with the midsize FYI.

I really like mine, use it mainly to warm up now, but swinging it helped get rid of my slice & I never hit a draw ever until I started using it.

There are several threads with lots of info:

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...-orange-whip?p=2738241&viewfull=1#post2738241

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php/33334-Orange-Whip-amp-Peel-Review

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php/16030-Orange-Whip

I know the SKILZ club is cheaper but I don't think it feels the same to me (it's not counterweighted like the Orange whip).

If you want the same type of tempo training benefits while being able to hit balls, you might want to look into the GForce training club. I've hit it indoors so far a few times & I like what I'm seeing, but need to hit this on a range.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I heard that it is a warmup toll predominantly. Tough to justify the price just for warm up when I can grab two or three clubs.

I got one from DICKS using a 20%off coupon and love it. Yes I use it to warm up but also just playing with the kids in the front yard. I will practice with it just to stretch out my back or to help stay loose. For me just a couple of min a day with it makes all the difference. It has helped my tempo and would certainly buy it again. I have the driver length but I think I would get the iron length next time. Also search on here but this is counter weighted and the SKILZ is not I believe. This was the main reason I bought the Orange Whip.

How does the Rukket Red Head compare? Its description says it is counterweighted.

IMO these trainers are deceptively good because the orange ball is visible thru the swing, meaning I can clearly see the path of the ball. Next, the idea, at least for me, is to loosen up all the swing killing tension muscles, especially those that grab onto the club at the start of the downswing. Plus, the ball forces more lag because the club really wants you to swing freely.

In the beginning of use, I found myself applying needless force on the downswing, but after several swings it becomes obvious that the weighted ball wants to travel along a natural path. Adding tension ruins the path, as well as speed. The Orange Whip is counterbalanced which I think amplifies the effect of free swinging.

One word...YES.
It is well worth the cost to groove slot and lag.

YES...and YES! But don't just swing it to "loosen up" IMO. Swing it to feel the natural movements in the golf swing. Swing with almost zero grip tension...back to the top - no tension...let your hips rotate / unwind....hands just fall naturally...tons of lag without trying...keep going back and forth...almost like meditation. As you swing with zero tension, the orange color will allow your eyes to see the path of the ball. IMPORTANT!!!! Tee up a ball at a distance you normally hit your driver. Then swing the whip tension free, again, back and forth...over and over.....using your body to create movement back and forth....don't stop...back/forth.

I bet a dozen ProV-1's that you will see that the swing path of the orange ball is inside where you are playing the ball now. In my experience 'tension' forces my swing path "outwards" vs. it's natural path, robbing me of distance and accuracy.

I am trying to swing the Orange Whip on days that I can’t hit balls. As others have said, I try to swing loosely and allow the weighted ball to follow its natural path. If it’s only just keeping me loose and stretched, that’s enough, but I think it helps me allow my clubs to follow their natural arc and stay on plane. It promotes full shoulder turn, and I also concentrate on a full follow-through that hopefully will also translate to staying with the swing on the course.

I was working with one of my customers today and we pull up to this place that uses some of my products. Imagine my surprise when we walk in:

4c0fb0669f4fa0e94cd5d71d32b9201c.jpg

29c3e1afdacc00e9c31565bf5604db21.jpg

Jimmy was very giving of his time and showed me the new putters and wedges. Man is the wedge awesome. If you are a flipper with the wedge it will help immediately
f4d9a9e3628f05145f87d145e6ffdf28.jpg

a6b2ae258e7f1a4bf0ebba2c3c043fa1.jpg

377518d6500aaa02a0c6e66a6ede1026.jpg

For a golf junky it was a great call and I now know that my products are used in the manufacturing process which is pretty cool.

For a golf junky it was a great call and I now know that my products are used in the manufacturing process which is pretty cool.

Very cool John! Where are they located?

Very cool John! Where are they located?

Easley, SC. I thought I had a pic of the new putter too but can't find it. Same timing principle is used with the putter to promote a pendulum stroke. Putter face has both bulge and roll so strokes that are 'manipulated' are exposed. Was a real pleasure to speak with them and listen to the thoughts behind the designs.

JM

Thank goodness for the Orange Whip as I’m home bound due to the rains we are having courtesy of Hurricane Florence. I’ve spent hours in the garage with the Whip doing the various drills. My YMCA is closed so this is my workout. When you put a club in your hands after using this it feels weightless and my follow through is automatic which is not always so as I get older. Great device.

Thank goodness for the Orange Whip as I’m home bound due to the rains we are having courtesy of Hurricane Florence. I’ve spent hours in the garage with the Whip doing the various drills. My YMCA is closed so this is my workout. When you put a club in your hands after using this it feels weightless and my follow through is automatic which is not always so as I get older. Great device.

I just bought one and am going to do my first session with it this afternoon. Finding a space indoors where I can swing it is a little bit of a challenge though :)

Back